50 Book Challenge 2013 AKA Anna Will Kick Your Arse Again!

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Re: 50 Book Challenge 2013 AKA Anna Will Kick Your Arse Agai

Post by SteveB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 pm

1) Percy Gets Probed vol 1
2) Percy Gets Probed vol 1 (I read it twice, so I'm counting it twice!)
3) Percy Gets Probed vol 2
4) Percy Gets Probed vol 2
5) Doolie Gogh
6) Copyediting and Proofreading for Dummies

I usually read about a book every month if that, so I'm doing 3x my usual speed. Of course it's nothing compared to you readoholics.

edit- Embarrassing edit
Last edited by SteveB on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Percy gets probed and probed and probed...

Holy shit that'd make a good song. I gotta think of more lyrics :ask:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

SteveB
Nibbler

Post by SteveB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Holy shit I'm embarrassed. It's "gets" probed, not "got".

I'm shit a proofreader. :lol:
Twit, twat, twaddle.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 pm

tattuchu wrote:Percy gets probed and probed and probed...

Holy shit that'd make a good song. I gotta think of more lyrics :ask:
Whilst getting unrobed, unrobed, unrobed.

I don't think this will trouble the "hit parade"
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Callan
Invincible

Post by Callan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:05 pm

1. Kitchen Diaries 2 - Nigel Slater. (Annoying little turd.)
2. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Viera Rigler. (Interesting premise but it was stretched out too long.)
3. The White Queen - Philippa Gregory. (Historical fiction about Elizabeth Woodville - undemanding.)
4. The Murders in the Rue Morgue and other stories - E. A. Poe. (Dupin is the forerunner of Holmes - but less exciting.)
5. Master and God - Lindsey Davis (Superior historical fiction set in the reign of Domitian)
6. Lemon Meringue Pie Murder - Joanne Fluke (Might have been more thrilling had the eponymous pie been the murder weapon)
7. Bess of Hardwick - Mary S. Lovell. (Lively and scholarly biography.)
8. The Mating Season - P.G. Wodehouse. (Jeeves and Wooster in full effect.)
9. The Anglo-Saxons - ed. James Campbell (dry, dry, dry :()
10. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - trans. Simon Armitage (should have read it 25 years ago, better late than never)
11. The Hare with Amber Eyes - Edmund de Waal (Potter chases netsuke - delightful)
12. Manon Lescault - Abbé Prévost (What a silly pair! Unpleasant, too)
13. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (Surprisingly readable)
14. The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics - Jessica Porter (A lot of very useful nutrition advice behind the hippy woo)
15. A Street Cat Named Bob - James Bowen (Cat redeems addict)
16. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles - trans. Anne Savage (Still bloody tedious - maybe I'm just not interested in Anglo-Saxon history?)
17. Whispers Underground - Ben Aaronovitch (Supernatural murders beneath modern London. Spiffing!)
18. Beowulf - trans. Seamus Heaney (Fantastic translation.)
19. Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel (The rise of Thomas Cromwell. So wonderful you don't even notice how long it is.)
20. Treasures of Tutankhamun - Howard Carter (Abridged - NOT the 3-volume excavation report!)
21. Food and Healing - Annemarie Colbin (Food as medicine, medicine as food - illuminating)
22. A Feast of True Fandangles - Patrick Campbell (Still funny after all these years...)
23. Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynne Truss (The grammar Nazi's bible - delicious.)
24. Nightmare Abbey - Thomas Love Peacock (Satire on Gothic novels and sensibility)
25. 666 Charing Cross Road - Paul Magrs (Jolly vampire romp - clever and funny)
26. The Secret History - Procopius (Acerbic observations live and direct from imperial Byzantium)
27. Very Good, Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse (Delightful stuff)
28. The Girl who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson (Page-turningly gripping -up until 3am with it!)
29. Talk to the Hand - Lynne Truss (The sheer bloody rudeness of daily life. Funny 'cos it's true!)
30. The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson (Disappointingly slow compared to the other two - livened up after about 600 pages!)
31. The Elizabethan World Picture - E.M.W. Tillyard (Just as good as I remember it, from some 30 years ago... :zilla: )
32. The Conspiracy of Catiline - Sallust (I wrote an internet essay on this shit. I wonder where it is?)
33. The Court of Oliver Cromwell - Roy Sherwood (Interesting factually, but appallingly poorly written.)
34. First Blast of the Trumpet against the Monstrous Regiment of Women - John Knox (Fuckwit.)
35. The Vampyre - a tale - John Polidori. (Meh. Must re-read biography of Byron - much better.)
36. The True Darcy Spirit - Elizabeth Aston. (Anachronistic twaddle. Faintly amusing.)
37. Depression - Dorothy L. Rowe (Wise and moving)
38. Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders - Gyles Brandreth. (Great fun - a pleasant surprise!)
39. Journal of the Plague Year - Daniel Defoe. (A cheery little romp... :( )
40. Chaucer and the House of Fame - Phillippa Morgan (Yes, THAT Chaucer. Solving murders. Oy vey.)
41. French Women Don't Get Fat - Mireille Guiliano (They bloody well do if they guzzle KFC! :lay:)
42. Shakespeare's Counselor - Charlaine Harris (Pedestrian murder mystery)
43. Equal Rites - Terry Pratchett (Ahhhhh, that's better. Always a delight.)
44. Charlemagne's Tablecloth - Nichola Fletcher (A piquant history of feasting. Warmly recommended to anyone interested in food!)
45. The Roman Empire - John Wacher (Oh, alas - this was dull in the extreme.)
46. 1066 and All That - W.C. Sellar and R.J. Yeatman (Re-read - all XC's fault for mentioning surfeits of lampreys!)
47. Death Comes to Pemberley - P.D. James. (Neither good Regency pastiche nor good murder mystery. Null points, madame.)
48. Spanking the Maid - Robert Coover (Bah - not what it said on the tin. What Nanny Ogg would call "One o' they mettyfors.")
49. Empress Orchid - Anchee Min (The Last Emperor's mother ascends to power... horrifying.)
50. Number Ten - Sue Townsend (Rather laboured social satire. Readable but not exciting.)
51. Aesop's Fables - trans. George Fyler Townsend (Sententious. No wonder the Victorians loved it.)
52. Briar Rose - Robert Coover (Sleeping Beauty gone terribly, terribly wrong.)
53. The Woman in Black - Susan Hill (Pant-soilingly gripping.)

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:12 am

Guinivere: Legend in Autumn Persia Woolley good trilogy well researched and lively
2. Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey - well done bit of Australian literature - a classic there
3. The Getting of Wisdom -Henry Handel Richardson -oh damn that was a chore....sigh - me and learning about Australia.
4. Nexus - Ramaz Naam waste of time tho some interesting bits
5 Quicker - Laurence Dahners more of a waste of time
6 The Human Divison 1 - The B Team Scalzi - return of the serial novel = Heinlein incarnate
7. Identity (Eyes Wide Open, Book 1) Dekker - can't resist a freebie fast read with decent reviews tho not my fav genre. - okay you get what you pay for,
8. The Secret River - brilliant - engaging bout time I got into a decent novel.
9. Toward Yesterday Paul Jones....I have not a CLUE where this is going...nowhere - yuck waste of time.
10. The Galactic Mage - Book One
11, The Galactic Mage Book Two - Rift
12. Darwin's Bastards - wild dystopian short stories
13. The Broken Shore - grim Aussie crime novel
14 Buried in the Sky - brilliant - grabs you immediately - fucking incredible - rivals Into Thin Air
15 A Primate's Memoir - funny heart wrenching.. - recommended if you are a geek
16 Breaking Seas - interesting personal journey - I can relate somewhat
17 Storm Passage: Alone around Cape Horn - remarkable - literary - an understated feat of endurance.
18 Across Islands and Oceans - James Baldwin - very enjoyable - we're on a theme here...I'll start with the original now.
in progress
19 Sailing Alone Around the World - Joshua Slocum
20 They Said I should write a Book - fluff ..but entertaining fluff.
21 kidnapped Robert Louis Stevenson.....surprisingly entertaining despite the time frame...
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Callan
Invincible

Post by Callan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:40 pm

2. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict - Laurie Viera Rigler. (Interesting premise but it was stretched out too long.)
3. The White Queen - Philippa Gregory. (Historical fiction about Elizabeth Woodville - undemanding.)
4. The Murders in the Rue Morgue and other stories - E. A. Poe. (Dupin is the forerunner of Holmes - but less exciting.)
5. Master and God - Lindsey Davis (Superior historical fiction set in the reign of Domitian)
6. Lemon Meringue Pie Murder - Joanne Fluke (Might have been more thrilling had the eponymous pie been the murder weapon)
10. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - trans. Simon Armitage (should have read it 25 years ago, better late than never)
11. The Hare with Amber Eyes - Edmund de Waal (Potter chases netsuke - delightful)
14. The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics - Jessica Porter (A lot of very useful nutrition advice behind the hippy woo)
16. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles - trans. Anne Savage (Still bloody tedious - maybe I'm just not interested in Anglo-Saxon history?)
17. Whispers Underground - Ben Aaronovitch (Supernatural murders beneath modern London. Spiffing!)
19. Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel (The rise of Thomas Cromwell. So wonderful you don't even notice how long it is.)
20. Treasures of Tutankhamun - Howard Carter (Abridged - NOT the 3-volume excavation report!)
21. Food and Healing - Annemarie Colbin (Food as medicine, medicine as food - illuminating)
22. A Feast of True Fandangles - Patrick Campbell (Still funny after all these years...)
23. Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynne Truss (The grammar Nazi's bible - delicious.)
24. Nightmare Abbey - Thomas Love Peacock (Satire on Gothic novels and sensibility)
26. The Secret History - Procopius (Acerbic observations live and direct from imperial Byzantium)
28. The Girl who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson (Page-turningly gripping -up until 3am with it!)
29. Talk to the Hand - Lynne Truss (The sheer bloody rudeness of daily life. Funny 'cos it's true!)
30. The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson (Disappointingly slow compared to the other two - livened up after about 600 pages!)
31. The Elizabethan World Picture - E.M.W. Tillyard (Just as good as I remember it, from some 30 years ago... :zilla: )
32. The Conspiracy of Catiline - Sallust (I wrote an internet essay on this shit. I wonder where it is?)
33. The Court of Oliver Cromwell - Roy Sherwood (Interesting factually, but appallingly poorly written.)
34. First Blast of the Trumpet against the Monstrous Regiment of Women - John Knox (Fuckwit.)
35. The Vampyre - a tale - John Polidori. (Meh. Must re-read biography of Byron - much better.)
36. The True Darcy Spirit - Elizabeth Aston. (Anachronistic twaddle. Faintly amusing.)
38. Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders - Gyles Brandreth. (Great fun - a pleasant surprise!)
40. Chaucer and the House of Fame - Phillippa Morgan (Yes, THAT Chaucer. Solving murders. Oy vey.)
41. French Women Don't Get Fat - Mireille Guiliano (They bloody well do if they guzzle KFC! :lay:)
44. Charlemagne's Tablecloth - Nichola Fletcher (A piquant history of feasting. Warmly recommended to anyone interested in food!)
46. 1066 and All That - W.C. Sellar and R.J. Yeatman (Re-read - all XC's fault for mentioning surfeits of lampreys!)
47. Death Comes to Pemberley - P.D. James. (Neither good Regency pastiche nor good murder mystery. Null points, madame.)
48. Spanking the Maid - Robert Coover (Bah - not what it said on the tin. What Nanny Ogg would call "One o' they mettyfors.")
49. Empress Orchid - Anchee Min (The Last Emperor's mother ascends to power... horrifying.)
50. Number Ten - Sue Townsend (Rather laboured social satire. Readable but not exciting.)
51. Aesop's Fables - trans. George Fyler Townsend (Sententious. No wonder the Victorians loved it.)
54. The Psychopathology of Everyday Life - S. Freud (If you forget something, it's because secretly you want to forget it...)
55. Proud Northern Lady - Martin Holmes (Biography of Lady Anne Clifford. Pig-headed old boot.)
56. Herring on the Nile - L.C. Tyler (Self-consciously "clever" murder mystery. Unexciting.)

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Guinivere: Legend in Autumn Persia Woolley good trilogy well researched and lively
2. Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey - well done bit of Australian literature - a classic there
3. The Getting of Wisdom -Henry Handel Richardson -oh damn that was a chore....sigh - me and learning about Australia.
6 The Human Divison 1 - The B Team Scalzi - return of the serial novel = Heinlein incarnate
7. Identity (Eyes Wide Open, Book 1) Dekker - can't resist a freebie fast read with decent reviews tho not my fav genre. - okay you get what you pay for,
9. Toward Yesterday Paul Jones....I have not a CLUE where this is going...nowhere - yuck waste of time.
14 Buried in the Sky - brilliant - grabs you immediately - fucking incredible - rivals Into Thin Air
17 Storm Passage: Alone around Cape Horn - remarkable - literary - an understated feat of endurance.
18 Across Islands and Oceans - James Baldwin - very enjoyable - we're on a theme here...I'll start with the original now.
in progress
21 kidnapped Robert Louis Stevenson.....surprisingly entertaining despite the time frame...
22 Ep.#6 - "Head of the Dragon" (The Frontiers Saga)
23 An Account of the Mutiny on the Bounty - William Bligh
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 pm

1) Earthworms And Their Allies by F.E. Beddard.
2) Otter Country by Miriam Darlington.
3) The Horses Of St. Marks by Charles Freeman.
4) Everest ed. Peter Gillman.
5) Five On A Treasure Island by Enid Blyton.
6) Map Addict by Mike Parker.
7) The Art Of Travel by Alain De Botton.
8) The Spiderwick Chronicles Book Two: The Seeing Stone by DiTerlizzi and Black.
9) First Life by David Attenborough and Matt Kaplan.
10) A Darkling Plain by Philip Reeves.
11) Mia The Bridesmaid Fairy by Daisy Meadows.
12) Ottoline And The Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell.
13) South: The Story Of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition by Ernest Shackleton.
14) Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy.
15) On The Origin Of Species by Charles Darwin.
16) Stargazing With Binoculars by Robin Scagell and David Frydman.
17) Survivors by Richard Fortey.
18) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
19) The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.
20) Captain Cook's Journal During The First Voyage Around The World by Cpt. James Cook.
21) The Spiderwicke Chronincles book 3: Lucinda's Secret by DiTerlizzi and Black.
22) Coco's Story by Sarah Hawkins.
23) The A-Z of Whisky by Gavin D. Smith.
24) The Borgias by Christoper Hibbert.
25) The Darwinian Hypothesis by T.H. Huxley.
26) Sightlines by Kathleen Jamie.
27) Flatland by Edwin Abbott.
28) Wings: 100 Years Of British Aerial Warfare by Patrick Bishop.
29) The Secret Seven by Enid Blyton.
30) Pip of Pengersick: A Smuggler's Tale by Jac West.
31) The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.
32) The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.
33) The Particle At The End Of The Universe by Sean Carroll.
34) Supercontinent by Ted Nield.
35) Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel by Jeff Kinney.
36) The Pirates' Treasure by Emily Bearn.
37) The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
38) All The Countries We've Ever Invaded by Stuart Laycock.
39) Do You Think What You Think You Think? By Julian Baggini.
40) Cruel Britannia: A Secret History Of Torture by Ian Cobain.
41) A Rebours by J.K. Huysmans.
42) The Years Of Endurance 1793 - 1802 by Arthur Bryant.
43) Incoming! Or, Why We Should Stop Worrying and Learn To Love The Meteorite by Ted Nield.
44) The Collector by John Fowles.
45) Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks
46) Confessions Of An English Opium-eater by Thomas De Quincey
47) Mr Stink by David Walliams
48) Byzantium by Giles Morgan
49) Everest 1953 by Mick Conefrey
50) Rulers Of India: Akbar by George Bruce Malleson
51) As Easy As Pi by Jamie Buchan.
52) Can Anyone Hear Me? Testing Times With Test Match Special On Tour by Peter Baxter
53) Scotch: The Whisky Of Scotland in Fact And Story by Sir Robert Bruce Lockhart.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:57 pm

in progress
24 The Life of Buffalo Bill Cody - good read tho politically very incorrect for our times.

Callan
Invincible

Post by Callan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:25 pm

54. The Psychopathology of Everyday Life - S. Freud (If you forget something, it's because secretly you want to forget it...)
55. Proud Northern Lady - Martin Holmes (Biography of Lady Anne Clifford. Pig-headed old boot.)
56. Herring on the Nile - L.C. Tyler (Self-consciously "clever" murder mystery. Unexciting.)
57. The Adventures of Sally - P.G. Wodehouse (Not riotously funny, but still worthwhile.)
58. The Antidote - Oliver Burkeman (Happiness for those who can't stand positive thinking.)
59. The Tiger in the Smoke - Margery Allingham (Dated, stilted, predictable "thriller".)
60. The Pile of Stuff at the Bottom of the Stairs - Christina Hopkinson (Mildly amusing chick-lit.)

SteveB
Nibbler

Post by SteveB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:54 pm

SteveB wrote:1) Percy Gets Probed vol 1
2) Percy Gets Probed vol 1 (I read it twice, so I'm counting it twice!)
3) Percy Gets Probed vol 2
4) Percy Gets Probed vol 2
5) Doolie Gogh
6) Copyediting and Proofreading for Dummies
7) Redacted book due to NDA. :ninja:
Twit, twat, twaddle.

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Trigger Warning!!!1! :
1) Earthworms And Their Allies by F.E. Beddard.
2) Otter Country by Miriam Darlington.
3) The Horses Of St. Marks by Charles Freeman.
4) Everest ed. Peter Gillman.
5) Five On A Treasure Island by Enid Blyton.
6) Map Addict by Mike Parker.
7) The Art Of Travel by Alain De Botton.
8) The Spiderwick Chronicles Book Two: The Seeing Stone by DiTerlizzi and Black.
9) First Life by David Attenborough and Matt Kaplan.
10) A Darkling Plain by Philip Reeves.
11) Mia The Bridesmaid Fairy by Daisy Meadows.
12) Ottoline And The Yellow Cat by Chris Riddell.
13) South: The Story Of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition by Ernest Shackleton.
14) Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy.
15) On The Origin Of Species by Charles Darwin.
16) Stargazing With Binoculars by Robin Scagell and David Frydman.
17) Survivors by Richard Fortey.
18) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
19) The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce.
20) Captain Cook's Journal During The First Voyage Around The World by Cpt. James Cook.
21) The Spiderwicke Chronincles book 3: Lucinda's Secret by DiTerlizzi and Black.
22) Coco's Story by Sarah Hawkins.
23) The A-Z of Whisky by Gavin D. Smith.
24) The Borgias by Christoper Hibbert.
25) The Darwinian Hypothesis by T.H. Huxley.
26) Sightlines by Kathleen Jamie.
27) Flatland by Edwin Abbott.
28) Wings: 100 Years Of British Aerial Warfare by Patrick Bishop.
29) The Secret Seven by Enid Blyton.
30) Pip of Pengersick: A Smuggler's Tale by Jac West.
31) The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.
32) The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.
33) The Particle At The End Of The Universe by Sean Carroll.
34) Supercontinent by Ted Nield.
35) Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel by Jeff Kinney.
36) The Pirates' Treasure by Emily Bearn.
37) The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
38) All The Countries We've Ever Invaded by Stuart Laycock.
39) Do You Think What You Think You Think? By Julian Baggini.
40) Cruel Britannia: A Secret History Of Torture by Ian Cobain.
41) A Rebours by J.K. Huysmans.
42) The Years Of Endurance 1793 - 1802 by Arthur Bryant.
43) Incoming! Or, Why We Should Stop Worrying and Learn To Love The Meteorite by Ted Nield.
44) The Collector by John Fowles.
45) Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks
46) Confessions Of An English Opium-eater by Thomas De Quincey
47) Mr Stink by David Walliams
48) Byzantium by Giles Morgan
49) Everest 1953 by Mick Conefrey
50) Rulers Of India: Akbar by George Bruce Malleson
51) As Easy As Pi by Jamie Buchan.
52) Can Anyone Hear Me? Testing Times With Test Match Special On Tour by Peter Baxter
53) Scotch: The Whisky Of Scotland in Fact And Story by Sir Robert Bruce Lockhart.
54) The Secret Lives f Buildings by Edward Hollis
55) The Student's Guide To Writing by John Peck and Martin Coyle.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:53 am

1. Snowball in Hell - Christopher Brookmyre
2. Do Not Pass Go - Tim Moore
3. Earth, Air, Fire, and Custard - Tom Holt
4. Back Story - David Mitchell
5. City of Falling Angels - John Berendt
6. We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
7. High-Rise - JG Ballard
8. The Chaperone - Laura Moriarty
9. Percy Gets Probed - some bloke
10. Complete Stories of JG Ballard (50 effing discs, about 1100 pages! :dizzy: )
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:07 am

24 The Life of Buffalo Bill Cody - good read tho politically very incorrect for our times.
25 A voyage to the South Sea undertaken by Captain William Bligh - William Bligh > quite fascinating.