Colbert WINS!!!!!!!!!!!

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Colbert WINS!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:40 pm

Originally posted by grover
[headline]Colbert Study: Conservatives Don't Know He's Joking[/headline]
www.huffingtonpost.com
[exnews]Last week, Stephen Colbert revisited a segment he had done on Florida Representative Bill Posey, who sponsored a bill that "would require future presidential candidates to provide a copy of their original birth certificate," in order to put insane rumors of President Barack Obama's birthplace to bed.

Colbert thought a similar measure should be taken to end the whisperings that Posey was a human-alligator hybrid. Posey, in response to Colbert, said, "I expected there would be some civil debate about it, but it wasn't civil...There is no reason to say that I'm the illegitimate grandson of an alligator." And one wondered, "Does Posey not realize that Colbert is not speaking in earnest? His reaction seems uniquely stupid!"

Stupid, yes. But apparently it's not unique at all, according to a study from The Ohio State University, which proves, with math and stuff, that lots of conservatives seem to not understand the intrinsic, underlying joke of The Colbert Report: [/exnews](visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hij.sagepub.com

[edit on 28-4-2009 by grover]
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Re: Colbert WINS!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Ayaan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Eh, they don't get it because it's too far above their heads. :coffee:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Ayaan wrote:Eh, they don't get it because it's too far above their heads. :coffee:
And it would hardly require advanced rocketry to achieve that, now would it? ;)
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Post by Ayaan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:55 pm

FBM wrote:
Ayaan wrote:Eh, they don't get it because it's too far above their heads. :coffee:
And it would hardly require advanced rocketry to achieve that, now would it? ;)
Hardly. :lol:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley

Feck

Post by Feck » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Just how do I comment on that without saying that a americans don't get irony (looked it up in the readers digest dictionary ,they missed the point as well) or b all Republicans are smug nonthinking idiots.

These stereotypes are wrong aren't they ?
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels

Post by Ayaan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:58 pm

mrenutt4 wrote:Just how do I comment on that without saying that a americans don't get irony (looked it up in the readers digest dictionary ,they missed the point as well) or b all Republicans are smug nonthinking idiots.

There are a few Americans who have a clue. We are just outnumbered by the ones who don't. You'll get no argument from be about Republicans. :nono:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Ayaan wrote:
mrenutt4 wrote:Just how do I comment on that without saying that a americans don't get irony (looked it up in the readers digest dictionary ,they missed the point as well) or b all Republicans are smug nonthinking idiots.

There are a few Americans who have a clue. We are just outnumbered by the ones who don't. You'll get no argument from be about Republicans. :nono:
I would comment as well, but I have a mountain of irony to do over at ATS.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Ayaan wrote:

Dimwits do tend to be the targets of the most popular stereotypes, but that said, I'm sometimes dumbfounded at the cranial density of some of my compatriots. This news story is one example. :doh:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:06 pm

FBM wrote:Dimwits do tend to be the targets of the most popular stereotypes, but that said, I'm sometimes dumbfounded at the cranial density of some of my compatriots. This news story is one example. :doh:
Stephen almost never breaks character, so the true believers can swallow his schtick without too much effort.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
FBM wrote:Dimwits do tend to be the targets of the most popular stereotypes, but that said, I'm sometimes dumbfounded at the cranial density of some of my compatriots. This news story is one example. :doh:
Stephen almost never breaks character, so the true believers can swallow his schtick without too much effort.
Agreed, but it doesn't take a Ph.D in rocket surgery to figure him out, either, does it?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:10 pm

FBM wrote:Agreed, but it doesn't take a Ph.D in rocket surgery to figure him out, either, does it?
Repugnicans are chronically over the top, so he sounds reasonable to them. It's working like a charm.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:13 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
FBM wrote:Agreed, but it doesn't take a Ph.D in rocket surgery to figure him out, either, does it?
Repugnicans are chronically over the top, so he sounds reasonable to them. It's working like a charm.
Can't argue with that... :cheers: