Ghostbusters (MRAs not gonna like this)

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Ghostbusters (MRAs not gonna like this)

Post by Forty Two » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:05 pm

Animavore wrote:I did notice the stereotype black woman straight away and predicted that there would be complaints. I looked at the news this morning and I was right.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... orker.html
A comedy movie making use of stereotypes? How has this happened?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:17 pm

I haven't watched the trailers or followed the developments.

There is nothing wrong with a reboot involving a female cast.

I am intrigued that Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Ernie Hudson, and Annie Potts are making cameo appearances in the new film. Depending on how much screen time they get, that may add some fun aspects to the movie.

After some clicking around, I think the objections to the movie come from the reboot not being true to the original. It's not so much that people are objecting to a movie with a mostly female lead cast, but rather that they are taking a story that we already know and that is already established and making a statement by changing it to a female cast. I don't think that's an unreasonable objection.

It's just a movie, and if the makers and financiers felt it was worth the risk and they think they can make money on it, then good on them. Make one with all disabled and gay. Doesn't really matter.

But, people get all bunged up about this stuff -- it's like when a character in a play is black, and a white actor plays him, or vice versa. Always someone is outraged and believes that such and such character has to be the color the playwrite or screenwriter envisioned. This is art. And, it's a kind of art that has many contributors.

When they rebooted the Manchurian Candidate, Denzel washington played the lead, when it was a white guy, Sinatra, who played in the original. Problem? I can't possibly see one, conceptually.

Whether the reboots are good or bad is another matter. I'm sure, of course, the nuts on both sides will be out in force. Just as there are MRAs railing against this film , apparently, for changing the sex of the lead characters, there will be FRA's who declare that anyone who doesn't find it just as funny as the original is a sexist who thinks women aren't funny.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Not simply for changing sex, but for supposedly beating us over the head with a feminist message, being PC, and being SJW.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 pm

tattuchu wrote:I don't have a problem with a female Ghostbusters team. My problem is that I don't see a need for a sequel.
I agree. Ghostbusters 2 was terrible.
And of course, based on this preview, that the film looks extraordinarily unfunny. If the selective editing employed in making a trailer can't even make the film look good then I think it's safe to say we're in for a shite film. Shame. I like Melissa McCarthy.
Oh, and the dumb nigger character is astonishing and sad.
[/quote]
I'd say based off the movie, Spy, made by the same team, this could be funnier than you think.
Not that the original was riotously funny mind you.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Didn't know Spy was made by the same team. I actually put that on hold with my local library earlier today after coming across it when checking Melissa McCarthy's filmography. Had never heard of it but it looks like it might be enjoyable.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Spy is a really great movie. The Ghostbusters trailer above didn't really have anything. Maybe the movie itself is better.