Dressed to grill: From The Undertones to Lady Gaga

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:48 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24942186

When Lady Gaga wore an infamous dress made of raw beef to the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards ceremony it hit international headlines as the world gasped at her daring outfit. But a similar fashion statement had already made music history 30 years before.

Cath Johnson was 23 and nearing the end of a four-year graphic design course at Middlesex Polytechnic when she agreed to pose in a hastily-assembled photoshoot wearing a dress made out of bacon wrapped in cling film to help a friend complete his degree.

Thirty years ago this month, Ms Johnson's image appeared on an album cover by post-punk band The Undertones - leading to a minor feminist backlash amid strongly-disputed claims that the picture associated women with "being meat".

When the shot was duplicated on billboards across central London, it was denounced as "sexist crap" by sections of the women's movement active during the early-1980s, Ms Johnson recalled.

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Dressed to grill: From The Undertones to Lady Gaga

Post by JimC » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:36 am

"I wanted to do wild things; I was up for anything. People can interpret it as they wish."
:tup:

:sigh:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!