Deleting Facebook

Holy Crap!
cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Deleting Facebook

Post by cronus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Almost like leaving a religion, with enormous social clout.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this- ... 2018-03-23

This is why most people want to delete Facebook — it has nothing to do with privacy

If you’ve thought about deleting your Facebook account, chances are it’s completely unrelated to concerns about privacy settings and how your personal data is used.

So what is the primary motivation for most Facebook FB, -3.34% users when they think about abandoning the social networking platform? The answer is simple: Happiness.

Google GOOG, -2.62% searches for the phrase “delete Facebook” were 97% correlated with searches for phrases such as “being happy” and “quotes about being happy,” according to research from Datatrek Research, a market insights firm. While more users are Googling queries related to happiness, people are also researching how to delete their Facebook accounts.

That link holds true for the past 14 years that Facebook has existed — and while it doesn’t prove that concerns about mental health are causing users to flee, it suggests a strong relationship between the two. “Deleting Facebook doesn’t necessarily make you happy or unhappy, but people who are searching for happiness also entertain the notion of coming off of social media as a part of that progress,” said Nicholas Colas, co-founder of Datatrek.

(continued)
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Deleting Facebook

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Sometimes I'd like to get of the whole internet. But not sure I could survive without it any more.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:56 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Sometimes I'd like to get of the whole internet. But not sure I could survive without it any more.
Elon Musk made my decision for me. Someone with that much skin in the tech game jumps ship then it's best to follow the smart money. A year from now the world will be a different place?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Ridiculous. It is like someone dumping their phone because a minority of people use theirs obsessively. I use FB to stay in touch with family and friends - maybe 20 minutes a day if that. It doesn't bring me happiness or misery, just a handy way to keep in touch. My guess is it has too many users to go down at this stage of the game but if it does people will use something similar.

Oh - I should add that is it great for local community communication too. I started a group for the discussion and opposition of a development on the edge of Carlisle about 5 weeks ago. It now has 205 members from a standing start.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Rum wrote:Ridiculous. It is like someone dumping their phone because a minority of people use theirs obsessively. I use FB to stay in touch with family and friends - maybe 20 minutes a day if that. It doesn't bring me happiness or misery, just a handy way to keep in touch. My guess is it has too many users to go down at this stage of the game but if it does people will use something similar.

Oh - I should add that is it great for local community communication too. I started a group for the discussion and opposition of a development on the edge of Carlisle about 5 weeks ago. It now has 205 members from a standing start.
Can well imagine the power buzz that gives you Rum. Have you considered that's how it is fro Trump also? Who cares about that though...? It's a convenience argument not a moral one. :read:

Managed before Facebook, will manage after. All it requires is some basic tech skills.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:59 pm

cronus wrote:
Rum wrote:Ridiculous. It is like someone dumping their phone because a minority of people use theirs obsessively. I use FB to stay in touch with family and friends - maybe 20 minutes a day if that. It doesn't bring me happiness or misery, just a handy way to keep in touch. My guess is it has too many users to go down at this stage of the game but if it does people will use something similar.

Can well imagine the power buzz that gives you Rum. Have you considered that's how it is fro Trump also? Who cares about that though...? It's a convenience argument not a moral one. :read:

Managed before Facebook, will manage after. All it requires is some basic tech skills.
What?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:54 pm

In terms of Facebook, Rum, you are one of the lucky ones, like someone who likes a drink but will never become an alcoholic... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:44 pm

JimC wrote:

In terms of Facebook, Rum, you are one of the lucky ones, like someone who likes a drink but will never become an alcoholic... ;)
Maybe so. I have 85 'friends' on FB. I know in person about half of them. Of the half I don't know in person about half of them hardly ever post. Some of the others are from Hong Kong, so I get an HK fix now and again. The rest are either family or friends from over the years who it is nice to hear about.

I know a couple of ex-members here who do seem to 'live' on FB I must admit. One of them (no names) has several hundred 'friends' and I suspect that person spends a great deal of time catering to her 'audience' in a rather compulsive way.

Anyway it isn't difficult to keep it in check and the way you want it to work.

Unlike gin and read wine!

devogue

Post by devogue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:02 pm

In August 2017 I decided I had had enough of Facebook and I realised the dopamine hits of likes and shares weren't working anymore but, crucially, I didn't feel it was worth increasing the dose. I stepped back and realised that my Facebook world consisted of:

283 friends

About 50 of them posted regularly

30 of that 50 posted about single issues, be it Trump, healing crystals or whatever.

Of the remaining 20 or so 15 posted pictures of children, selfies etc.

All 50 crossed over to sharing worthless shit

Four friends (two of whom were family) posted diary like stuff and genuinely interesting posts; they also happened (by coincidence) to be the ones who commented on my posts and kept up dialogue.

I always seemed to average about 18 likes per post, and a couple of comments (one of which was usually an emoji)

I realised it was a load of shite, deactivated my account and started a new one with just close family and those friends who really engaged - a total of 11 people. I now just post photos for them of life in NZ and the odd comment that I know will genuinely be of interest to them.

The end result is that I haven't missed the hundreds of friends I had before. I have had a couple of fantastic conversations by email with a couple of them but that's it.

I've found that my overall internet usage has plummeted drastically since doing this and I am reading much more, and that has been an absolute joy.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 pm

You have clearly won. I never (ever) count the number of 'likes' - though if I wanted loads all I have to do is snap one of my dogs and post that and bingo. I pruned down to my current 85 friends (still too many I think) from 125 a few months ago.

It can be a useful means of communicating with people one wishes to - period.

Edit: The two FB threads here have prompted me to prune my 'friends' list from 85 to 65. Feels a bit more personal now!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:03 am

@Dev, I did the same thing. I now have about 30 friends, virtually all of them I know in real life.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:39 am

Rum wrote:You have clearly won. I never (ever) count the number of 'likes' - though if I wanted loads all I have to do is snap one of my dogs and post that and bingo. I pruned down to my current 85 friends (still too many I think) from 125 a few months ago.

It can be a useful means of communicating with people one wishes to - period.

Edit: The two FB threads here have prompted me to prune my 'friends' list from 85 to 65. Feels a bit more personal now!
But you know how FB works. It is not just your friends but the friends of your friends. It is data.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:42 am

It's not, actually. You don't even use facebook. You shouldn't comment on things you don't understand.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:47 am

pErvinalia wrote:It's not, actually. You don't even use facebook. You shouldn't comment on things you don't understand.
Want a nonsense. You dont understand Dutch society.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:39 pm

WTF does dutch society have to do with how facebook works? :think: