best/favorite painters

DRSB

Re: best/favorite painters

Post by DRSB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:47 am

The Garnet Tearoom. Alexandr Volkov, 1886-1957, Uzbekistan or ex-USSR.
Attachments
The Garnet Tearoom, Alexander Volkov.jpg

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 am

Is that Jesus or the Prophet Mohammed?

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 pm

NineBerry wrote:Is that Jesus or the Prophet Mohammed?
Neither, just a tea round.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:40 am

S Pinker
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:14 pm

S. Vitberg, 1921, On the boulevard
Attachments
Vitberg, 1921.jpg

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:38 am

Leon Bakst, 1915
Attachments
Leon Bakst.jpg

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:39 am

I. Veintrob, 1919
Attachments
I. Vajntrob, 1919.jpg

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 am

American Restaurant in Saratoga. Spring.
Lev Meshberg
Attachments
Lev Meshberg.jpg

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:46 am

Putting the F in Art?
Belgian police examine claims Russian art show was 'full of fakes'

Homes across Belgium have been raided by police investigating allegations that counterfeit Russian avant-garde works were exhibited at the Museum of Fine Arts in Ghent.

The display of 26 pieces, loaned by the Russian businessman Igor Toporovski, was terminated by the gallery in January after experts claimed it was full of fakes. The museum’s director, Catherine de Zegher, was suspended from her post earlier this month.

Experts claim Europe has become awash with counterfeit Russian works in recent years.

Last Friday the Wiesbaden regional court in the western German state of Hesse sentenced two men to 32 months and three years in prison respectively for having knowingly sold forged pictures that had been presented as works by artists including El Lissitzky, Kazimir Malevichand Alexander Rodchenko.

The pair were ordered to pay back about €1m (£875,000) they had made through the sale of the pictures...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... _clipboard
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 am

I know, it is so lucrative!
I once organized a concert sponsoring of Credit Suisse for the gallery Gmurzynska in St. Moritz for a Russian Avantgarde exhibition and Yves Klein, what a combination! The concert was a performance of Symphony Monotone by Klein. Anyway, I had invited clients and they too pointed out fakes. Kristina Gmurzynska herself has a bad rep for helping out smuggle Hardjiev's collection from Russia to Amsterdam in the early 90s, stuffing pictures in suitcases and boxes and tugging them herself, and then selling out one by one 6 pieces by Malevich and other things. Her mother set up the Musium of modern art in Cologne, Kristina herself is more in Switzerland.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:12 am

DRSB wrote:I know, it is so lucrative!
I once organized a concert sponsoring of Credit Suisse for the gallery Gmurzynska in St. Moritz for a Russian Avantgarde exhibition and Yves Klein, what a combination! The concert was a performance of Symphony Monotone by Klein. Anyway, I had invited clients and they too pointed out fakes. Kristina Gmurzynska herself has a bad rep for helping out smuggle Hardjiev's collection from Russia to Amsterdam in the early 90s, stuffing pictures in suitcases and boxes and tugging them herself, and then selling out one by one 6 pieces by Malevich and other things. Her mother set up the Musium of modern art in Cologne, Kristina herself is more in Switzerland.
I don't believe in fake art. It is real. Every part of a piece that stirs emotion must be real. The spirit of a piece of art is not lost via duplication. Albeit careful duplication is far better than shoddy duplication. No one questions the duplication of a novel. Indeed the written work could find very little audience if it was stalled at the first rendering. There are some galleries here in Lincoln, they carry very little Russian art. I'd be interested in becoming a go between? :tea:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:34 am

Reproductions are fine. Conning people is not. Some of the fakes are not even reproductions, just close enough to what might have been.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 am

DRSB wrote:Reproductions are fine. Conning people is not. Some of the fakes are not even reproductions, just close enough to what might have been.
I'm not saying anything should be criminal but legitimate and highly accurate reproductions of art should abound - to spread culture and reduce superstition. This happens with books. And I'm not against first editions holding inflated values for historic reasons but the art market in first edition paintings is widely inflated compared with the written word, when for reasons of raising culture, they should hold parity or be the other way around.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 am

Folks are misled to believe the dopamine kick they obtain from a purchase with the thing in and of itself. That's the ultimate con.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2016/12/02 ... d-hoffman/

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 am

cronus wrote:
DRSB wrote:Reproductions are fine. Conning people is not. Some of the fakes are not even reproductions, just close enough to what might have been.
I'm not saying anything should be criminal but legitimate and highly accurate reproductions of art should abound - to spread culture and reduce superstition. This happens with books. And I'm not against first editions holding inflated values for historic reasons but the art market in first edition paintings is widely inflated compared with the written word, when for reasons of raising culture, they should hold parity or be the other way around.
The question is whether they do it for love or for money, you know. There is a great deal of money around the Russian Avantgard. Criminality is only a natural consequence.