Leo Tolstoy

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Leo Tolstoy

Post by redunderthebed » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:51 pm

I'am getting into him i thought i would start off with a short story of his.

I'm reading the kreutzer sonata which is essentially a strange guy ranting mysognistic although well spoken horseshite about women and getting to the point about how he killed his wife. I should not be enjoying this book but how it is written and my desire to find out how he shanked his missus um yeah every fibre of my being is telling me i shouldn't be enjoying this but i can't put the bastard thing down.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Leo Tolstoy

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:03 pm

I really want to read some Tolstoy too. I've got a copy of war and peace, but it looks so imposing I never manage to dare open it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:21 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:I really want to read some Tolstoy too. I've got a copy of war and peace, but it looks so imposing I never manage to dare open it.
I've borrowed it from the library i think to be honest i might just buy it i didn't realise how farken big it was. :ddpan:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:27 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:I really want to read some Tolstoy too. I've got a copy of war and peace, but it looks so imposing I never manage to dare open it.
I did manage to open it, took one look, and then ran for the hills.

Which is odd, seeing as I've read Anna Karenina, more than once. :dunno:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:12 pm

klr wrote:
I did manage to open it, took one look, and then ran for the hills.

Which is odd, seeing as I've read Anna Karenina, more than once. :dunno:
I intend to read both. :prof: one of his later works the kingdom of god is within you fascinates me too.

Twoflower
Queen of Slugs
About me: Twoflower is the optimistic-but-naive tourist. He often runs into danger, being certain that nothing bad will happen to him since he is not involved. He also believes in the fundamental goodness of human nature and that all problems can be resolved, if all parties show good will and cooperate.

Post by Twoflower » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm reading War and Peace right now...so far so good.
I read Anna Karenina last year a d it got long after a while.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 am

Finished the kreutzer sonata a throughly messed up book from start to finish but i enjoyed it alot.

Waiting for about 4 or 5 of his books that i'm getting off the net. :ab:

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:09 pm

I just couldn't get into Tolstoy. Dostoevsky is my favourite so people kept saying I should read Tolstoy, but besides them being Russian I don't see the comparison. Dostoevsky's words are like a lush banquet and I found Tolstoy like chewing rocks :ask:
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm

rachelbean wrote:I just couldn't get into Tolstoy. Dostoevsky is my favourite so people kept saying I should read Tolstoy, but besides them being Russian I don't see the comparison. Dostoevsky's words are like a lush banquet and I found Tolstoy like chewing rocks :ask:
It might depend (in part) on which translation you're reading, and indeed which "base" Russian version was used. Wiki has a list of Anna Karenina translations, and some commentary on them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Karen ... to_English

I have the Rosemary Edmonds version. I was aware even when I read it first (c. 1985/1986) that some things were obviously being lost or mangled in translation. If you believe the comments referenced in wiki (see above), there is no one "clear winner" amongst the available translations.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Good point, that's certainly the case with Dostoyevsky. Though the first translation of "Crime and Punishment" that I read was a "bad" one and it was still excellent. But, I did find "Brothers Karamazov" MUCH better with a certain translation. So, maybe I should give Tolstoy another shot one of these days.
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:46 pm

I read book 1 of War and Peace and thought it was one of the best character studies I've ever read. Maybe the best. I may have read some of book 2 also. I intend to finish it someday :shifty:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:27 pm

I really mean to read Tale of Two Cities some day.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:00 am

Anna Karenina and war and peace and a collection of his short stories arrived in the mail. :ab: