Contrary to Catholic Teaching

Holy Crap!
L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Contrary to Catholic Teaching

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:45 am

In the Detestable God-Botherer Sweepstakes, the Catholic church is right up there with Islam and Prosperity Gospel, among others. It's a crowded field, but Catholicism brings a deep pedigree of serious loathsomeness and continues to be a genuine contender.

'Jesuit school in Worcester loses Catholic affiliation after flying BLM and Pride flags'
After a nearly 4 month long standoff with the Diocese of Worcester, the Nativity School has been told they can no longer identify as Catholic due to its continuous flying of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) and Pride flags.

Since January of 2021, the Jesuit school has flown both flags unbeknownst to the Diocese. The president of the religious school, Thomas McKenney, claims the flags were flown “to express support for making our communities more just and inclusive.” He points to the majority of the student body being persons of color as a contributing factor for putting the flags up, saying, they “simply state that all are welcome at Nativity.”

The Nativity School serves grades 5 through 8 and is the only tuition-free Catholic school in the Diocese of Worcester. The students are all boys from low income households. The school does not receive any funding from the Diocese.

In March of 2022, the Catholic Bishop of Worcester learned about the flags and told Nativity to remove them or lose the right to brand itself as a Catholic School.

In an open letter written in May, Bishop Robert McManus said, “these symbols (flags) embody specific agendas or ideologies (that) contradict Catholic social and moral teaching. It is my contention that the ‘Gay Pride’ flag represents support of gay marriage and actively living a LGBTQ+ lifestyle.”

Both the school and the Diocese have gone back and forth over the divisive issue since then, ultimately leading to an announcement on June 10 that the school is barred from identifying as a Catholic one.

“It is my sacred duty and inherent responsibility to determine when a school claiming to be ‘Catholic’ is acting in such a way that is contrary to the teachings of the Catholic Church,” Bishop McManus said. “Despite my insistence that the school administration remove these flags because of the confusion and the properly theological scandal that they do and can promote, they refuse to do so. This leaves me no other option but to take canonical action.”
This item is on the mild side, but I think the sanctimonious language used by the bishop in his public comments is gratifyingly repulsive. :lol: His public letter on the matter was more circumspect but expressed the same sentiment.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Contrary to Catholic Teaching

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:14 am

I'd just like to know if thie case went to Rome of if it's just bishop mc manus being an asshole...
Also, I wonder where the school gets its money if it's tuition free and not funded by the diocese.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:17 am

The flags are less offensive than a life-like effigy of a guy being murderer hanging on the wall.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:36 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:45 am
This item is on the mild side, but I think the sanctimonious language used by the bishop in his public comments is gratifyingly repulsive. :lol: His public letter on the matter was more circumspect but expressed the same sentiment.
How about a public letter on the bumming of choirboys, and how that fits into the Catholic Doctrine?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4