Movies of the good kind we have looked upon.

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: Movies of the good kind we have looked upon.

Post by macdoc » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:20 am

Nothing wrong with Mortal Engines. Was surprised anyone one would tackle it tho.
The book was much fun and Peter Jackson did a credible job bringing the cities to life.
Maybe difficult for those not having read the book.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:35 am

Could you envisage a film based on the Malazon books, mac?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:10 am

No ...but a multi-season series might cut it.

Chain of Dogs would occupy one season. Heart breaking

Icarium. And his protector, Mappo Runt wanders throughout with dire consequences that Icarium cannot remember and Mappo protects him from doing so. Think ultimate berserker who can lay an entire city to waste and recalls nothing of what he has done.

The ongoing thread in all the books is The Bridge Burners and certainly their exploits would be cinematic and hilarious dark humour

In theory yeah ...in practice ...the scale is so immense

Lots of visuals to mine
https://malazan.fandom.com/wiki/Dhenrabi
Wizards, warlocks and witches, floating moons full of Tiste Andii whose leader wears a sword that captures all he defeats ( he can veer into dragon form )

Just one race of four
The Jaghut were taller and broader than humans, with tusked lower jaws. Their skin was grey-green and hair was generally grey. Their fingers were longer and possessed more joints than a human finger.[10] As confirmed in The Bonehunters, the Jaghut possessed two hearts, and possibly duplicates of other organs, in a manner similar to that of the Thelomen Toblakai. The Jaghut were extremely long-lived (essentially immortal in the sense that they would not die except through violence or accident), and capable of inter-breeding with humans and Thelomen Toblakai. Whether the offspring were viable was unknown. They were adapted to living in a cold climate, and generally preferred an Arctic environment.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:30 am

I would love to see a series based on The Black Company books by Glen Cook...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:51 am

Hmmm - new to me but sounds intriguing.
Very similar feel to Malazan Book of the Dead ( the complete series ).

Have you read Rothfuss...King Killer Chronicles ?

One on THE best fantasy series ever that now goes unfinished after earning movie and TV series options and immense worldwide aclaim for the first two books ......the nothing....a decade later. :cry:

Great story, superb setting- so vivid Kvothe one of the best heroes ever...the Rothfuss just stalled out...promises, teases - the third book is even listed on Amazon...

He certainly ranks up there with George RR Martin and even Tolkien...both his heroes...but he can't finish.
Even a little intermediate novella is a marvel.
What's the status of The Doors of Stone, the closing book in Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy? Short answer: Yes, it's coming, but don't expect it anytime soon.
28 Feb 2024
:banghead: :banghead:

Still the first two are worth the read ...join the howls of outrage at the decade delay.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:37 pm

Ah The English Patient ...catharsis write large.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:15 pm

3 Body Problem ....real world murder
A decade on, Lin would have been a step closer to achieving his dream when a Netflix adaptation of the Hugo Award-winning book drew millions of viewers worldwide – but the billionaire who helped make the show happen never lived to see it.

Lin, who was named as an executive producer in the opening credits of “3 Body Problem,” was poisoned and killed at age 39, according to Chinese authorities, months after Netflix announced its plans to produce the series in 2020.

The culprit was one of Lin’s own executives, a high-flying lawyer who helped Lin’s Yoozoo Games secure the rights to adapt the highly acclaimed trilogy.

After falling out with his boss, Xu Yao gifted Lin a bottle of what he said were probiotic pills, but which contained a cocktail of lethal toxins he bought off the dark web.
more
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/03/chin ... index.html

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:40 am

Apparently the Chinese aren't happy with how it portrayed the cultural revolution.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:11 am

The show did rather skimp on that - though there's acres in the book. It also didn't give enough weight to the influence of Silent Spring on the motivation of the 'bad guy' humans. But hey, it's an adaptation of some pretty fat books, not a full realisation.

I reckon someone coming to the books via the show isn't going to feel that the show had that many spoilers.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT