Not Just for Catholics

Holy Crap!
L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Not Just for Catholics

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:15 pm

While Catholic priests and their church have hogged the spotlight for abusing power in reprehensible ways and will no doubt be making appearances, other god-bothering hierarchies shouldn't be ignored. For instance these lily-white holier-than-thou folks with a less than spotless history...

'Recordings show how the LDS Church protects itself from child sex abuse claims'
Paul Rytting listened as a woman, voice quavering, told him her story.

When she was a child, she said, her father, a former bishop in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, had routinely slipped into bed with her while he was aroused.

It was March 2017 and Rytting offered his sympathies as 31-year-old Chelsea Goodrich spoke. A Utah attorney and head of the church’s Risk Management Division, Rytting had spent about 15 years protecting the Utah-based faith from costly claims, including sexual abuse lawsuits.

Rytting had flown into Hailey, Idaho, that morning from Salt Lake City to meet in person with Chelsea and her mother, Lorraine.

After a quick prayer, he introduced himself and said he was there “to look into” Chelsea’s “tragic and horrendous” story.

Chelsea and Lorraine had come to the meeting with one clear request: Would the church allow a lay Idaho bishop to testify at John Goodrich’s trial? Bishop Michael Miller, who accompanied Rytting to the meeting, had heard a spiritual confession from Chelsea’s father shortly before John Goodrich was arrested on charges of sexually abusing her.

While the details of his confession remain private, the church swiftly excommunicated Goodrich.

Audio recordings of the meetings over the next four months, obtained by The Associated Press, show how Rytting, despite expressing concern for what he called John’s “significant sexual transgression,” would employ the risk management playbook that has helped the church keep child sexual abuse cases secret. In particular, the church would discourage Miller from testifying, citing a law that exempts clergy from having to divulge information about child sex abuse that is gleaned in a confession. Without Miller’s testimony, prosecutors dropped the charges, telling Lorraine that her impending divorce and the years that had passed since Chelsea’s alleged abuse might prejudice jurors.

Rytting would also offer hundreds of thousands of dollars in exchange for a confidentiality agreement and a pledge by Chelsea and Lorraine to destroy their recordings of the meetings, which they had made at the recommendation of an attorney and with Rytting’s knowledge.

Today, John Goodrich, who did not respond to the AP’s questions, is a free man, practicing dentistry in Idaho.

Unbeknownst to Chelsea, who believed Rytting’s main responsibility was to aid victims, at about that time he was deeply involved in defending the church in a highly publicized West Virginia child sex abuse lawsuit. Several Latter-day Saint families had accused the church of allowing a Latter-day Saint sex abuser, Christopher Michael Jensen, to babysit for their children, whom he allegedly abused. Jensen was sentenced to serve 35 to 75 years in prison after he was found guilty of abusing two of the children.

As revealed by the AP last year, Rytting made sworn statements in that case — which were sealed by a judge and obtained by the AP — describing the management of the secretive church help line, a phone number set up by the church for bishops and other lay leaders to report instances of child sex abuse. Church officials say that they don’t keep any records of the reports to the help line.

Rytting also revealed the lengths to which the church goes to ensure confidentiality for Latter-day Saint perpetrators who make spiritual confessions.

“Disciplinary proceedings are subject to the highest confidentiality possible,” Rytting said in one affidavit. “If members had any concerns that their disciplinary files could be read by a secular judge or attorneys or be presented to a jury as evidence in a public trial, their willingness to confess and repent and for their souls to be saved would be seriously compromised.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Not Just for Catholics

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:42 pm

Jeez. That last paragraph.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:04 pm

Yeah, that's a very Catholic point of view.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:34 pm

The poison that is religion always helps male power structures, without exception...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:03 pm

Yeah, I look at who is most tolerant to the dissident opinions.

Catholics, bless their little red shoes, welcomed Hitchins to criticise their 'Mother Theresa'.

I have noted one or two that are a bit less tolerant of criticisms of their practices and figureheads.

At least I can say that Catholic officials banging youth is criminal sex assault on kids. Say that about other groups and you risk being 'Theo VanGogh'ed'. Not sure where the Mormon nutters fall on that, since I've not brought this up.

But I do make it a point to tell them that I have the gold tablets that Mr. Smith used to have. Also that I have the new revealed readings, and it says Mormons are directed by their gawd, to stop believing in ridiculous stories.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:19 am

:roll:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:40 pm

JimC wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:34 pm
The poison that is religion always helps male power structures, without exception...
I am saying nothing... :leave:
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:05 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:19 am
:roll:
I remember reading some of Durro's stories about his experiences working away from home. Some other religions have different ways of dealing with the problem. (they didn't seem to need the LDS system)
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.