best/favorite painters

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

best/favorite painters

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:09 pm

I'll start with an obvious choice, Hieronymus Bosch.

The Garden of Earthly Delights
His paintings have been difficult to translate from a modern point of view; attempts to associate instances of modern sexual imagery with fringe sects or the occult have largely failed. Today he is seen as a hugely individualistic painter with deep insight into man's desires and deepest fears.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hieronymus_Bosch

DRSB

Re: best/favorite painters

Post by DRSB » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:28 pm

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:31 pm

piscator

Post by piscator » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Sydney Mortimer Laurence (1865–1940) was an American Romantic landscape painter and is widely considered one of Alaska's most important historical artists.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 pm

that aurora one, just wow
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:03 pm

-fantastic stuff guys

William Orpen - I've enjoyed his portraits for awhile now. But there are a few other works that are something else entirely.

Dead Germans in a Trench

http://artuk.org/discover/artworks/sear ... rench-6121

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:25 pm

Chris Foss, GIEGER, Escher and anything with some weirdness...not on the beaten track so to speak.

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:20 am

I want to look into more sci-fi inspired work.

Max Ernst -

At the First Clear Word

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:43 am

Pavel Filonov, 1883-1941
Attachments
filonov_head.jpg
filonov_head.jpg (47.25 KiB) Viewed 18165 times

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Paul Klee

Joan Miro

Ralph Steadman

Aubrey Beardsley

lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Renoir, Luncheon of the Boating Party is one of my favorite paintings. It's hard to put my finger on it, but these people intrigue me and bother me at the same time. They seem vacuous and uninterested in each other, despite being together. The young lady on the left has her dog up on the dining table, not interested in her friends. All of them are depicted as half in the bag, with many bottles of wine and glasses. The guy on the right in the hat is staring off into the distance and not interacting with anyone (maybe gazing at the harbor in the distance). The guy in the tan jacket behind the lady in the blue dress is hovering over her like a drunk, eyes closed and not saying anything (mouth closed). The lady in the blue dress is not looking at him, despite him being right in her space and hovering, and she may be, but it's not clear, looking at the guy in the hat. It's kind of like she's looking in his direction -- but, the guy in the hat and the lady in the blue dress are clearly not interacting.

The lady in the middle with the glass to her lips is drinking and not interacting with anyone. The guy to her left (our right) is staring straight out at the boats. The guy in the top hat looks like he may be trying to talk to the guy with the cigarette, but the guy with the cigarette looks to be ignoring him.

On the top right there is a scene where it looks like the guy is getting close to the lady in the hat, leaning in, but she has her hands up covering her ears, and looks to be staring off away from the people near her.

It's weird. Creepy gathering.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:36 pm

William Holman Hunt (The Scapegoat)

(Light Of The World)

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:29 pm

Some great choices above. I went to Art school as a kid. I must say getting to know the history of art was a great opportunity, though I pretty quickly discovered how much bollocks the 'interpretation' of art often involved. I love some of the surrealists and some of the impressionists too, but a forerunner of them both, more the impressionists perhaps, was Turner. I have spent many happy hours in London where many of his paintings are collected in one place (the National). He was way ahead of his time - and impressionist well before anyone knew what that was. He is without doubt my favourite painter.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:10 pm

rasetsu wrote:William Holman Hunt (The Scapegoat)

The painting does not show. Artmight disabled hotlinking, so I googled and found out via the ever reliable Wikipedia that Hunt painted The Scapegoat twice.

Despite the rainbow I prefer the second painting. Both of them, the first moreso than the second, are a bit too close to photorealism for me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:17 pm

Wikipedia wrote: Ford Madox Brown wrote in his diary: "Hunt's Scapegoat requires to be seen to be believed in. Only then can it be understood how, by the might of genius, out of an old goat, and some saline encrustations, can be made one of the most tragic and impressive works in the annals of art.". Ernest Gambart, as related by Hunt, was less enthusiastic, and was later to remark: "I wanted a nice religious picture and he painted me a great goat."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scapegoat_(painting)