Dunkirk: History is racist!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Dunkirk: History is racist!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:34 am

If you make a film about an event it must be accurate. Dont you agree. It does not stop it from being a good film in itself.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 am

This guy who was at Dunkirk had no problem with it.

https://9gag.com/gag/anjbG05

I didn't think it was existentially possible, but you're beating a dead horse to death.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:49 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:If you make a film about an event it must be accurate. Dont you agree. It does not stop it from being a good film in itself.
Sure, but to what degree and what extent?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:56 am

Animavore wrote:This guy who was at Dunkirk had no problem with it.

https://9gag.com/gag/anjbG05

I didn't think it was existentially possible, but you're beating a dead horse to death.
No I am not. You are pushing that this film is accurate.

What ‘Dunkirk’ gets wrong – according to a World War Two historian

He is an historian not a film critic.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:02 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:A film can be good but a film like Dunkirk has to be accurate which it not.
No. You're not getting the last word in.

You're wrong.
It is not accurate. It is just a film of no worth.
Accuracy doesn't define worth. Man you come out with some stupid shit.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:A film can be good but a film like Dunkirk has to be accurate which it not.

You're wrong.
If the film were meant to be a documentary or a re-enactment of a historical event, I'd agree with you. Christopher Nolan did not set out do produce either. He told Simon Mayo that he wanted to create a suspense-driven story based on people confronted by a physical dilemma (surrender or be annihilated) and how they dealt with it. You need to base your judgement of the film's worth on that instead of your idée fixe concerning what a film about Dunkirk ought to look like in terms of style, content and structure.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:05 am

It is just a film and if it gets an Oscar well good luck to it. I will just watch the documentary.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:07 am

You do that.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:05 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:It is just a film and if it gets an Oscar well good luck to it. I will just watch the documentary.

..documentaries are always written by the winners though so there goes yer objective truth innit?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:35 am

And if the film were going to be totally accurate is would be 10 days long and have a cast of 350,000!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:43 am

Brian Peacock wrote:And if the film were going to be totally accurate is would be 10 days long and have a cast of 350,000!
A cast of genetic clones taken from the exhumed corpses of the actual people involved.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:54 am

Rum wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:It is just a film and if it gets an Oscar well good luck to it. I will just watch the documentary.

..documentaries are always written by the winners though so there goes yer objective truth innit?
Did Britain win at Dunkirk? Did not think they did.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Since we know that the 1930s and 40s were orders of magnitude more patriarchal, homophobic, transphobic, sexist and racist than the world is today, it is obvious that the reason that there were fewer women, gays, trans, people of color, etc., at Dunkirk is because of the "glass ceiling" that prevented them from serving in the British and French militaries at the time, except in largely limited roles at best. So, the reason there were so few non CIS non-white non-male characters is because of sexism, racism, phobia, etc. As such, the movie should not have been made, and instead, a movie about non-western military events should have been made in its stead. It's just a testament to the continued bias in media and Hollywood, that we have yet another movie about western military issues.

The question shouldn't be "why are there so few women stabbing Krauts with bayonets, and so few transsexual Africans in leadership roles?" The question is, "why are we so many films being made about white/cis/male historical events, and so few about the historical contributions of marginalized peoples?" It's oppression through and through!
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:55 pm

See above. 2/3 of the French soldiers in France at the time were actually Non-Europeans...

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:

You're wrong.
Scot Dutchy's ability to hold forth on things he hasn't actually seen really is second to none.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater