Most Over Rated

Arse

Re: Most Over Rated

Post by Arse » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:47 am

Randydeluxe wrote:The character of John Conner is 13 years old in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Edward Furlong was 13 when the film was shot.
No, you are wrong. Edward Furlong was certainly 13 when the film was shot, but the character he was playing was supposed to be 10 years old. It even says so at the start when the T 1000 jumps into a police car and looks up John Connor's address on the computer - it says "Age - 10". He was supposed to be fucking 10, not 13.
:roll:

Randydeluxe
Filled With Aloha
About me: Ua mau ke ea o ka 'aina i ka pono.
Location: SoCal. Previously Honolulu, HI. Previously Vancouver, BC. Sometimes Austin, TX.

Post by Randydeluxe » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Arse wrote:No, you are wrong... He was supposed to be fucking 10, not 13. :roll:
I don't think you're taking this seriously enough. Have some cheese! :food:

Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:10 am

heyzeus wrote:
Animavore wrote:
heyzeus wrote:Mephistopheles, most of what you said is justifiable but I don't really think you can say that "every comedy-driven move every made" is overrated.
Actually he said every "comedian driven movie". I think what he means are those comedies which are there to showcase a comedian of one kind or other.
Films like Beverly Hills Cop or Good Luck Chuck.
Oh, well, same difference. It's still not justifiable for the same reason. You can't really claim that every comedian-driven movie is held in high regard by any particular group. Maybe vacuous stoners or something.
I was making a point that a great majority of movies made nowadays are overrated in some respect.

In the case of comedian-driven movies, there are very few, if any, movies featuring Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Steve Carrell, Jim Carrey, Rodney Dangerfield, Sacha Baron Cohen, Mike Meyers, etc. etc. etc. that have any more plot or artistic direction than the bare minimum needed to feed the masses their monthly dose of subpar actors doing stupid things. And don't tell me it's not overrated, because if it weren't then they wouldn't keep shoveling out the same shit year after year.

Which reminds me. Reality TV is also overrated.

MissingNo.
Cheese is christ

Post by MissingNo. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:48 am

They keep making them because they can make money off them. And when you say overrated, by whom are they overrated? Are they overrated by the general public? Because those films are never brilliantly commercially successful...they usually get by on the first weekend before word of mouth about how awful they are gets out. They're certainly not overrated by critics. I think you'll find that many of the films you're talking about are universally panned. They're not popular among cinephiles or academics either.

MrFungus420

Post by MrFungus420 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:00 am

Godless Libertarian wrote:The Big Lebowski
Dude...don't dis The Dude...
P1: I am a nobody.
P2: Nobody is perfect.
C: Therefore, I am perfect

Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:31 am

heyzeus wrote:They keep making them because they can make money off them. And when you say overrated, by whom are they overrated? Are they overrated by the general public? Because those films are never brilliantly commercially successful...they usually get by on the first weekend before word of mouth about how awful they are gets out. They're certainly not overrated by critics. I think you'll find that many of the films you're talking about are universally panned. They're not popular among cinephiles or academics either.
Unfortunately, critics are in the minority. Doesn't stop shit like Bruno and Anchorman from getting far more positive PR from the masses than they deserve. Maybe I'm just a snob like most critics, but at least I can take some pride in having standards...I see little point in entertainment that isn't artistically appealing in some sense or another.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:38 am

Will Ferrell sucks balls. He has made stinker after stinker and gets away with it. That gets on my tits.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

MissingNo.
Cheese is christ

Post by MissingNo. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:51 am

Mephistopheles wrote:
heyzeus wrote:They keep making them because they can make money off them. And when you say overrated, by whom are they overrated? Are they overrated by the general public? Because those films are never brilliantly commercially successful...they usually get by on the first weekend before word of mouth about how awful they are gets out. They're certainly not overrated by critics. I think you'll find that many of the films you're talking about are universally panned. They're not popular among cinephiles or academics either.
Unfortunately, critics are in the minority. Doesn't stop shit like Bruno and Anchorman from getting far more positive PR from the masses than they deserve. Maybe I'm just a snob like most critics, but at least I can take some pride in having standards...I see little point in entertainment that isn't artistically appealing in some sense or another.
Well, there you go: Bruno and Anchorman are two films that are popular with the masses and ones that you could deem "overrated" in respect to the general population. But you can't say comedian-driven movies are overrated. There's no group of people who collectively proclaim that comedian-driven movies are generally great.

Reverend Blair
About me: If I had my way I'd buy a few acres of land and an old tractor. I'd drive the old tractor around the land and passers-by would stop to ask me what kind of crop I was farming. "Crop?" I'd say, "Crops are work, I'm planting ideas."

Post by Reverend Blair » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Bored of the fucking Rings. The book sucked and both movies sucked. Jesus, Tolkien could have used an editor to cut about half the crap out of the book, and whoever did the screenplay could have used an editor to cut half of the remaining crap out. You could condense both movies down to a one hour afternoon special and not lose a damned thing.

Kaison

Post by Kaison » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Been wanting to see this one for some time now. Just watched it recently and, meh. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be. :dono:
"Oooh, good, saffron! I wanted to buy a Diet Coke and the vending machine doesn't take nutmeg."

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:25 pm

Kaison wrote:Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Been wanting to see this one for some time now. Just watched it recently and, meh. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be. :dono:
:shock:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

nellikin
Dirt(y) girl
About me: KSC

Post by nellikin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 pm

Brazil. Terry Gilliam must be wacko.

Anything by David Lynch.
To ignore the absence of evidence is the base of true faith.
-Gore Vidal

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:41 pm

nellikin wrote:Brazil. Terry Gilliam must be wacko.

Anything by David Lynch.
I love Brazil, and most if not all Terry Gilliam films. Could never get into Lynch, though.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:32 am

David Lynch is a completely original genius. Nothing he has ever made can be rated highly enough IMO. It says something that his worst film is probably Dune, but even that worked in its own way, and it was never highly rated in the first place.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

MissingNo.
Cheese is christ

Post by MissingNo. » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:41 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:David Lynch is a completely original genius. Nothing he has ever made can be rated highly enough IMO. It says something that his worst film is probably Dune, but even that worked in its own way, and it was never highly rated in the first place.
I agree. I used to think Lynch was taking the piss to large extent until I saw Inland Empire. Now I can't get enough of him. I'd say that Twin Peaks is the worst thing that he's done but it's difficult to say he was the author of that series and his contributions constituted the only good qualities of the series anyway.