Comics!

SnowLeopard

Comics!

Post by SnowLeopard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Anyone read comics? I was thinking of starting. Bought a couple today.
In the begining there was nothing. Which then exploded.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Re: Comics!

Post by Robert_S » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Rarely.

The last paper comics I bought was Jhonen Vasquez' I Feel Sick.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:48 pm

SnowLeopard wrote:Anyone read comics? I was thinking of starting. Bought a couple today.
For decades. I'd recommend not bothering, except perhaps for 2000A.D. since Judge Dredd was always a hoot other than that though the superhero medium is increasingly stale and attempts to make it "right on" have left their main audience (35 y/o and above aspie white males) gurning for movie adaptations they can nit-pick.

Some of the writing is still fun, but in the end not worth it. If you have a vehicle and the inclination come down to Glasgow and I'll give you a shitload for free. I have thousands I want rid of but no-one else, not even hospitals want them.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 pm

I was a big Marvel fan in my youth. Sold 'em all ages ago...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Ditto JimC! I had Issue #1 copies of SpiderMan, The Fantastic Four, Thor, The Avengers and a couple of others, all amongst my collection of several hundred comics. I dumped them never thinking they would be worth a fortune now! :cry:

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Still love comics but haven't read them in years. The comics industry, or at least the independent/indie/alternative/whatever portion of it, collapsed twenty years or so ago. All my favorite creators stopped coming out with stuff, so I gave comics up about the same time I got into video games. No idea what's being published these days :dunno:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 pm

I used to read 2000 AD and Judge Dredd many moons ago, and occasionally Heavy Metal, but not a lot since then.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:36 pm

I did like the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers...
And my gin!

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 am

I vaguely remember when I was quite young having had a copy each of The Beano and The Dandy. I think my Nan bought them for me. I remember Dennis the Menace - but he was on TV anyway. I also remember Desperate Dan the wild west man who ate pies with entire cows in them with the horns sticking out the top.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 am

SnowLeopard wrote:Anyone read comics? I was thinking of starting. Bought a couple today.
I would recommend Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics - available as 10 compiled books - to anyone. But comics are like any format: Most of it is either crap or not to your taste. And, also like any format, there are some examples that are simply breathtaking and could not have been presented better any other way.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:34 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
I would recommend Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics - available as 10 compiled books - to anyone. But comics are like any format: Most of it is either crap or not to your taste. And, also like any format, there are some examples that are simply breathtaking and could not have been presented better any other way.
Yeah that's a good call. (Except a Game of You which was dreadful).

Recommendations? From Hell by Alan Moore. Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli and the first half of Cerebus the Aardvark by Dave Sim. (The second half is great if you want to see a man's mind crumble into a religious text filled with hatred of left wing politics and women, but the story goes out the window). I can't think of anything else that isn't for teenagers. Especially a lot of the "Mature readers" crap, which seems like an excuse for poor writers to out-offend each other or preach their ill-informed politics or philisophical stances.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 am

I don't really understand comics for adults..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:37 am

rEvolutionist wrote:I don't really understand comics for adults..
:console:

When you are a little older, perhaps...

:hehe:
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:41 am

I'm 40 now! I can haz old?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:46 am

Audley Strange wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Yeah that's a good call. (Except a Game of You which was dreadful).

Recommendations? From Hell by Alan Moore. Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli and the first half of Cerebus the Aardvark by Dave Sim. (The second half is great if you want to see a man's mind crumble into a religious text filled with hatred of left wing politics and women, but the story goes out the window). I can't think of anything else that isn't for teenagers. Especially a lot of the "Mature readers" crap, which seems like an excuse for poor writers to out-offend each other or preach their ill-informed politics or philisophical stances.
Definitely agree. I also recommend any of Jim Woodring's Frank books.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.