Most Over Rated

Julia
About me: Refugee from RDF

Re: Most Over Rated

Post by Julia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:12 am

Animavore wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:
Julia wrote:
Deep Sea Isopod wrote:Bridget Jones diary.
Nooooo. That was a very funny movie! Just what it was supposed to be. :o
I loved that movie! And the book.
Only a woman could love that film.
NOOOOO! My husband likes it too, so there! :lol:

Julia

Post by Julia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:13 am

Deep Sea Isopod wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:
Julia wrote:
Chick flick. :nono:
I guess you only like dick flicks, huh? :twisted:

CookieJon

Post by CookieJon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:13 am

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:14 am

Julia wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:
Julia wrote:
You're gonna be in for a nasty shock when you find out he's having an affair with Simon, the young guy who works in the cake shop.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:15 am

Julia wrote:
Deep Sea Isopod wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:
Julia wrote:
Chick flick. :nono:
I guess you only like dick flicks, huh? :twisted:
Snick...

...er :shifty:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

cowiz
Shirley
About me: Head up a camels arse

Post by cowiz » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:15 am

Animavore wrote:
Julia wrote:
You're gonna be in for a nasty shock when you find out he's having an affair with Simon, the young guy who works in the cake shop.
I like cake
It's a piece of piss to be cowiz, but it's not cowiz to be a piece of piss. Or something like that.

Julia

Post by Julia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am

Animavore wrote: You're gonna be in for a nasty shock when you find out he's having an affair with Simon, the young guy who works in the cake shop.
Now where's that "sticking out the tongue" emoticon? Ah, here it is: :Erasb: :twisted: :hilarious: :drunk:

Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:19 am

Oh cool. We have one here as well.

Let's see:

Iron Man - solid superhero movie, but unoriginal and transparent, hardly deserving the hype it got.
Dark Knight - same. Though less transparent and more jarringly realistic. I miss Burton's Batman.

Juno - indieness for the sake of indieness

Ratatouille/Wall-E/Up/Every Pixar movie after Incredibles - the themes are all the same, just applied to different unconvential characters. Wall-E had zero character development, half of it boring as hell and the second half a ripoff of 2001. Up didn't deserve best picture nor screenplay; same cookie-cutter plot only applied to terrible art direction. Too inconsistent to feel like a coherent world, not quirky enough to be interesting.
Toy Story - Why not? Sure, it was revolutionary, but retrospectively it's not the strongest of the Pixar canon. That, and its success is the reason why Pixar is scared to stray from the same screenplay themes for the past decade.

2001: A Space Odyssey. Long and boring as hell. Plus Kubrick's fascination with "pop" Classical music bugs the shit out of me.
A Clockwork Orange - same thing with the music. Because everyone knows that you're a music connoisseur when the only two songs you've ever listened to are "Singin' in the Rain" and Beethoven's 9th.

American Beauty - transcendentalist bullshit.

Sound of Music - Rodger's and Hammerstein can't write music for shit. Let's throw in every R&H musical movie ever made.

Sweeney Todd - the movie was good, but not great. Film was a great medium to do the gore justice, but unfortunately the actors don't have the pipes for the songs.
Every single broadway musical adaptation.

The Matrix - the premise was great, the plot was terrible. A huge WTF ending. And this is all ignoring the two sequels whose existence I still refuse to acknowledge.
Sin City/The Spirit/300/Watchmen - beautiful art direction; little else going on for them.

Gone with the Wind. Scarlett's a bitch. Rhett's a man-whore. In civil war Georgia. Thanks for transferring the other 1200 pages of sub-par novella to a 3 hour bore-fest.

Tarantino movies minus Kill Bill. Shoot-em-ups with way too much dialogue, the lot of them.

Bruckheimer films sans Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one). Pacing, man, pacing. And Cage can't act for shit. Also, too much conspiracy.

Cameron films, excluding Alien. All flash, no substance.

About half of the Burton films. All artsy, same substance.

Howard films. Just go DIAF.

Nearly every war/sports/romance/horror/thriller movie ever made.

Pretty much every "comedian-driven" movie ever made.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

Religulous. Bill Maher is a strident, sophomoric asshole who doesn't know the first thing about why religion is bullshit. No one on either side of the argument cares to hear a guy ask people if they believe in a talking snake for nearly two hours.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:24 am

Tell us what you really think.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

RuleBritannia
Cupid is a cunt!
About me: About you

Post by RuleBritannia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:23 am

This isn't the What Movies Don't You Like thread, it's the Most Overrated thread, the movies have to be OVERRATED i.e. rated more highly than they deserve.
RuleBritannia © MMXI

MissingNo.
Cheese is christ

Post by MissingNo. » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:32 am

Mephistopheles, most of what you said is justifiable but I don't really think you can say that "every comedy-driven movie every made" is overrated.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:34 am

heyzeus wrote:Mephistopheles, most of what you said is justifiable but I don't really think you can say that "every comedy-driven move every made" is overrated.
Actually he said every "comedian driven movie". I think what he means are those comedies which are there to showcase a comedian of one kind or other.
Films like Beverly Hills Cop or Good Luck Chuck.

RuleBritannia
Cupid is a cunt!
About me: About you

Post by RuleBritannia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:37 am

Animavore wrote:
heyzeus wrote:Mephistopheles, most of what you said is justifiable but I don't really think you can say that "every comedy-driven move every made" is overrated.
Actually he said every "comedian driven movie". I think what he means are those comedies which are there to showcase a comedian of one kind or other.
But not every "comedian driven movie" is OVERRATED, some of them are rated negatively.
RuleBritannia © MMXI

MissingNo.
Cheese is christ

Post by MissingNo. » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:37 am

Animavore wrote:
Oh, well, same difference. It's still not justifiable for the same reason. You can't really claim that every comedian-driven movie is held in high regard by any particular group. Maybe vacuous stoners or something.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:39 am

heyzeus wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Oh, well, same difference. It's still not justifiable for the same reason. You can't really claim that every comedian-driven movie is held in high regard by any particular group. Maybe vacuous stoners or something.
:bong:

Sorry! Wha'...?