The Potable Atheist
About me: All things in moderation, including moderation

Re: What is the wrongest book you own?

Post by Faithfree » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Cormac wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:
Tero wrote:Aha, have located Gideon new testicle. These were given away to teens. A kind of King James.
I never understood why the gideons didn't give out bibles with both testaments in them to most christians they're kinda important. :?
They do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gideons
Yes. I take great pleasure in marking them up to highlight:

1. The cruel, capricious, tormenting, infanticidal, and genocidal nature of the biblical deity, and
2. The numerous contradictions within the bible.
These are easy to make:

I used to have a very similar one that I would to stick in Gideon babbles. Ran out of copies - must print some more. :tup:
Although it may look like a forum, this site is actually a crowd-sourced science project modelling the slow but inexorable heat death of the universe.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Faithfree wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote: These are easy to make:

I used to have a very similar one that I would to stick in Gideon babbles. Ran out of copies - must print some more. :tup:
When you're bored in the hotel, and can't bear to wank again, just grab a highlighter and the Bible, and highlight all the naughty bits. I recommend the Song of Solomon. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV

...you might freak someone out if you highlight some dirty bits -- dog ear some of the pages -- and strategically spill some liquid to stain the pages and make them stick together a bit....
Last edited by Coito ergo sum on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faithfree
The Potable Atheist

Post by Faithfree » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:00 pm

I have some real gems in my collection. This is just the beginning:
Although it may look like a forum, this site is actually a crowd-sourced science project modelling the slow but inexorable heat death of the universe.

Faithfree
The Potable Atheist

Post by Faithfree » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:01 pm

This one's a real cracker:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:03 pm

"Noah's Ark: I touched it" :hilarious:

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Subtitle - "And it touched me!"

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Faithfree wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote: These are easy to make:

When you're bored in the hotel, and can't bear to wank again, just grab a highlighter and the Bible, and highlight all the naughty bits. I recommend the Song of Solomon. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV

...you might freak someone out if you highlight some dirty bits -- dog ear some of the pages -- and strategically spill some liquid to stain the pages and make them stick together a bit....

:)
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:14 am

Cormac wrote:

I have hours in hotel rooms. I am happy enough with inserting tabs such as:

God orders rape
God orders murder
God orders genocide

etc. etc.

You do realise your doing similar things that the westboro baptists to justify their bigotry only difference is that your trying to prove that god is big bad and evil which i find deeply ironic for someone who claims to be an atheist and think the bible is a load of shite as you've told me in not so many words on my FB pages cormac.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:35 am

What good is a god that can't take a joke. Wait, there is no humor in the bible!

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:46 am

Tero wrote:What good is a god that can't take a joke. Wait, there is no humor in the bible!
It might be my aspergers kicking in tero but i didn't sound like a joke. :ddpan:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:33 am

Sorry, I always tend to go in the opposite direction when I hear Bible these days. I would still debate Bible a couple of years ago.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 am

Tero wrote:Sorry, I always tend to go in the opposite direction when I hear Bible these days. I would still debate Bible a couple of years ago.
Yup i should remember that its pointless debating such things you either get it or your don't.

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:41 am

redunderthebed wrote:
Cormac wrote:

I have hours in hotel rooms. I am happy enough with inserting tabs such as:

God orders rape
God orders murder
God orders genocide

etc. etc.

You do realise your doing similar things that the westboro baptists to justify their bigotry only difference is that your trying to prove that god is big bad and evil which i find deeply ironic for someone who claims to be an atheist and think the bible is a load of shite as you've told me in not so many words on my FB pages cormac.

The only thing that the Westboro Baptists get right is the actual character of the so-called Abrahamic God, based on an uncherrypicked reading of the Bible.

As far as I am concerned, the Bible is an interesting historical artefact, and a valuable work of literature. It is not the revealed "wisdom" of any god, and it is most certainly not a guide to moral living.

My purpose in marking up bibles this way is to ironically demonstrate this to a potential reader.

If the Gideons can freely place Bibles in hotel rooms, I am free to show people what the bible actually is - a socially dangerous, internally inconsistent, hate-filled, homicide justifying collection of stories from a prehistoric and violent people.

It does contain some moments of beauty, and does have points which highlight the best of humanity, but in these it is neither original nor sufficient.

I like to play a small part in removing the emperor's new clothes as far as the bible is concerned.

I see no comparison between what I do and what the Westboro Baptists do. I show the absurdity of the bible, they take it seriously. I say that noone should look to the bible and its slavering hate-filled god, and they insist that you bow down before it.

Chalk and Cheese old man.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:59 am

I got a bible, of course
and some 'hidden history' books like 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' that lie through their pages and try to pass bad fiction for historical fact.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping