Catcher in the Rye

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Catcher in the Rye

Post by Lozzer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:33 pm

There's only one word to describe this entire book--WOW, just wow.

I'm astounded at how this can even be considered a classic, let alone a piece literature at all. Its probably the most tedious trash I've ever had to read. I got all the way to chapter 5. I only read it until that chapter because I expected something to actually happen after the first or second chapter but nothing did. I skipped to the last page, where I found some closure. Turns out, nothing happens at all. Its good to know one isn't being presumptuous.

The narrator is supposed to be 16 years old, this doesn't justify the author implementing the word 'goddamn' in every sentence. Its repetitive as well as irritating. Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn could pull it off, and he did--but not J. D. Salinger. Supposedly, this book is supposed to read with a teenage mentality, well I am a teenager and it has to be said that at 16 I could have wrote a book far better than this.And as boring as my life might be at times, its allot more eventful that the protagonists.

I can't stand overrated books, particularly this one. I've put it where it rightfully belongs (next to the Kite Runner).

Wow.
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

irreligionist
Peripheral participant
About me: nothing really to tell

Re: Catcher in the Rye

Post by irreligionist » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 pm

I think it's a fantastic book. I read it over 20 years ago and I still think about the protagonist.

Different strokes 'n' shit like that...

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Post by Lozzer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:43 pm

irreligionist wrote:I think it's a fantastic book. I read it over 20 years ago and I still think about the protagonist.

Different strokes 'n' shit like that...

How so?
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

irreligionist
Peripheral participant
About me: nothing really to tell

Post by irreligionist » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure there's literature out there that I wouldn't rate but you would like.

Trinity
About me: I'm growing a new me!!

Post by Trinity » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:07 am

I found it infinitely touching; the reluctance, verging on vehemence to avoid growing up but knowing the inevitability of the same. The want to preserve and maintain the preciousness (however challenging and confusing) of childhood. It's been many years since I read it and I have forgotten a lot, but this is what I remember feeling when I read it.
Here's to Now.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:21 am

I've read that it helps to keep in mind that the narration is actually Holden talking to his psychiatrist or therapist, as the story reveals that he was put under psychiatric care. It was hard to pinpoint a single point that the book was trying to make, and you have to get into analyzing imagery and word choice and such, all of which makes it too much work, IMO. It was a worthwhile read for me, but nothing I'd rave about, exactly.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Transgirlofnofaith
Everyone's favourite loudmouth Furry narcissist.

Post by Transgirlofnofaith » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:18 am

Lozzer wrote:There's only one word to describe this entire book--WOW, just wow.

I'm astounded at how this can even be considered a classic, let alone a piece literature at all. Its probably the most tedious trash I've ever had to read. I got all the way to chapter 5. I only read it until that chapter because I expected something to actually happen after the first or second chapter but nothing did. I skipped to the last page, where I found some closure. Turns out, nothing happens at all. Its good to know one isn't being presumptuous.

The narrator is supposed to be 16 years old, this doesn't justify the author implementing the word 'goddamn' in every sentence. Its repetitive as well as irritating. Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn could pull it off, and he did--but not J. D. Salinger. Supposedly, this book is supposed to read with a teenage mentality, well I am a teenager and it has to be said that at 16 I could have wrote a book far better than this.And as boring as my life might be at times, its allot more eventful that the protagonists.

I can't stand overrated books, particularly this one. I've put it where it rightfully belongs (next to the Kite Runner).

Wow.
This is just a pathetic and honestly idiotic dismissal of one of the greatest books of the twentieth century. I will never again pay attention to any of your recommendations for books. Your opinions on the subject of literature are just fucking worthless if you are this dismissive of The Catcher In The Rye. Maybe you'd like something with more explosions, bad diologue, and 2D, boring, sterotypical characters. For you, I reccomend anything by this guy:

:tdown:
Under (re)construction

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:05 am

MoNF, you've been as dismissive of Lozzer as the he is about a book, do you see the problem there?

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Beelzebub2
Oiled Hunk

Post by Beelzebub2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:23 am

Right - how could he dare to speak in such dismissive manner about Catcher in the Rye, the epitome of good taste, the peak of literary development, eighth world wonder? :o

He should wash his mouth, kneel on some corn cobs and flagellate himself sincerely. :coffee:

Transgirlofnofaith

Post by Transgirlofnofaith » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:57 am

AshtonBlack wrote:MoNF, you've been as dismissive of Lozzer as the he is about a book, do you see the problem there?
Well, despite your framed question, there is no problem. When he writes shit like this:
Lozzer wrote:Its probably the most tedious trash I've ever had to read.
He's just asking to have the piss taken out of his review. If you read my response again, you'll notice that I was attacking lozzer's opinion, not lozzer himself. I was not, despite your claim, attacking lozzer. Do you see the problem in your opinion there? I have the right on here to say someone's opinion is shit, and it's only a problem if a member attacks someone personally. Go read the rules. :evil:
Under (re)construction

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Manofnofaith wrote:
AshtonBlack wrote:MoNF, you've been as dismissive of Lozzer as the he is about a book, do you see the problem there?
Well, despite your framed question, there is no problem. When he writes shit like this:
He's just asking to have the piss taken out of his review. If you read my response again, you'll notice that I was attacking lozzer's opinion, not lozzer himself. I was not, despite your claim, attacking lozzer. Do you see the problem in your opinion there? I have the right on here to say someone's opinion is shit, and it's only a problem if a member attacks someone personally. Go read the rules. :evil:
With emphasis on the word "attacking."
Yes, I know you bent over backwards NOT to ad hom.

However,
MoNF wrote: I will never again pay attention to any of your recommendations for books.
Suggests that a) You did listen to his opinion about book his recommendations in the past (care to name one?) or b) You were being JUST as dismissive of his opinion, as he was about the book.

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Manofnofaith wrote:
It would be more useful if you included your reasoning why you disagree with Lozzer's review, ie make some comment about what you found of value in the book, rather than just call his review shit. You don't successfully 'take the piss' that way, not that enjoyment of reading material is any kind of pissing contest ... unless it's some kind of fetish or something ...
no fences

Transgirlofnofaith

Post by Transgirlofnofaith » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Charlou wrote:It would be more useful if you included your reasoning why you disagree with Lozzer's review, ie make some comment about what you found of value in the book,
I did. Didn't you read my original post in here? I expounded on the themes quite well.
Under (re)construction

Beelzebub2
Oiled Hunk

Post by Beelzebub2 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Right - "expounding on the themes quite well" was saying that it is "one of the greatest books of the 20th century". :coffee:
Manofnofaith wrote: This is just a pathetic and honestly idiotic dismissal of one of the greatest books of the twentieth century. I will never again pay attention to any of your recommendations for books. Your opinions on the subject of literature are just fucking worthless if you are this dismissive of The Catcher In The Rye.

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:30 pm

I personally enjoyed the book - though it's been a while since I read it, so I couldn't pinpoint the bits that I liked. To each their own, I suppose. :tea:
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.