Childhoods End

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Childhoods End

Post by Rum » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:39 pm

One of the first SF stories I read and written by one of my first favourite SF writers when I was about 12 and got into SF big time - Arthur C. Clarke.

Sky have a television mini-series based on the novel. It isn't at all bad. Part 2 on tonight but of course available elsewhere.

Recommended as a bit of a novelty.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Childhoods End

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:50 pm

I might have to dig that out. I too read the book in my teenage years - a period when I tore through the SF section of the local public library.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scott1328

Post by Scott1328 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:38 pm

Rum wrote:One of the first SF stories I read and written by one of my first favourite SF writers when I was about 12 and got into SF big time - Arthur C. Clarke.

Sky have a television mini-series based on the novel. It isn't at all bad. Part 2 on tonight but of course available elsewhere.

Recommended as a bit of a novelty.
If that's the miniseries that the SyFy channel broadcast in the US in December, then prepare to be disappointed

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:17 pm

I am. God has appeared in the story. Episode #2 went downhill fast. Don't bother people - miles away from the original.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:34 pm

It bloody dragged.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:42 am

It brings an interesting point, of course. If a vastly more technologically advanced alien species arrived on Earth, and were serious and high-minded, not interested in conquest but horrified by our wars and environmental destruction, how easy would it be for them to put us on the straight and narrow?

I like the idea that they are left-leaning atheists, who zap all the world's churches with district rays! :{D
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!