Feet of Clay

Holy Crap!
JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Feet of Clay

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:40 am

Cunt, it is clear from your posts in this thread and others that you have not taken our warning about malicious trolling seriously. As a consequence, you are now suspended for a period of one month.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:39 am

I was really looking forward to him discussing the Pareto Distribution with Brian. :doh:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:53 am

I wonder if he genuinely doesn't get that he trolls.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:53 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:53 am
I wonder if he genuinely doesn't get that he trolls.
He knows. Every time he returns from a suspension his snide sarcasm is almost turned to zero and he even engages in actual discussions, but before long he tests the limits of what he can get away with, gradually getting closer and eventually overstepping them.

In my opinion he ought to be suspended as soon as he exceeds those limits, and for shorter periods. Suspensions are not supposed to be punitive. They are supposed to act as aversion therapy. Short suspensions applied as soon as limits are exceeded work better than long ones after protracted periods in which he managed to derive satisfaction of getting away with trolling and the attention he was awarded for it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:18 am

I don't think he should be suspended at all. Just troll the cunt back.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:44 am

You can to Twitter for that kind of nonsense.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:13 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:44 am
Or Mindromp. Everyone who loves to troll flocks there simply because it is permitted.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:55 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Or Mindromp. Everyone who loves to troll flocks there simply because it is permitted.
I guess not many people love trolling. The place is dead.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:32 pm

Joe wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:55 pm
Hermit wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
I guess not many people love trolling. The place is dead.
Forum members still log on. Some of them even post. In the past 122 days (just over four months) Mindromp has grown by 69 posts. That works out at almost 0.57 posts per day. 54 for of them have been added by our member from Yellowknife (27) and his offsiders Jerome (11) and MondoVman (17).

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:44 pm

So three members account for almost 80 percent of the activity for that time period. I remember checking out Mindromp out a couple of years ago. It seems like it was much more active at that time.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Apparently some people are actually able to walk out on toxicity, I wonder what that's like? :hehe:

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:26 pm

A relief. I left a forum that was amazing when I first joined, but went to hell from trolling over 8 or 9 years. One day I realized there were more flame wars than discussion, and that was it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:51 pm

Of course, posting here will slow down a bit. For some posters (not naming people such as Seabass), many of their posts involve shrieking at having calm, measured discussions with Cunt... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 am

It's like he's never heard of Talk Rational. He wouldn't get banned from there, but he'd get shredded much less politely than he does here.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:54 am

Anyway, back to the topic.

Dennett is the only one I've continued to read, but in a way he's the only one of the four equestrians of doom who moved on. I always enjoyed Hitchens, even though I disagreed with him on a fair bit, because his writing sparkled so. Harris' moral argument for literally nuking Muslim women and children exposed him as a man who had worked hard to dress his desires, passions, and lusts in the language of rationality and reason, and in so doing subsumed his sensibilities in righteousness - a classic expression of patriarchy. In that sense he has far more I'm common with Peterson than he'd be happy to acknowledge.

Dawkins was always a great science communicator, and The God Delusion arrived at a time when the zeitgeist was receptive to its message - and he's the reason why I'm here, so cheers Dickie. But as we know, he's also a suppurating rat's anus, and lately a bit of a TERF.

The other writer I encountered at that time and have continued with is A.C. Grayling, whose output is pretty prolific and diverse.

Similar to these big guns are people on the fringes like thunderf00t etc, whose rational and evidenced, and funny, dismantling of religious concepts and arguments on YouTube seemed so new and refreshing at the time. However, after Elevatorgate he turned his attention to dismantling the concepts and arguments of feminism to become the darling of the burgeoning MRA movement - and nows seems to have fully integrated the essential misogyny of the Abrahamic traditions which he once put so much effort into criticising. That kind of sneering dismissal is now a feature of content providers who seem overly focussed on downplaying racism, sexism, and social progressivism in general: "Look what these idiots are saying now lol!"

To some extent I don't think you'd have people like Sargon, Pool, and Shapiro, even Rogan, Molyneux, or Peterson, without the audience and cultural space the MRA movement created. By my lights, the so-called New Atheism of the late naughties is one of the progenitors of the alt-Right in as much as it gave people (mostly men and boys) a certain model of identity along with certain modes of communication. Unfortunately, this might make "Facts don't care about your feelings" a part of New Atheism's cultural legacy.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT