The Great Gatsby

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

The Great Gatsby

Post by Rum » Sat May 18, 2013 8:56 pm

I thought I would go see the new film. It has had mixed reviews though and I realised I had never read the book.

I remedied that and have just completed it. Its is a great novel - no doubt about that.

Then I read up a bit about F. Scot F himself.

What a tragic life he seems to have had.

Anyway - is TGG 'the' American novel? I suspect it is. Seems to me to be all about the carved out empty shell hollowness of the American Dream. But the mood and language are special too.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: The Great Gatsby

Post by klr » Sat May 18, 2013 9:00 pm

There was a documentary on BBC2 just now about him, but I only caught the last 10 minutes. :doh:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat May 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Some people claim it's the Great American Novel, but others say it's Moby Dick, or The Grapes of Wrath, or even Portnoy's Complaint. Personally, I think The Cat In The Hat Comes Back is a strong contender, but fuck off with that Horton Hatches a Who crap.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat May 18, 2013 9:06 pm

klr wrote:There was a documentary on BBC2 just now about him, but I only caught the last 10 minutes. :doh:
Saw that and I have it recorded! :tup:

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat May 18, 2013 9:30 pm

I wonder how much so called "great literature" would have survived if not for Classics Illustrated made sense of the cluster fuck of a book.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat May 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Tyrannical wrote:I wonder how much so called "great literature" would have survived if not for Classics Illustrated made sense of the cluster fuck of a book.
Well perhaps that was your personal gateway?

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat May 18, 2013 9:41 pm

Rum wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:I wonder how much so called "great literature" would have survived if not for Classics Illustrated made sense of the cluster fuck of a book.

I once wrote a high school book report based on this. Though college expected "cliff notes" which couldn't be bothered with pictures.
Bedsides, if the book was that great they'd have made it into a movie anyways.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat May 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Of course they would.

Trinity
About me: I'm growing a new me!!

Post by Trinity » Sat May 18, 2013 10:26 pm

I always loved Catcher in the Rye; struck a chord with me, although probably because I was adolescent when I read it. I also loved Cannery Row and To Kill a Mockingbird. I guess I love the style of writing from these eras, evocative and well, just different, being another country and one I knew little about experientially until a few years ago.
Here's to Now.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat May 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Trinity wrote:I always loved Catcher in the Rye; struck a chord with me, although probably because I was adolescent when I read it. I also loved Cannery Row and To Kill a Mockingbird. I guess I love the style of writing from these eras, evocative and well, just different, being another country and one I knew little about experientially until a few years ago.
"To Kill a Mockingbird" is a false and dangerous fictional parable that has caused many a White woman to be raped or murdered.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat May 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Tyrannical wrote:
Trinity wrote:I always loved Catcher in the Rye; struck a chord with me, although probably because I was adolescent when I read it. I also loved Cannery Row and To Kill a Mockingbird. I guess I love the style of writing from these eras, evocative and well, just different, being another country and one I knew little about experientially until a few years ago.
"To Kill a Mockingbird" is a false and dangerous fictional parable that has caused many a White woman to be raped or murdered.
Time for your meds, Tyr... :nono:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat May 18, 2013 11:42 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sun May 19, 2013 12:32 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
Time for your meds, Tyr... :nono:
Actually it is time for my meds. How did you know?

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sun May 19, 2013 1:51 am

Tyrannical wrote:
Rum wrote:

I once wrote a high school book report based on this. Though college expected "cliff notes" which couldn't be bothered with pictures.
Bedsides, if the book was that great they'd have made it into a movie anyways.
My grandad knew an unknown someone who worked for CI, and I grew up with hundreds of these. It really was my introduction to literature; and even if there were some I never read, it at least gave me familiarity with authors and titles. I have wonderful memories of reading them - he had literally thousands of them. I was lucky enough to inherit them when he dies, when we also found about half a dozen of the original cover paintings, which are among my most prized possessions. I think CI did a massively good and admirable thing in introducing kids to world literature.
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sun May 19, 2013 2:51 am

Cary Mulligan...mmmmm, tasty. 'Nuff said. :naughty:
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.