The Hijab and Burka have no Quranic Authority

Holy Crap!
Alan B

The Hijab and Burka have no Quranic Authority

Post by Alan B » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:24 am

as dress codes for women according to Queen Rania of Jordan
THE WORD "HIJAB" in the QURAN "Hijab" is the term used by many Muslims women to describe their head cover that may or may not include covering their face except their eyes, and sometimes covering also one eye. The Arabic word "Hijab" can be translated into veil or yashmak. Other meanings for the word "Hijab" include, screen, cover (ing), mantle, curtain, drapes, partition, division, divider.
Can we find the word "Hijab" in the Quran??
The word "Hijab" appeared in the Quran 7 times, five of them as "Hijab" and two times as "Hijaban,". See Quran 7:46, 33:53, 38:32, 41:5, 42:51, 17:45 and 19:17.
None of these "Hijab" words are used in the Quran in reference to what the traditional Muslims call today (Hijab) as a dress code for the Muslim woman.
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
While many Muslims call "Hijab", an Islamic dress code, they completely ignore the fact that, Hijab as a dress code has nothing to do with Islam and nothing to do with QURAN.
"Hijab" or veil can be traced back to early civilizations. It can be found in early and late Roman and Greek art. The evidence can be seen in archeological discoveries whether in pottery fragments, paintings or recorded civil laws.
Also, Quran-Islam:
The word burqa is not to be found anywhere in the Quran, but as it falls under the heading of hijab which is used in Quran we should explore its use. The Arabic word hijab can be translated into veil or yashmak. Other meanings for the word include screen, barrier, cover(ing), mantle, curtain, drapes, partition, division, divider etc.
The word hijab appears in the Qur’an seven times, five of them as “hijab” and twice as “hijaban”. See 7:46, 17:45, 19:17, 33:53, 38:32, 41:5, 42:51. None of these “hijab” words are used in the Quran in reference to what the traditional Muslims call today “the dress code for Muslim woman”. Hijab in the Qur’an has nothing to do with a woman’s dress code.
The Hijab and Burqa are therefore NOT 'Islamic' dress codes for women, since what is defined as Islamic is laid down in the Qur'an as defined above.

If a country bans these dress styles, it cannot be construed as 'anti-Islamic'.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: The Hijab and Burka have no Quranic Authority

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:58 am

No they don't, Quran requires modesty, but nothing that extreme, now try to feed that to conservative imams.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Alan B wrote:The Hijab and Burqa are therefore NOT 'Islamic' dress codes for women, since what is defined as Islamic is laid down in the Qur'an as defined above.

If a country bans these dress styles, it cannot be construed as 'anti-Islamic'.
Try that argument in a synagogue, using "swastika" instead of "hijab" and "Nazi" instead of "Islamic". :roll:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 pm

There isn't anything about eating fish on fridays in the bible, either.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Nor is there a biblical command for celibacy, though the catholic church reinterpreted Matthew 19:29 and 1 Corinthians 7:32-32 as such. The reinterpretation began in the fourth century CE. Its enforcement was limited to its clerics and did not become fully effective until the 16th.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Hermit wrote:Nor is there a biblical command for celibacy, though the catholic church reinterpreted Matthew 19:29 and 1 Corinthians 7:32-32 as such. The reinterpretation began in the fourth century CE. Its enforcement was limited to its clerics and did not become fully effective until the 16th.
Clerics never followed it. It was for nuns. Keeping them virginal for the priests.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:52 pm

NineBerry wrote:There isn't anything about eating fish on fridays in the bible, either.
which may be why that custom is totally obsolete.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:58 pm

There are reports of people having been beaten for ordering meat on a friday in Bavarian restaurants.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:47 pm

when? the 20s?, after WWII? the 70?, nowadays?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Chapter 24 contains references to head coverings. In verse 30, it refers to women drawing their head coverings forward to cover their breasts. This was not referring a a breast covering per se, but to the head covering which hung down - the koran is saying that it must hang down in front so as to cover down to the bosoms - thus concealing the woman's beauty. The head covering was called the khumur which would be drawn over their necks and bosoms.

I think it's fair to say that Imams and Muslim religious leaders think it's an Islamic requirement. Women wearing the hijab tend to say it's part of their religion. If the followers say their religion mandates something, how can an outsider say "no no - you don't know your own religion - it's not an Islamic thing, even though you think it is. You're wrong."

Moreover, just as the Torah is not the sum total of Judaism, and the New Testament is not the sum total of Christianity, the Qu'ran is not the end-all-be-all of Islam. Islamic teachings involve the hadith and other documents.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Svartalf wrote:No they don't, Quran requires modesty, but nothing that extreme, now try to feed that to conservative imams.
The qu'ranic requirements are based on interpretations of the languge in the koran. So, you may take issue with an Imam, but your difference of opinion does not render an interpretation un-Islamic.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Svartalf wrote:
NineBerry wrote:There isn't anything about eating fish on fridays in the bible, either.
which may be why that custom is totally obsolete.
Catholicism is not and has not been for as long as records can be found, limited to the Bible as the sole and exclusive source of the religion.