I er uh hi.

New? Introduce yourself here.
Gord

Re: I er uh hi.

Post by Gord » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:31 am

I can't use the same password anymore. When I first started posting in the innernets, forums would allow simple passwords, so my first one was all lower-case letters. Then forums made me use capital letters or numbers, too. Eventually some forums made me use capital letters, lower-case letters, AND numbers! That means I went from having one password to having three passwords.

And then some forums wouldn't let me log in, telling me I wasn't giving them the correct password (even though I bloody well was). They emailed me a new temporary password, and I logged in; then I tried to change my password back to what it used to be, and those forums told me I couldn't reuse old passwords.

Now I have EIGHT "standard" passwords, plus a few sites where I just couldn't cope with the nonsense anymore and left the temporary randomised passwords in place.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:38 am

Yeah, it's fucking annoying. It's acceptable to require that sort of variety at sites that have a security risk, but not a fucking forum or any other site that doesn't involve money or sensitive personal information.

I can feel I'm on the verge of an internet rant, and there's nothing these days that gets me more fucking ragged up than an internet rant. Just as an example (and I won't comment on it any more, or I'll burst a blood vessel) was trying to send a full size video of my kids from my ex's iPhone to any of my devices or services. 48 hours later, despite the concept being one of the most simple and potentially widespread uses of the internet, it still couldn't be done by any of the means available including the various cloud services that we each had. It's like the fucking tides. You can't explain that sort of shit. It should just happen, without any more thought.

I'm going for a lie down.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:35 am

Try this. It's a prayer to St. Isidore of Seville, patron saint of the internet.

Almighty and eternal God,
who created us in Thy image and bade us to seek after all that is good,
true and beautiful,
especially in the divine person of Thy only-begotten Son,
our Lord Jesus Christ,
grant we beseech Thee that,
through the intercession of Saint Isidore,
bishop and doctor,
during our journeys through the internet we will direct our hands and eyes only to that which is pleasing to Thee
and treat with charity and patience all those souls whom we encounter.
Through Christ our Lord.
Amen

If that doesn't work try turning if off and on again.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:30 am

I should be in charge of the internet. No shit. Stuff would just work. The internet is so full of corporate fuckery over usability. Down with the corporations!

(there you go, I managed to combine my two greatest rant inducing topics into one!)

Now I'm going for another lie down.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:37 am

pErvinalia wrote:Just don't use the same password you use for your email that you registered with. Not that I worry about our admins, but in general you don't know what an admin might do with your email and password.
Rachel can do whatever she likes with anything of mine... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:54 am

:lol:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:19 am

Launch out into the bizarre world of Rationalia threads, Gord! You have nothing to lose but your mind!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Gord

Post by Gord » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 pm

I got lost again, and I'm back again!

This time, I went to a distant city and tried to log into my email accounts. That triggered them. They all locked up and starting sending each other verification codes, none of which I could get to because, y'know, they are all sent to locked-up email addresses!

Anywho, I fixed it. Sort of. I mean, I had four email addresses when I left, made three new ones so I could access the four old ones, and am permanently locked out of one them now because I don't have a phone.

Remember the olden days, when you needed a driver's license to rent a movie? Same thing these days -- you need a cell phone to have a hotmail account. Well, I've never had a drivers license or a cell phone, so I guess I'll never be able to rent a movie from Blockbuster or get into my old email account ever again.

...now I just have to go to all the websites I've joined and change the email address from THAT one to a DIFFERENT one. I found a German email site called GMX. I think that will be my new home.

Oh, and one thing I noticed: Hotmail and gmail gave the exact same message when I tried to log into my accounts. When did they merge into one supervillain?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:41 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Just don't use the same password you use for your email that you registered with. Not that I worry about our admins, but in general you don't know what an admin might do with your email and password.
The passwords are encrypted, we can change them but not see them...

Gord

Post by Gord » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:25 pm

If you can't see them then how do you know my password is "encrypted"?

Dang! Great! Now EVERYBODY knows! :x
#ANDAMOVIE

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 am

:lol:
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:42 am

rachelbean wrote:
The passwords are encrypted, we can change them but not see them...
well, you know mine, and I think I'm not changing it, I can remember it, and it's nice.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:11 pm

We roll em up and smoke em.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:35 pm

rachelbean wrote:
The passwords are encrypted,
Ah of course. I forgot about that.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:51 pm

But according to this security thingy in my browser they are sent plain text. :haironfuckingfire:

:hehe: