Prince Charles 2B Islams Constantine And The Wests Doom?

Holy Crap!
pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Prince Charles 2B Islams Constantine And The Wests Doom?

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 am

Svartalf wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:03 am
so hereditary peers are over? it's sad in a way.
No it's not.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:43 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 am
Hermit wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:36 am
The 26 Anglican Bishops sit there ex officio.
Fucken theocracy!
That's inaccurate too. Of the 40 diocesan and 72 suffragan Bishops only 26 are permitted ex officio as members of the House of Lords since some time in the 19th century. I think that arrangement won't last much longer either, especially if Corbyn knocks May off her perch at the next election. I sure hope he lives that long. The UK hasn't really had a Labour leader for decades.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:59 am

Svartalf wrote:
Go on. Tell us. In what way is it sad? Are you nostalgic about some feudal society you never experienced? Do you believe in hereditary superiority?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 am

cronus wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:44 am
Peers have a second say on any bill passed by the democratically elected house. What's totalitarian about that? :ask:
Forget the democratic bit. The House of Commons is not democratic. It is based on constituencies which means that automatically the votes are not equal. Throw into that gerrymandering and you have a very undemocratic mix. On top of which an unelected body has a say. Democratic! In your dreams.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 am

Hermit wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:59 am
Svartalf wrote:
Go on. Tell us. In what way is it sad? Are you nostalgic about some feudal society you never experienced? Do you believe in hereditary superiority?
I believe in tradition, and I don't believe that politically appointed peers will be any more competent than hereditary ones, but I'm pretty sure they'll have an agenda and will be less concenrned with the general good than wealthy aristocrats deciding to fill their political role rather than other pursuits.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:02 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 am
cronus wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:44 am
Peers have a second say on any bill passed by the democratically elected house. What's totalitarian about that? :ask:
Forget the democratic bit. The House of Commons is not democratic. It is based on constituencies which means that automatically the votes are not equal. Throw into that gerrymandering and you have a very undemocratic mix. On top of which an unelected body has a say. Democratic! In your dreams.
I'm interested in how the EU parliament works. Does each country get a set number of seats, or is there some other arrangement?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:03 am

Svartalf wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 am
Hermit wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
I believe in tradition, and I don't believe that politically appointed peers will be any more competent than hereditary ones, but I'm pretty sure they'll have an agenda and will be less concenrned with the general good than wealthy aristocrats deciding to fill their political role rather than other pursuits.
If they have an agenda you can vote them out. What can you do if a rich prick Lord has an agenda? :ask:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 am

I call him charlie and make fun of him.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:09 am

Here pErv:

Elections to the European Parliament

Everything is there.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:10 am

I'm too busy a bum to read stuff. Someone summarise it for me. :biggrin:

Basically, I'm wondering if the individual countries in the EU are like individual state in the US and Australia when it comes to the senate. If they are, then you aren't getting equal votes.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:15 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:10 am
I'm too busy a bum to read stuff. Someone summarise it for me. :biggrin:

Basically, I'm wondering if the individual countries in the EU are like individual state in the US and Australia when it comes to the senate. If they are, then you aren't getting equal votes.
Read it and find out. The system is much more complicated than that. It is developing every election as the Parliament is given more and more power. The Commission will finally be dissolved when the Parliament is given the last of its powers.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:29 am

A thing to remember; the EU is a project in progress. It is no where nearing completion which shows how short sighted the UK is.
It will develop further without it. The goal is a United States of Europe but not a copy of the USA but a completely new form of unification. It is still on track regardless that the UK tried to sabotage it. That is its strength.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:39 am

Svartalf wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 am
Hermit wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
It might be a good idea to distinguish between really horrible traditions and somewhat less horrible ones. To me it seems preferable that we can vote politicians with an agenda who lack any concern about the general good out of office rather than have to wait for them to fucking die already.

Edit: What pErv so succinctly said.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:43 am

well, I'm waiting for charlie to fucking die before his mum already, he'll make a horrid king.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:56 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:29 am
A thing to remember; the EU is a project in progress. It is no where nearing completion which shows how short sighted the UK is.
It will develop further without it. The goal is a United States of Europe but not a copy of the USA but a completely new form of unification. It is still on track regardless that the UK tried to sabotage it. That is its strength.
As you may remember I was a pretty ardent 'remainer', but now we are set for leaving I think we have to make the most of it. Not everything is rosy in the EU - far from it. The 'experiment' has after all resulted in a number of casualties on the way (Greece comes to mind).

The UK has always been pretty nimble on its feet and adaptable to change - that is one of IT's strengths.

I wish we weren't in this position to begin with but as we are I suspect we will make the best of it, unencumbered by some of the down sides that come with membership of the EU.