What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Jason
Destroyer of words

Re: What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by Jason » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:32 am

Amusing endnote from the book I'm reading:
Electoral politics is a little like fishing. When you fish you get up early in the morning and go to where the fish are - not to where you might wish them to be. You then drop bait into the water (bait being defined as something they want to eat, not as "healthy choices"). Once the fish realize they are hooked they may resist. Let them; loosen your line. Eventually they will calm down and you can slowly reel them in, careful not to provoke them unnecessarily. The identity liberals' approach to fishing is to remain on shore, yelling at the fish about the historical wrongs visited upon them by the sea, and the need for aquatic life to renounce its privilege. All in the hope that the fish will collectively confess their sins and swim to shore to be netted.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:29 am

The 'The Left' is an easy, yet effective, shorthand, but I'm bored and frustrated by shorthand politics - it suits the political chancer in its application far more than meeting any shortfall in descriptive necessity. Contemporary Western politics relies too heavily on the ad hom imo - the 'The Left' and the 'alt-Right' being two ready tokens by which that lazy fallacy is raised, almost to the level of an art form.

:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:04 am

Brian Peacock wrote:The 'The Left' is an easy, yet effective, shorthand, but I'm bored and frustrated by shorthand politics - it suits the political chancer in its application far more than meeting any shortfall in descriptive necessity. Contemporary Western politics relies too heavily on the ad hom imo - the 'The Left' and the 'alt-Right' being two ready tokens by which that lazy fallacy is raised, almost to the level of an art form.

Nevertheless, I must say the analogy Śiva quoted is not merely amusing. It is the best I have encountered in a long time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:08 am

Hermit wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:The 'The Left' is an easy, yet effective, shorthand, but I'm bored and frustrated by shorthand politics - it suits the political chancer in its application far more than meeting any shortfall in descriptive necessity. Contemporary Western politics relies too heavily on the ad hom imo - the 'The Left' and the 'alt-Right' being two ready tokens by which that lazy fallacy is raised, almost to the level of an art form.

Nevertheless, I must say the analogy Śiva quoted is not merely amusing. It is the best I have encountered in a long time.
And the jihadists simply throw a lit stick of dynamite into the water...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Finally arrived. Delving into it now.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:13 am

A nostalgic look at a play I read in German, the peak of my German skills first year in college. I had to buy several plays but will only read one. In English this time.
Friedrich Dürrenmatt's play Romulus der Große (Romulus the Great, 1950)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulus_the_Great
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:10 pm

This Is Reggae Music, The Story of Jamaica's Music. Lloyd Bradley :biggrin:

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:08 pm

It bogs down in a few spots, but all in all, one of the most amazing biographies I ever read.
http://www.amazon.com/Snoring-Bird-Fami ... 006074216X

I gave my hard cover to someone.

normal
!
!
About me: meh

Post by normal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:36 am

Have started Frederick Forsyth's Avenger. So far there's been mostly character development and background for the story. And that has been done in an excellent way. Now I just hope the story will be as good as the introduction :pop:

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   -Douglas Adams

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:54 am

Leonard Susskind's The Black Hole War about his scientific tussle with Stephen Hawking over whether information is truly lost when it falls into a black hole.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:23 pm

What do those guys mean by information?

Sean asked as though he may be of some help here. :hehe:

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:What do those guys mean by information?

Sean asked as though he may be of some help here. :hehe:
Basically this (from wiki)
The black hole information paradox[1] is a puzzle resulting from the combination of quantum mechanics and general relativity. Calculations suggest that physical information could permanently disappear in a black hole, allowing many physical states to devolve into the same state. This is controversial because it violates a commonly assumed tenet of science—that in principle the value of a wave function of a physical system at one point in time should determine its value at any other time.[2][3] A fundamental postulate of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics is that complete information about a system is encoded in its wave function up to when the wave function collapses. The evolution of the wave function is determined by a unitary operator, and unitarity implies that information is conserved in the quantum sense.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:57 pm

:lol: Oh, is that all? --found this while getting lost in all that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_information

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 am

Days of the Comet H.G. Wells, an edition so old it could be a first edition...late 20's edition...channeling history whilst reading.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:12 am

I'm just finishing up The Craft of Research. I went to the library today and picked up a couple of books to help me identify a research project. I think my best bet is with How To Create A Mind, Ray Kurzweil. It seems to go to the heart of the question I raised here before about augmentation. :biggrin: