Urgent need to buy 15 audio books by August 1st

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Re: Urgent need to buy 15 audio books by August 1st

Post by rasetsu » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:39 pm

Found a pair of on-ear Koss that clip on that look good, but I'm pinching pennies until the new year. Amazon had a pair of Maxell behind-the-neck headphones in Used -- Like New condition for $3.60. Those and all the other headphones that I own will get me through the next couple of months.

Koss KSC75

Maxell Behind-the-Neck

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:17 am

I ended up selecting East Of Eden by Steinbeck, and I bought the Kindle version of Dickens' A Tale Of Two Cities along with the audible edition, even though there's a free version in the general library. I intend to cancel my audible membership until I have more time and more money. For some reason, Audible is showing that I own the audiobook of the Kindle copy of Don Quixote that I purchased, although I know I returned the audiobook and received a refund. Go figure.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:50 am

Steinbeck can certainly write. Master wordcrafter - his description of a horse race in The Reivers haunts me and the movie producers read it out during the film version.

this seems to be the whole movie

I agree with this comment
This movie was a real diamond in the rough. It's one of my favorites -- the best coming of age story I know.
And IMO, that second race was the best in movie history. The cinematography, slow motion, music, narration -- a real piece of cinema art.
I had to write an essay on it for film critic class in uni and watched it many times. Really enjoyed it.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:38 pm

2 books for one Audible credit sale ends today
https://www.audible.com/special-promo/2 ... R75MN0B602
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:19 pm

Well, that should provide a welcome diversion.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:29 am

Sales like this can be very frustrating. I'm very interested in Mario Puzo's The Godfather but only half interested in anything else. The Autobiography Of Malcolm X is well-reviewed, but the sample is underwhelming; supposedly it develops over the course of the book, but it's hard to take that on faith. The other possibility is Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 which is quite appealing, but it's a very short book, only 5 hours long, half a credit for a book half the usual length.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:02 am

I stick with the longer books for audio as can read the shorter ones in a couple of days for free.
So Peter F Hamilton tomes are audio delights...anything under 15 hours not so much.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:49 am

Picked up a couple of Peter Hamilton...Book 1 and Book 3 of the Void Trilogy ...we own book 2 in paper back.
No deals on them but 22.5 hours and 24 hous 45 min on the other for under $10 each on the annual plan works fine.

Also scooped up the entire remaining Master and Commander series ...21 books in all on LibGen to read at my leisure. Since I already own the entiere paperback set I have no compunction playing pirate. Will let me get to sleep better too as I fall asleep with both media but the audio book keeps on going so I have to backtrack. I likely covered the first novel close to twice tho some are worth it.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:26 pm

Tried my true wireless headphones that I got for $10 yesterday. It took me a few minutes to realize that I was trying to put them in upside-down. They have decent sound, but the right one was uncomfortable for some reason. My $4 Maxell Behind-the-Neck ones are fine, but they don't get loud enough to hear easily over the bus. But they'll be good for walking around or while I'm donating plasma. And I just ordered a set of Lenovo XE66's (below). Newegg had them as a deal of the day, and I Googled and a seller on Walmart.com had the same price, except with store return and extended holiday return period. They were $13 before tax.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:02 pm

Grabbed The Godfather and The Autobiography Of Malcom X. Considering two more at the price of $14.95 for both. Mary Beard's S.P.Q.R. sounds doable, and The Wives of Henry VIII looks good as well, but I'll do some more looking and mull it over a while.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:18 pm

If this one ..- great value

and this
40 hours for $15 - good value. :dance:

I've been snagging Hamilton while reading O'brian instead of listening...saved $200.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:18 pm

Returned the cheapo case I bought for my Paperwhite and spent $5 more on a decent case. I am really glad I did. The cheap case simply held the Kindle with elastic straps. The new case is form fitting, has a magnetic latch, and turns the Kindle on or off when you open and close it. I may only use it for a month, but it is so much better that I don't half mind. I haven't narrowed my Black Friday shopping list down yet. I want a new TV, a new Kindle Paperwhite, a new phone, and an XBOX. However, the fewer things that I buy right away, the easier it will be to maintain good credit. On the other hand, if I delay purchases until after Christmas, the overall cost will be more. I'm currently thinking of focusing on the Kindle and the phone, as both will have deep discounts over the holidays. The XBOX, not so much. Yet getting all three -- TV, Kindle, and phone -- is likely an unacceptably large burden on my available credit. It's something that I'll need to figure out by Thanksgiving.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:57 pm

macdoc wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:18 pm
If this one ..- great value
a classic on that particular matter.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:13 am

My headphones arrived today and they're very shoe-like. Oh well. Not sure whether I'll reorder them. I should just wait and buy the Sonys.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:24 am

Book Four of series....17 to go

also listening to
Diamond Age.
just brilliant.