Opera!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Opera!

Post by Rum » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:06 am

Tried and tried to love it, or at least enjoy it, but apart from a few arias and the like I cant.

Any tips or is it just shit?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Opera!

Post by JimC » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:16 am

Never got into it.

But then, I am an uncultured antipodean...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

piscator

Post by piscator » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:03 am

The voice is an instrument that is played. For fun, think of the voice as another instrument, like a violin or cello, or piano or electric guitar with hella sustain and tremolo (and vice versa).
Learn a chromatic scale with your own voice. When you can do that, you won't need this thread.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:36 am

Somewhere on this thread, the fat lady will sing...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:59 am

I think opera can be ok, but most of it needs more electric guitar. And Freddie Mercury.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:22 pm

JimC wrote:Somewhere on this thread, the fat lady will sing...
The thread won't be over 'til she does!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:31 pm

If you see a good company perform live it's magic.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Like all theatrey stuff, can't think of much worse to do of an evening.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:36 pm

laklak wrote:If you see a good company perform live it's magic.
Does not work for me. I have listened to Joan Sutherland and Kiri Te Kanawa at the Sydney Opera House. Though I cannot recall in whose company they performed, I trust that neither would appear with any other than top notch professionals at that stage (oops) of their respective careers. The works themselves left me somewhere between bored to irritated, and that is coming from someone whose listening habits range between Hildegard von Bingen and Shostakovich 90% of the time.

For sure, excerpts can be enjoyable, engaging and moving, among them Puccini's Flower Duet, but you won't find me listening to the entirety of Madama Butterfly again, not even live, and I will not ever voluntarily go to listen to an opera by Verdi or Rossini. There might be just enough money in the world to bribe me into listening to The Marriage of Figaro, though, especially if la Stupenda could be revived.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:58 pm

I like Philip Glass's Einstein on the Beach. It's "technically" an opera - but with weird random speaking instead of all that squawking.

I quite like some of Stravinsky's operatic moments too. Oedipus Rex is pretty good.

And Wagner wold be good if you cut out about 80% of each opera and just left the good bits. Actually, that's true of most opera IMO.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:48 pm

Rum wrote:Tried and tried to love it, or at least enjoy it, but apart from a few arias and the like I cant.

Any tips or is it just shit?
Sorry, Rum, in my previous posts I forgot that you were asking a question. No, I don't have any tips beyond appreciating the sheer virtuosity of technique and the beauty of voice. And opera is not "just shit". Some people just have a taste for it rather than, say, baroque cantatas or Schubert Lieder, just like others prefer Zappa to led Zeppelin. Also, I suspect a lot of people go to the opera because that is the right place to be seen if one wants to be accepted as the elite of the establishment. The number of people who can't suppress yawning or even nod off during the performance is a bit of a giveaway.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:25 pm

piscator wrote:The voice is an instrument that is played.
I think that is where opera (and most classical vocal music) leaves me cold. The voice is far more than merely another instrument. It is a communication device that conveys emotion and character, along with merely words and notes. In my onion (and feel free to disagree), classically trained singers have that emotion and character trained out of them. They are taught to reproduce the notes, vibrato, volume, etc. in the score to such a degree of perfection that there is no room for individuality.

I am sure that it is due to my lack of interest, but I find it pretty much impossible to recognise the voice of any individual soprano. While I could spot Sandy Denny, Kate Bush, Björk or Siouxsie's voice from a couple of notes, I would be hard pressed to tell Kiri Te Kanawa from Nellie Melba from Maria Callas.

Pretty much the only classical vocals I enjoy are choral.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

piscator

Post by piscator » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:38 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
piscator wrote:The voice is an instrument that is played.
I think that is where opera (and most classical vocal music) leaves me cold. The voice is far more than merely another instrument. It is a communication device that conveys emotion and character, along with merely words and notes. In my onion (and feel free to disagree), classically trained singers have that emotion and character trained out of them. They are taught to reproduce the notes, vibrato, volume, etc. in the score to such a degree of perfection that there is no room for individuality.

I am sure that it is due to my lack of interest, but I find it pretty much impossible to recognise the voice of any individual soprano. While I could spot Sandy Denny, Kate Bush, Björk or Siouxsie's voice from a couple of notes, I would be hard pressed to tell Kiri Te Kanawa from Nellie Melba from Maria Callas.

Pretty much the only classical vocals I enjoy are choral.

You have to reach out to opera nowadays. You don't hear it much in the street or cafes anymore, but it's really something when a good soloist cuts loose.

Listen to something you like and know, say the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th or the "L'amour" from Carmen, covered by different singers and conductors [and loud...Maria Callas could literally shatter glass]. There's a huge difference.

Also, a lot of historic opera was self-consciously written to be "Lofty" or address grand themes, or to put a sound to an emotion or other subjective like, "Tragedy". And there's the matter of being able to sing above a full orchestra, forte, which sort of constrained composers to what a superhuman can do in that situation without busting too many veins. Newer stuff doesn't have quite those restraints, and has benefit of a lot more musical history, like, say, Dave Brubeck...

[Damn the low res]
Last edited by piscator on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:01 am

piscator wrote:You have to reach out to opera nowadays. You don't hear it much in the street or cafes anymore, but it's really something when a good soloist cuts loose.
Oddly, while I am a huge fan of female vocals in the rock genre, I find more character and feeling in male, operatic voices. It tends to be the women that put me off opera!
Listen to something you like and know, say the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th or the Habanera from Carmen, covered by different singers and conductors. There's a huge difference.
There is a difference. However, I would dispute anyone that claimed it was anything like as different as between Joni and Janis, or Björk and PJ Harvey.
Also, a lot of classic opera was self-consciously written to be "Lofty" or address grand themes, or to put a sound to an emotion or other subjective like, "Tragedy".
But that sound is put there by the composer, not the individual soloist. Show me an opera where there is as much variation in performance as between the Billie Holliday and Tori Amos' versions of Strange Fruit?
And there's the matter of being able to sing above a full orchestra, forte, which sort of constrained composers to what a superhuman can do in that situation without busting too many veins. Newer stuff doesn't have quite those restraints...
This is a very valid point. Before the advent of microphones and amplification, it was necessary to sing in a certain way in order to maintain volume and not damage the chords. However, that does not completely explain the uniformity of operatic voices - tradition plays a huge part in that.

Oh, and referencing Lloyd-Webber is the music debate version of Godwin's Law! :hehe:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

piscator

Post by piscator » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:20 am

Summer 1980 I played in a road production of JCSS several nights/week + matinees for 3 months. Mic'd drums, horns, black mass choir, light show... Spanish acoustic/Gibson Jesus was Michael B., who taught jazz at Jackson State, I was Fender Judas, and played a Hummingbird for the steel string parts, and my HS team keeper Chester O., who is still the most electrifying blues guitar player I've ever heard, played his J-bass and got ready to start studying guitar at Berklee, where he was accepted. I was 18, on the road with 2 black jazz cats who could play circles around me, and to top it off I still called myself Catholic. Life was fkn good, and AL-W had a big part in that... :mrgreen: