An old timer from OZ says G'day

New? Introduce yourself here.
Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Re: An old timer from OZ says G'day

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:35 am

Hmmm....he seems adequate but I still think we should put him to the machine.......
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:38 am

Clinton Huxley wrote:Hmmm....he seems adequate but I still think we should put him to the machine.......
He's an ex-Aussie soldier, who would have given you stuck-up pommy officers the finger with one hand, while mowing down a regiment of japs with the rifle in his other hand...

(well, he might not be quite old enough for WW2, but you get my drift...)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:43 am

JimC wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:Hmmm....he seems adequate but I still think we should put him to the machine.......
He's an ex-Aussie soldier, who would have given you stuck-up pommy officers the finger with one hand, while mowing down a regiment of japs with the rifle in his other hand...

But if he ain't in Debretts......

Skepticus
About me: Oh, what wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face? I sometimes hang awake at night, dreaming of being spat at in the face.

MY BITCOIN TIP JAR:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1BTC2PAYFNZNU1RpLQs5Jy8z5xdNJ2RyUU

Post by Skepticus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:44 am

Cormac wrote:Well, we'll just have to nuke your nether regions. Be stoic.
Stoic may not be my best quality, but I can be a big baby if it helps... nuke away. :cry:
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless that testimony be of such a knd, that it's
falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact which it endevours to establish. ~~~ David Hume

FOR MICRO-EVOLUTION THERE'S Image FOR EVERYTHING ELSE THERE'S Image

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Post by Ayaan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:51 am

Welcome Skepticus! I was Sciwoman at RDF. By the time the place imploded, I was an admin there.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:59 am

klr is another former administrator of RDF. I think almost all of the first couple of hundred members of this forum were RDF members before joining here.

Anyway, welcome, Skepticus.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Skepticus
About me: Oh, what wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face? I sometimes hang awake at night, dreaming of being spat at in the face.

MY BITCOIN TIP JAR:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Skepticus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:03 am

JimC wrote:

Not old enough for Nam actualy TF. And nah, I was never any gunho hero. I joined Sigs cause I love playing with radios and electronics, CB's, QSL/DXing and aspired to ham radio. I was the guy you went to to have exta channels put in your rig, or an unlocked clarifier to slide between chanels on SSB (Single Sideband).

But yeah, aussie soldiers (diggers) do have a fine rep for no bullshit in action. I might not like those pointy things that go bang, but i did learn well how to go fully tactical and come out of nowhere etc.. We learned RAYTEL (Radio Tellephone Communications Procedures) and I had a high security clearance to do a bivvy up at Watsonia barraks (a huge Signals instalation here in OZ). Also did lots of parading (gray coats on gray coats off). I liked Sigs 'cause I could do my duty, w/out necicarily seeing any front line action. Oh and army chicks are cool. :naughty:
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless that testimony be of such a knd, that it's
falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact which it endevours to establish. ~~~ David Hume

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 am

I was "Cormac" on RDF, surprisingly...
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 am

Cormac wrote:I was "Cormac" on RDF, surprisingly...
Cormac! Its been staring me in the face!

Skepticus

MY BITCOIN TIP JAR:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Skepticus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:22 am

Ayaan wrote:Welcome Skepticus! I was Sciwoman at RDF. By the time the place imploded, I was an admin there.
Hi Ayaan. :td: Ooooh, that would have been a tough time to be Admin from what I've heard. Unless... you wouldn't happen to be this Ayaan would you?
In which case, a rough time at an imploding forum, would seem like a sunday school picnic on a sunny day.
Anyhow, It's a beautiful name and it makes me think of beautiful heroic woman. :td:

Edit: Oh and BTW, I do remember the username Sciwoman. Nice to see some old names. ;)

Skepticus

MY BITCOIN TIP JAR:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Skepticus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:30 am

Hermit wrote:klr is another former administrator of RDF. I think almost all of the first couple of hundred members of this forum were RDF members before joining here.

Anyway, welcome, Skepticus.
:td: Cheers Hermit

Ayaan
Queen of the Infidels
About me: AKA: Sciwoman
Location: Married to Gawdzilla and living in Missouri. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Post by Ayaan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:37 am

No, I'm not that Ayaan. However, when looking for a different user name, she was my inspiration.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ♥ Robert A. Heinlein
“Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself; (I am large, I contain multitudes.)”-Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Leaves of Grass
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.~Ripley
The Internet: The Big Book of Everything ~ Gawdzilla Sama

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 am

Welcome.

I'm just up, its too early to be pithy, mean absurd or facetious. My apologies for such a curt greeting.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 am

Skepticus wrote:Hi there guys.
:yayay:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Skepticus

MY BITCOIN TIP JAR:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Skepticus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:08 am

Thinking Aloud wrote:
Skepticus wrote:Thanks. So, anybody know the whereabouts of ol matey OBC? How about Richard Prins? Who's left from the original RDF boards?
Well ... there was quite a lot of drama, in various waves.

This place, Rationalia, was born out of the destruction of the RDF Off Topic forum - when it was closed, OBC created a new forum called TAF (Thinking Aloud Forum - no relation), and the Off Topickers went there: eighteen months later, OBC also had a drama and banned everyone (I'm paraphrasing), so they jumped ship to here instead.

In the meantime, the rest of RDF continued, however a year or so later, the RDF forum was shut down completely in a drama that put all others to shame. A good number of RDF folks came here temporarily before creating their own post-RDF forum at Rational Skepticism. http://www.rationalskepticism.org

As to where individuals are ... can't help you, sorry! (Though I think I've seen RP's name on Facebook.)
Yeah.. I heard quite a lot about the dramas from an inside source. Even some stuff you haven't mentioned. Stuff I won't repeat 'cos I have never confirmed any of it and it may be incriminating to some... BUT :shock:

I did join up (im pretty sure it was) here, just prior to the 2010 Atheist convention in Melborne. OBC was here then. But there was no 'Skepticus' on the members list wheen I just re-registered... so.. :dunno:

Never met RD until the 2010 Atheist convention. By that time I was a little peeved about how the RDF forum had been er... decimated. :nono: None too happy with King Richard about then. That forum was like my baby. I never shoud have put it up for adoption. :( Nevermind, like a pheonix from the ashes a plethora of new communities has arisen (arose?)... albeit they do now seem a little fractured and hostile by comparison. I've used the attitudes to the recent PZ (Pooey Zoo) Meyers vs Shermer debacle, as a test bed for a better place to hang out. Ratz wins by a country mile IMHO.

BTW: You do seem familiar too TA. Were you 'Thinking Aloud' at RDF?