Yet more misogyny in the entertainment industry!?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Yet more misogyny in the entertainment industry!?

Post by Rum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Just watch a trailer on Youtube for the Last Jedi and it occurred to me that there was no voice over/narrator, which is how they do it sometimes of course. then it occurred to me that when there is it is always (I can't think of a single exception) a male voice.

Compensation and public humiliation commence!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Yet more misogyny in the entertainment industry!?

Post by Animavore » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 pm

I think it's just because women, generally, can't hit the right pitch when saying, "In a World..."
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Joe

Re: Yet more misogyny in the entertainment industry!?

Post by Joe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:49 pm

I'd never realized it until you mentioned it, but is that ever true. So true, the New York Times noticed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/movie ... women.html
In the past few years, as audiences have grown more sophisticated, the independent production companies that make trailers for Hollywood studios have begun moving away from voice-overs, favoring graphic devices like title cards to serve as narration. “As much as possible people are trying to let the movie speak for itself, without being as heavy handed as the ‘voice of God’ narrator feels,” said John Long of Buddha Jones Trailers, which was responsible for campaigns for “Kung Fu Panda 2” and “Inglourious Basterds,” among others.

Still, plenty of voice-over jobs remain, especially in television, though women are seldom cast. “There are some very talented, very gifted women in this business that can satisfy any request for a narrator, but the opportunities aren’t given to them,” said Mike Soliday, a talent agent who represents prominent male voice artists like Scott Rummell and Tony Rodgers.

As Mr. Danis put it, “Trailers are really the last frontier for women.”

Mr. Long noted that his company had worked on dozens of campaigns a year, “and as much as everyone talks about wanting to be innovative and do unexpected things, the idea of a female voice doesn’t come up that often,” he said. “It’s really not part of the formula. Maybe that’s our own shortsightedness.”
Right under my nose. My wife is naturally amused. :oops:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake