What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

apophenia
IN DAMNATIO MEMORIAE
About me: A bird without a feather, a gull without a sea, a flock without a shore.

Re: What are you reading now? (Chapter 2)

Post by apophenia » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:15 am

Reading tip: read large print books occasionally. You'll feel like a reading god as the pages go whipping by.

It's like being the family dog, head out the window, as your owner chauffeurs you around at optimal, ear-flapping, cruising speed, and your head becomes an example of aerodynamic beauty.

Currently trying to squeeze The Year Of Living Biblically into a 16 hour stretch. You won't gain any great transcendant truths, but he's a very good writer, not great, but very good; at least a chuckle if not a snort every few pages.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Finally arrived at the very end and had to let go of The History of The Hobbit :cry: I wish there was more of it, but alas, AFAIK Rateliff's two books cover pretty much all Tolkien wrote for and about The Hobbit.

So now it's time for The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy, by Mark Logue and Peter Conradi. Borrowed it from my mom, who claims it to be good. We shall see...

Also reading DocBook 5: The Definitive Guide by Norman Walsh, for work.
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

M
Arm wrestling champion

Post by M » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Naked, David Sedaris
Bloody Greta Garbo

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Finally reading The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker. I hope to get through a chapter a night, or thereabouts. :read:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:31 pm

klr wrote:Finally reading The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker. I hope to get through a chapter a night, or thereabouts. :read:
I'm about halfway through. It's 800 pages, so I'll race you.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Convention for Promoting Safety of Life at Sea
HEARINGS BEFORE A SUBCOMMITTEE OF THE COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN RELATIONS UNITED STATES SENATE

SEVENTY-FOURTH CONGRESS

FIRST SESSION ON

CONVENTION FOR PROMOTING SAFETY OF LIFE AT SEA
JUNE 11 AND 17, 1935
Printed for the use of the Committee on Foreign Relations
UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE WASHINGTON: 1935
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Ian wrote:
klr wrote:Finally reading The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker. I hope to get through a chapter a night, or thereabouts. :read:
I'm about halfway through. It's 800 pages, so I'll race you.
Damn this is serious - must remember to bookmark properly every night. :read:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:54 pm

The Bible Unearthed by some Jewish guys.

Pits the biblical narrative against the historical and archaeological evidence. Turns out, unsurprisingly, that most of it is exaggerated, made up or otherwise out of step with evidence. Moses never existed. The exodus and conquering of Canaan never happened. King David and Solomon's empires were not the massive and opulent kingdoms they were portrayed to be. Turns out most of it was written as propaganda around the time of King Josiah in the 7th century bc for political and religious reasons.

Highly recommended.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:38 am

Animavore wrote:The Bible Unearthed by some Jewish guys.

Pits the biblical narrative against the historical and archaeological evidence. Turns out, unsurprisingly, that most of it is exaggerated, made up or otherwise out of step with evidence. Moses never existed. The exodus and conquering of Canaan never happened. King David and Solomon's empires were not the massive and opulent kingdoms they were portrayed to be. Turns out most of it was written as propaganda around the time of King Josiah in the 7th century bc for political and religious reasons.

Highly recommended.
Thanks for the tip. :tup:
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

apophenia
IN DAMNATIO MEMORIAE
About me: A bird without a feather, a gull without a sea, a flock without a shore.

Post by apophenia » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:53 am

Neil Asher Silberman and Israel Finkelstein . Israel is good. If you're into that, William Dever is top-notch too.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:40 am

Re-reading "Unknown quantity", sub-titled "A real and imaginary history of algebra", by John Derbyshire.

Absolutely magnificent.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:34 am

You Can't Read This Book: Censorship In An Age Of Freedom by Nick Cohen.

From religious zealots trying to silence Salman Rushdie and bomb bookshops into not stocking The Satanic Verses to loose-trousered footballers getting super-injunctions to hide their pecadillos via the utter lunacy of the UKs libel laws. One chapter in and enjoying it immensely.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:33 am

Well, I just finished it, but it was... It was awesome. Really really good.

Nation, Terry Pratchett. I'm guessing a lot of you already know this book is awesome.

Oh, And I also just finished The Subtle Knife, Pullman. Also fantastic.

Yay for my library card!!!!!
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:35 am

M wrote:Naked, David Sedaris
Ah, that's a lot of fun. I've read it... at least twice. One of those I pick up again if I'm out of other options.
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut

Post by Ronja » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:30 pm

hadespussercats wrote:... I also just finished The Subtle Knife, Pullman. Also fantastic.
Yes! :cheer: We read the trilogy aloud to the kids about a year ago, and the whole family loved it. Both MiM and I had read them before, and we just waited until they were old enough to handle the topics and themes.