Mein Kempf

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Mein Kempf

Post by cronus » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Anyone read it? own a copy? read it more than once or half way? Pick and dip?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Jason
Destroyer of words

Re: Mein Kempf

Post by Jason » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:31 pm

I've got it on audiobook, but I've never listened to it or read it. I've listened to parts and found it kind of dull and plodding. :dunno:

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:54 pm

Făkünamę wrote:I've got it on audiobook, but I've never listened to it or read it. I've listened to parts and found it kind of dull and plodding. :dunno:
Knew his audience...

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 am

Tried to read it once. Didn't get beyond halfway. Boring and repetetive.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:09 am

Disappointing right? I expected better from such a renouned orator. :|~

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:12 am

He probably could have made a public reading interesting, but writing was not his medium.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:15 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Tried to read it once. Didn't get beyond halfway. Boring and repetetive.
You got halfway? I think you may be harbouring facist tendencies to stick it out that long. :mob:

A friend of mine owns a copy, but that's strictly for research purposes. But since his ancestors came from Croatia, maybe he has facist tendencies as well :what:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Shaker
About me: I came on Eileen.

Post by Shaker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:02 am

A book of quite immense historical importance, value and significance.

As a book, at least in the translation I own as a not-very-good German speaker, one of the most horrendously and horrifically badly-written written books I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. This is a book which gives the word 'turgid' an unfortunate reputation.

As far as I can tell Hitler was an utterly and absolutely magical, hypnotic, captivating public speaker the like of which the world has rarely seen, who in person could have thousands in the palm of his hand.

As far as a writer goes, a mentally handicapped dung beetle could do better.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:39 am

Hi, Shaker. :hiwave: Long time no see. Welcome back.

I have read bits of Mein Kampf in English and in German. There is definitely something lost in translation, but even the German version is no more than a seemingly interminable, rambling rant. It could be shortened to a fraction of its size without any loss of content. In fact, Hitler himself did that in a speech some time in the early 1940s.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:43 am

Oh, and Scumple, you misspelled "Kampf". :gram:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Re: Mein Kampf

Post by Calilasseia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:28 am

Read it both in English, and, many years ago, in the original German. On both occasions it was a funereally boring read. In addition to being a crash course in everything that should be avoided in the world of German grammar. The most heinously abused construct being the terminating verb clause.

Certain German words, such as weil, wenn and bis ("because", "if/when" and "until", respectively, the second of these two depending upon context, and usually differentiated by a move to subjunctive instead of indicative verbs), mark the beginning of the infamous terminating verb clause, so called because the verbs in such a clause are all shunted to the end of the clause. This includes participles and auxiliary verbs, so that the end of the clause can, in the worst case scenario, consist of a veritable linguistic car crash of verb-associated words. Even a single terminating verb clause can end up with as many as four of these, depending upon the particular combination of mood and tense used.

What really makes the terminating verb clause ripe for abuse, though, is that such clauses can be nested. This is where the real horror lies. Needless to say, literary figures avoid this sort of offence against both linguistic and aesthetic sensibilities with a passion, because it's all too easy for attempts at sophisticated thinking, if not controlled rigorously, to generate nested terminating verb clauses spanning entire pages of a book. Indeed, one of the standing jokes in certain parts of German academia, centres upon a caricature lecturer, who launches into his lecture, opens one terminating verb clause after another, nesting them twelve deep, and ending the lecture after 45 minutes of this with a huge stream of verbs, resulting in the students spending the next week desperately comparing notes, to try and determine just what the lecturer was supposed to be saying. Since humans aren't naturally stack oriented machines, you can imagine the hilarity that can ensue in such a scenario, and the manner in which this device can be deployed by the duplicitous, to befuddle an audience or conceal real intent, hiding said intent in plain sight whilst relying upon the limited stack processing capacity of most listeners.

Whether Hitler simply possessed both a lousy command of German grammar, and foggy thinking (the latter most certainly aided in expression by the former in the case of the terminating verb clause), or whether he was a singular genius, hiding some of his most obscenely controversial ideas in plain sight by deployment of this device, is a question that will doubtless keep translators and academics busy long into the night. However, in the original German, one of the reasons that Mein Kampf is regarded as a poisoned chalice by translators, is that Hitler abused the terminating verb clause (among other constructs) with an almost inhuman vengeance. Some of the most egregious examples spread across three pages, before coming to an end in a train crash of verbs. Successful negotiation of this literary minefield, for the purpose of translating it into other languages, is regarded as possibly the most severe test any translator of German literature will have to face, even surpassing the funereally boring exercise in pedantry as a masturbation activity that is Das Kapital.

The one redeeming feature I can find in this work, is that despite the author's pathological obsession with Jews and the extirpation thereof, and his frankly creepy preoccupation with inter-racial sex, it still manages to be less psychotic than the Koran.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:38 am

:lol:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:44 am

Shaker wrote:A book of quite immense historical importance, value and significance.

As a book, at least in the translation I own as a not-very-good German speaker, one of the most horrendously and horrifically badly-written written books I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. This is a book which gives the word 'turgid' an unfortunate reputation.

As far as I can tell Hitler was an utterly and absolutely magical, hypnotic, captivating public speaker the like of which the world has rarely seen, who in person could have thousands in the palm of his hand.

Shaker's Law rocks!

:woot:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:33 am

Shaker wrote:A book of quite immense historical importance, value and significance.

Yeah, but he still comes in second to Karl Marx and Josef Engels.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:36 am

Hermit wrote:Oh, and Scumple, you misspelled "Kampf". :gram:
Wasn't on purpose....a book I rarely think about in a language I don't comprehend. Got most of it right. :prof: