The new Star Trek

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: The new Star Trek

Post by Animavore » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:13 pm

I meant "shitty" above. :nono:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 pm

I quite liked the new Klingons and their style.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Pappa wrote:I quite liked the new Klingons and their style.
I liked the fact that they seem to be fleshing their culture and characters out. Not the costumes/makeup. There's to much to act through.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:49 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Huh, really? I must have missed that bit from Enterprise. I liked Enterprise, too. Especially Jolene Blalock. At first I didn't think the captain - the guy from Quantum Leap - was a good choice for captain, but he turned out o.k.

I would have thought an easier explanation for the clits would have been that they were humaniform originally, but that some disease or genetic modification caused them to to grow boney structures and whatnot. But, the more complicated explanation about stealing GMO tech from the humans, modifying their entire species to be more humanish, and then reverting back over time is cool too. It feels more politically correct that way, too. Wouldn't want to "normalize" humaniform bodies as the default form, and render Klingon's a race of mutants. Better that they were always butt-ugly, and the mutation was becoming human, which went back to "normal" some generations later.

Well, the problem is that we now have Discovery located between "Enterprise" and Kirk. So, the Klingons should actually still look human!
Well, here's the timeline described. Not sure it all checks out, though.... http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klin ... ment_virus
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Scott1328 wrote:The klingons in this time period had human appearance. The show sucked.
I thought it was brilliant - very Battlestar Galactica-y.

It's promising in that I think it will be less sanctimonious than the mid years Treks and the new Klingons are awesome. Tjey make Worf look like a soft bloke with a vaginal Mars bar glued to his head.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Watched the first one. See what you mean about the Klingons being dressed like Bruegel princes.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 am

Watched episode three last night. No spoilers here, but I really liked it. They are going for drama - someone obviously noticed that TV drama has moved on a lot over the last 20 years. Also they are doing some darker stuff - and going for a long plotline.

Different but personally I liked it. Feels like they are hitting their stride.

Still hate that damned music - generic adventure music.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Is there sex?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:12 pm

I find the ideologically driven, blood thirsty adversary thing a little, you know, tiresome. Predictable. Heavy-handed. Star Trek has always taken a rather more positive view of the future, but in this the future is just as shit as the present, just with more flashing lights and EPIC underscoring.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:14 pm

I just wish there was some way to watch this other than paying for a subscription that I don't want. I'm not signing up for a monthly subscription to CBS.

Anyway, I was half expecting Star Trek to enter an age of genderlessness - you'd think by then, they'd have gotten rid of the patriarchal social construct of "male" and "female" and gone into the "gender spectrum - no relation between sex and gender" bit. Maybe they'll have an episode where the three-sex species, the Vissians, have males identifying as cogenitors, cogenitors identifying as female, and females identifying as males, and all requiring a flurry of nee pronouns.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:18 pm

It'll be out on DVD by Xmas 42. If you've been a good boy your could ask Santa. ;)

Frank Zappa

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm

As long as they aren't gày or femenist or wearing a burka I'll probably watch.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Forty Two wrote:I just wish there was some way to watch this other than paying for a subscription that I don't want. I'm not signing up for a monthly subscription to CBS.

Anyway, I was half expecting Star Trek to enter an age of genderlessness - you'd think by then, they'd have gotten rid of the patriarchal social construct of "male" and "female" and gone into the "gender spectrum - no relation between sex and gender" bit. Maybe they'll have an episode where the three-sex species, the Vissians, have males identifying as cogenitors, cogenitors identifying as female, and females identifying as males, and all requiring a flurry of nee pronouns.
It's on Netflix here. I did a quick google and you can get a short term deal with them for $5.65 (it said).

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:22 am

It's in danger of going down the US military versus the universe road.

normal
!
!
About me: meh

Post by normal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 am

devogue wrote:
Scott1328 wrote:The klingons in this time period had human appearance. The show sucked.
I thought it was brilliant - very Battlestar Galactica-y.

It's promising in that I think it will be less sanctimonious than the mid years Treks and the new Klingons are awesome. Tjey make Worf look like a soft bloke with a vaginal Mars bar glued to his head.
I could really go for a vaginal Mars bar right now :food:
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   -Douglas Adams