Post by Rum » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Few indeed.

:hehe:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: 'Overwhelmingly non-religious'

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Ideology not only comforts people in distress, it provides a motive for blindly ignoring its own consequences.

Modern day ideology doesn't come much stronger than the one that convinces people that the banks are too big to fail, and therefore the should get their hands on massive handouts from the taxpayer.

That's real ideoligy. The other stuff is just wishful thinking, like buying a lottery ticket.

In other words, it's not the believing which is important, but what one believes.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Crumple wrote:Religion is a voodoo life support system for a society, the delusions that make life tenable and give folks with nothing to talk about something to talk about. It is the witch doctors hut, and his influence in the village. Things like facebook and twitter etc have made traditional religion less relevant, replacing the old delusions with new and essentially copying all the functions of religion from artificial community to being a cash cow for the IT priesthood well vetted in the sacred HTML, but these new social media have not been tested in deep historic time and we are one solar flare or stock market meltdown from a return to the old ways...that worked exactly the same, though few see it all for the circus it is. :coffee:
I don't think facebook and twitter are comparable to religious faith. For one thing, the latter is essentially about the pie in the sky when you die. Social media are essentially about frittering the time away here on earth.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:41 am

Hermit wrote:
Crumple wrote:Religion is a voodoo life support system for a society, the delusions that make life tenable and give folks with nothing to talk about something to talk about. It is the witch doctors hut, and his influence in the village. Things like facebook and twitter etc have made traditional religion less relevant, replacing the old delusions with new and essentially copying all the functions of religion from artificial community to being a cash cow for the IT priesthood well vetted in the sacred HTML, but these new social media have not been tested in deep historic time and we are one solar flare or stock market meltdown from a return to the old ways...that worked exactly the same, though few see it all for the circus it is. :coffee:
I don't think facebook and twitter are comparable to religious faith. For one thing, the latter is essentially about the pie in the sky when you die. Social media are essentially about frittering the time away here on earth.
The world wide web is a jungle, but Facebook will keep you safe from all that immorality by watching over you and your neighbours watching over you too and their neighbours. It's medieval if you think about it. :coffee:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:56 am

Crumple wrote:
Hermit wrote:
The world wide web is a jungle, but Facebook will keep you safe from all that immorality by watching over you and your neighbours watching over you too and their neighbours. It's medieval if you think about it. :coffee:
I got used to your incoherence quite some time ago, but the immensity of irrelevance you extrude due to your lack of comprehension is occasionally breathtaking. This is one of the occasions. :coffee:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:11 am

FaceBook and Twitter are as a good a drug as any religion.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:24 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:FaceBook and Twitter are as a good a drug as any religion.
Many Facebook addicts in denial. A 'like' is 'prayer' and the entire thing is nothing except Catholicism, same ol' shit. And I'm the heretic for talking outside their box. :nono:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:44 am

Apparently a 'like' is has good as a fix. People have committed suicide because of the lack of likes.

Social media addiction is a bigger problem than you think

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:28 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Apparently a 'like' is has good as a fix. People have committed suicide because of the lack of likes.

Social media addiction is a bigger problem than you think
That's why I never, hardly ever, give a 'like' thinking about the power to depress a entire people. :tea:

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Crumple wrote: That's why I never, hardly ever, give a 'like' thinking about the power to depress a entire people. :tea:
:tup: ;this: :yayay:
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:11 pm

I'd just like to express my support for Hermit's intake of breath above and agree with him too.

Religion and social media have little or no actual connection in reality. Social media do not require faith in supernatural beings. If people kill themselves because they don't get 'likes' that is not a religious matter either.

For fucks sake is reason simply absent as a resource for some people?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:52 pm

if common sense was that common, a lot of stupid things would simply never happen.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Svartalf wrote:if common sense was that common, a lot of stupid things would simply never happen.
:potd:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Social media is destroying so much. If there was a cocaine epidemic as large as the social media epidemic it would be banned.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:37 pm

What exactly is it destroying? I'm in touch with family at the other end of the country, childhood friends I have reunited with after decades - people I would never have seen or been in touch with again. Ratz is social media - and at its height i was a spectacular thing to behold.

Sure kids go over the top and are developing some pretty weird habits but they always did - its just happening faster..on the way to the ultimate merging with out robot overlords! (OK ignore that last part)