The brilliance of Calvin and Hobbs

Sma11wood

Re: The brilliance of Calvin and Hobbs

Post by Sma11wood » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:38 pm

Rumertron wrote:
Sma11wood wrote:♥ Calvin and Hobbes. I own I think about 8 or 9 of the books :) The first strip there I don't think is an original, looks like a fan remake.
Which one are you referring to? Not the above one surely. Only Waterson can draw that subtly and amazingly. I had all the books at one point too - a couple have gone astray in recent house moves though.
No, I meant the strip that started the thread. I also just realised that I reported your post rather than replying to it. I clicked on the 'R' thinking 'Reply' :doh: Sorry bout that :(

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Sma11wood wrote:
Rumertron wrote:
Sma11wood wrote:♥ Calvin and Hobbes. I own I think about 8 or 9 of the books :) The first strip there I don't think is an original, looks like a fan remake.
Which one are you referring to? Not the above one surely. Only Waterson can draw that subtly and amazingly. I had all the books at one point too - a couple have gone astray in recent house moves though.
No, I meant the strip that started the thread. I also just realised that I reported your post rather than replying to it. I clicked on the 'R' thinking 'Reply' :doh: Sorry bout that :(

Hmm.. I suspect it is an early one. The drawing looks less well developed.

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

Post by Don't Panic » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:13 pm

Sma11wood wrote:
Rumertron wrote:
Don't worry about the report, it's been taken care of.
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:31 pm

DP wrote:
Sma11wood wrote:
Rumertron wrote:
Don't worry about the report, it's been taken care of.
I wasn't but thanks anyway. :biggrin:

Sma11wood

Post by Sma11wood » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:47 pm

Rumertron wrote: Hmm.. I suspect it is an early one. The drawing looks less well developed.
I think its been doctored after the fact. If you look at the panels some of the drawings are duplicated. To my knowledge Watterson was never that lazy. Also, the theme of the strip isn't something I've encountered before in a C&H strip before. Its too dark, touches on drugs, and almost breaks the fourth wall at the end there by making Hobbes 'transform', something he stated that he never actively tried to explain or do. However, the dead giveaway is the computer font text. All the original speech bubbles are hand drawn. :biggrin: