Books.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator
About me: Trying to avoid existential despair.

Re: Books.

Post by Existentialist1844 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:44 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Existentialist1844 wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:<should this thread be moved to the lit. section?>
No, because then no one will see it. :lay:
I'd look at it. :(
Do what you have to do.
It's not about books, it's about reading books. :D
:mrgreen:
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

:pounce:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 pm

I would say move it but not if it would upset Exi.

I often have 3 or 4 books on the go at a time. Especially if I am reading something long and demanding, then i will leave it for a day or two and knock off a quick Pratchett or the like.

Currently, I am reading Darwin's Origin of Species, A Brian Aldiss fantasy called The Malacia Tapestry, an Ian Rankin thriller I forget the title of and also dipping into the last couple of issues of Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine. I was reading John Sladek's Roderick but I finished that, I will be starting on the sequel, Roderick at Random, as soon as I finish the Aldiss.

I am also (slowly) writing a couple of stories that are probably going to finish up as novellas or even short novels.

I can pick up a book I haven't touched for a couple of weeks, go straight to the page I was on and carry on reading, no matter what I have been reading in between - always have been able to.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:02 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:I would say move it but not if it would upset Exi.

I often have 3 or 4 books on the go at a time. Especially if I am reading something long and demanding, then i will leave it for a day or two and knock off a quick Pratchett or the like.

Currently, I am reading Darwin's Origin of Species, A Brian Aldiss fantasy called The Malacia Tapestry, an Ian Rankin thriller I forget the title of and also dipping into the last couple of issues of Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine. I was reading John Sladek's Roderick but I finished that, I will be starting on the sequel, Roderick at Random, as soon as I finish the Aldiss.

I am also (slowly) writing a couple of stories that are probably going to finish up as novellas or even short novels.

I can pick up a book I haven't touched for a couple of weeks, go straight to the page I was on and carry on reading, no matter what I have been reading in between - always have been able to.
I would say move it but not if it would upset Exi.
:mrgreen: :hugs:
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:00 am

Exi, if the thread gets moved to Lit, there'll be a shadow left in The Pub so it will be available in both ...

I usually have four or five books on the go at any time ... sometimes I finish them, sometimes I don't ...

So much to read, so little time.
no fences

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Charlou wrote:Exi, if the thread gets moved to Lit, there'll be a shadow left in The Pub so it will be available in both ...

I usually have four or five books on the go at any time ... sometimes I finish them, sometimes I don't ...

So much to read, so little time.
Exi, if the thread gets moved to Lit, there'll be a shadow left in The Pub so it will be available in both ...
:tup:

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:54 pm

Existentialist1844 wrote:Im just curious, have you ever read multiple books at one time? I have tried this, but I dont like it. I have a friend who reads 2 or 3 books at one time. He will read a little from each book every day. Not my style.

What about you?

I must be really bored..............
I do it often. It's occasionally confusing if I do it with multiple novels, but combining a novel with one or more non-fiction books is fine.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Okay ... done. :tup:
no fences

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Charlou wrote:
Okay ... done. :tup:
OH NO, I cant believe you did it. Oh the humanity!!!!!

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 pm

I never come here!
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 am

I overdosed on books at the end of last year, some book challenge on TAF, I read about 1 book a day , several at a time and mostly not my choices ,I just asked all my friends to lend me books . My shrink once told me to be careful and not get hooked on reading as an excuse to avoid the RL?
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:52 am

mrenutt4 wrote:I overdosed on books at the end of last year, some book challenge on TAF, I read about 1 book a day , several at a time and mostly not my choices ,I just asked all my friends to lend me books . My shrink once told me to be careful and not get hooked on reading as an excuse to avoid the RL?
I guess that could be said of any activity.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:10 am

mrenutt4 wrote:I overdosed on books at the end of last year, some book challenge on TAF, I read about 1 book a day , several at a time and mostly not my choices ,I just asked all my friends to lend me books . My shrink once told me to be careful and not get hooked on reading as an excuse to avoid the RL?
Like being online! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:11 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:
Pretty much. And other activities. :lol:

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:13 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:
I have no idea to what you are referring, oh man-with-huge-forearms... :coffee:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator

Post by Existentialist1844 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:14 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:
I have no idea to what you are referring, oh man-with-huge-forearms... :coffee:
Actually, I do have really big forearms. But I swear, its from working out!! :tup: