Hilary Mantel attacks critics of Thatcher radio broadcast

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:36 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30477157

Hilary Mantel has responded to critics of the BBC's decision to broadcast her short story The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher on BBC Radio 4.

The story, imagining the assassination of the former prime minister, is due to feature on Book at Bedtime in January.

Lord Tebbit criticised the decision, calling it a "sick book from a sick mind" and accused the BBC of being deliberately provocative.

But Mantel dismissed the comments as "froth and bile".

Lord Tebbit, who served in Baroness Thatcher's cabinet in the 1980s, described the BBC as a "sick broadcasting corporation" and called on director general Tony Hall to stop the broadcast.

"The serialisation should never have gone ahead and, if Tony Hall was worth his gigantic salary, he would stop it," he said.

Lord Bell, Baroness Thatcher's former PR guru, also criticised the decision, saying the BBC was "inevitably going to be accused of political bias".

"If it really was independent it would avoid doing things that were provocative," he said.

Mantel responded: "I recognise that this latest nonsense from the Mail [on Sunday] is not about me or my work; it's a skirmish in a war with the BBC," the double Booker Prize winner told The Guardian.

"A couple of days back I spoke in praise and support of the TV adaptation of Wolf Hall, which the BBC will show next year. Possibly this has triggered the bout of froth and bile."

Set four years after Baroness Thatcher took office in 1979, Mantel's story imagines the killing of the prime minister by an IRA sniper.

It proved controversial when it was published in a collection of 10 short stories in September.

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Hilary Mantel attacks critics of Thatcher radio broadcas

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Lol. Anything that gets Tebo out of his wingback has got to be worth a look-see.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Hilary Mantel attacks critics of Thatcher radio broadcas

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Ban hate speech, Scumple.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.