Hi, I'm Mick

New? Introduce yourself here.
Mick

Re: Hi, I'm Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:02 am

FBM wrote:Yep. I'm tired of it, too. I wouldn't even be in this discussion, but Mick was snarky to me when I tried to be welcoming to him, so fuck 'im. Play time. ;)
Play time? Heh. No. You're all talk. A heckler. Not a player. You will "play" vicariously through the efforts of people actually willing to do the work and study. You contribute nothing but noise.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:10 am

Still no evidence for your god, then? :tea:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:13 am

Mick wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:This is all nonsense anyway. There is no "finality of form" in the natural world. All forms are constantly changing.
Easy there, Heraclitus.

Why think as you do?

Edit: I somehow sent this as a PM first.
Why think that 'all forms are constantly changing'? Because it's demonstrably true.

Stop dodging questions. Explain what "finality of form" is supposed to be, and how it is relevant to anything.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:23 am

FBM wrote:Still no evidence for your god, then? :tea:
:roll: I posted a link to my argument.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:32 am

FBM wrote:
Seth wrote:You are free to present evidence for the non-existence of god here. So far you haven't even entered the game.
Read the thread. We've been over this. This is just more rhetorical dodge-ball. If you make the claim, it's up to you to provide evidence for it. :bored:
I made no claim, your side did. I did not say "God exists" or "God does not exist," your side did. I didn't say that all personal experiences with God are "All subjective codswallop, of course...", JimC did.

And therein lies my point. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Every attack your side makes on theistic claims consists of "I ain't seen no evidence...derp" and absolutely nothing else, as if the fact that you have not seen any evidence is indicative of anything other than your own ignorance and/or limited intellect and/or your exclusion from the group to whom physical and mental manifestations of God have been claimed to occur.

I reiterate the classic case of the Miracle of Fatima, wherein tens of thousands of people were present and witnessed the event, including secularists, and which despite several theories with respect to the origin or cause of the events are put off to "mass psychosis" and things like optical illusions, no one, and I mean no one, scientist or otherwise, has been able to disprove what tens of thousands of people claim to have personally seen and experienced.

That is evidence. It's credible evidence at that. There are various potential explanations for what was witnessed that lie entirely within the realm of science, and I've gone over them at length many times over the years. But there is universal disbelief among scientists and the event is scoffed at and ignored because, and only because scientists don't want to admit that they don't know everything and won't simply say the only thing any truly rational and logical person can say about God, which is "I don't know whether God exists or not."

If you Atheist religious types would just say those words, nobody would have anything to argue about. But your Atheist religious dogma prohibits anything other than blithe and mindless dismissal of any and all evidence which does or may exist and the routine Alinsky smearing of the characters of those who do believe or have claimed a personal experience.

Which makes you all the mindless zealots, not the theists.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:36 am

Mick wrote:
Mick, you do know that even if you posted everything you've ever written, and everything ever written by any philosopher or theologian throughout history these numbnut would simply ignore and dismiss all of it because they can't put it under a microscope and dissect it with a scalpel. They suffer from poverty of imagination in the extreme, so you and I are just poking them to watch them scream and throw poo at the glass in impotent fury at the idea that we won't bow down and worship THEIR god; the god of secularism.

They will never, ever present a reasoned and reasonable argument even if you post the most erudite and carefully logical defense of your thesis, they will just harangue you, insult you, dismiss you and ignore you because they don't have the wit to do more.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:54 am

As an agnostic I make no claim one way or another regarding the existence of any god, but until credible evidence turns up that one exists I lack a belief in its existence. That makes me functionally an atheist. Elsewhere in this forum I have given an example of the sort of evidence that would persuade me that a god exists, so I don't think furnishing credible evidence for the existence of a supernatural being is an impossible task. It just has not been forthcoming at this stage.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:14 am

Hermit wrote:As an agnostic I make no claim one way or another regarding the existence of any god, but until credible evidence turns up that one exists I lack a belief in its existence.
Now THAT is a rational response.

That makes me functionally an atheist. Elsewhere in this forum I have given an example of the sort of evidence that would persuade me that a god exists, so I don't think furnishing credible evidence for the existence of a supernatural being is an impossible task. It just has not been forthcoming at this stage.
And I agree with you.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:26 am

Seth wrote:
Hermit wrote:As an agnostic I make no claim one way or another regarding the existence of any god, but until credible evidence turns up that one exists I lack a belief in its existence.
That makes me functionally an atheist. Elsewhere in this forum I have given an example of the sort of evidence that would persuade me that a god exists, so I don't think furnishing credible evidence for the existence of a supernatural being is an impossible task. It just has not been forthcoming at this stage.
And I agree with you.
Seth agrees with something I said?

:hairfire:

:mrgreen:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:00 am

:o
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:50 am

Seth wrote:

And I agree with you.
Well, that agreement contradicts what you have said earlier in the thread:
Evidence has been presented to the scientific community for thousands of years now and it still not only flatly refuses to apply it's own methods and standards, it flatly rejects even the possibility that God exists by labeling anything it does not understand to be "supernatural" and therefore non-scientific.
That directly states that "evidence" has been presented, but has been rejected. Evidence that is convincing to an unbiased investigator has to be something other than an emotional appeal to faith...

The fact is, all claims to supernatural phenomena that have been subjected to careful investigation have been shown to be false. All of them...

I suppose there is always a technical possibility that real evidence of supernatural beings could one day emerge, but I'm not holding my breath...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:48 am

Mick wrote:
We've been over this. You're still dodging. Bring some evidence.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:53 am

Seth wrote:
FBM wrote:
Seth wrote:You are free to present evidence for the non-existence of god here. So far you haven't even entered the game.
Read the thread. We've been over this. This is just more rhetorical dodge-ball. If you make the claim, it's up to you to provide evidence for it. :bored:
I made no claim, your side did. I did not say "God exists" or "God does not exist," your side did...
I don't have or represent a side, I have my own ideas and arguments, and I don't claim to have absolute knowledge about whether or not god(s) exit. Mick does. If my mind were made up, I wouldn't be asking for evidence. Mick claims to have evidence for a god, he needs to bring it here so we can see it. If he's got something that unambiguous and conclusive, I'll be happy to agree that he has shown evidence for his god. If he brings something ambiguous, inconclusive, fallacious, etc, I'll have to explain how it is that it is so. But first we need to see this famous evidence that he keeps saying he has, but refusing to bring here.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:26 am

Mick wrote:
But we want your argument here, some of us just can't connect to RS.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:48 am

Seth wrote:
Animavore wrote:The only thing I'm wondering now is, "Where do I go from here?"

I've been a theist. I've been a deist. I've been a woo-ist. I've been a vague, wispy, trancendentalist. I've been an atheist...

I think I'm going to take up golf or find something else new and interesting.
Why don't you become a Tolerist™? It has the advantage of removing all the various labels that might cause disagreement with those of varying beliefs.

I know a guy who can ordain you.... :biggrin:
Says the guy sitting on the net disagreeing with people over belief :|

You couldn't make it up.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.