Historic Jesus, was he really an apocalypse reacher?

Holy Crap!
Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Historic Jesus, was he really an apocalypse reacher?

Post by Svartalf » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:32 pm

So a recent post round here reminded me that Jesus, insofar as he may bave been a historical character, is thought to have been an apocalyptic preacher...

Now, I don't remember if that's really the image given in the gospels (I'm purposefully omitting the paulinian works and revelations)

I'm wondering if this apocalyptinc image was true to him, or was grafted on the character after his death by the likes of john... the same way as he was artificially identified as the expected Messiah, a title he never claimed. (referring to god as one's father is a claim to inspiration, but not a claim to being the Anointed Chosen ONe).

Do you folk have any convincing sources one way or the other? books and net links welcome.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

aufbahrung

Re: Historic Jesus, was he really an apocalypse reacher?

Post by aufbahrung » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:18 pm

Invention by committee. Wouldn't expect to square the circle on a character of invention story from antiquity.
WeAreAStableCountry

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:05 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:32 pm
So a recent post round here reminded me that Jesus, insofar as he may bave been a historical character, is thought to have been an apocalyptic preacher...

Now, I don't remember if that's really the image given in the gospels (I'm purposefully omitting the paulinian works and revelations)

I'm wondering if this apocalyptinc image was true to him, or was grafted on the character after his death by the likes of john... the same way as he was artificially identified as the expected Messiah, a title he never claimed. (referring to god as one's father is a claim to inspiration, but not a claim to being the Anointed Chosen ONe).

Do you folk have any convincing sources one way or the other? books and net links welcome.
Questions regarding the gospels' accuracy, authenticity and how their authors portrayed Jesus are pretty irrelevant. What matters is the cast the church authorities of most Christian denominations gave the lot of humanity by judicious cherry picking and spreading the chosen message from the pulpit and elsewhere. It was a dark one, consisting of most people being cast to hell and the impending, though usually not precisely dated apocalypse.

A sea change began almost imperceptibly and at a glacial pace during the renaissance, but gathered pace in the Age of Enlightenment. God and Jesus became seen as benevolent. Again, it was not so much a matter of what was written in the New Testament. That remained pretty much unchanged since the Codex Sinaiticus was inscribed on vellum sometime between 325 and 360 CE. What mattered was which verses were selected from it. I credit much of the change to increased scientific knowledge.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:58 am

I agree with Hermit. The many historicisations of Jesus have always been a retrofit; a post-hoc justifier for ecumenical priorities as countless and varied as the versions, and interpretations, of supposedly authorised scripture.

We all bear the weight of approaching our own inevitable end-time. The yearning for a great and impending cataclysm expressed down the ages is either a projection by the narcissistically inclined who cannot imagine a world continuing without them in it--the ending of their world must surely be the end of The World--or a psychological bulwark for those unable, for whatever reason, to draw meaning in their own existence from the everyday circumstances of their lives as regular members of regular society.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:41 pm

Of course he is a retrofit. Who has any idea what the git looked like. Is that thread still going? The one that got into "That Highland Play" by Shakespeare status.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".