About me: 15-32-25

People as stupid as ever

Post by Tero » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:30 am

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: People as stupid as ever

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:36 am

You know you are allowed to post excerpts, yeah?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:52 am

I'm on a stupid android pad while my apple phone charges.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:53 am

Android allows you to cut and paste, T. And my point was more general - you almost never post excerpts. I pretty much ignore most of what you link, as I don't click on links without knowing it's worth my time and effort to read.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 am

I hate the android cursor.
Post-Christian America: Gullible, Intolerant, and Superstitious
An emerging body of research supports the thesis that these interests in nontraditional supernatural and paranormal phenomena are driven by the same cognitive processes and motives that inspire religion. For instance, my colleagues and I recently published a series of studies in the journal Motivation and Emotion demonstrating that the link between low religiosity and belief in advanced alien visitors is at least partly explained by the pursuit of meaning. The less religious participants were, we found, the less they perceived their lives as meaningful. This lack of meaning was associated with a desire to find meaning, which in turn was associated with belief in U.F.O.s and alien visitors. Americans aren’t the only “first-worlders” who nurture their superstitions. Post-Christian Europeans have their own tendencies to believe in elves, trolls, and mental telepathy.
Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... nt-reality
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:09 am

Androidist!

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:23 am

It's bollocks.
It's written by someone who wants people to stay christian, or convert to christianity.
And it basically a pack of lies. Anecdotal rubbish. Quotes a few silly people, and pushes the message that christianity is better.

He seems to be begging you to believe that christian superstition is better than other superstitions.

It's preaching under the disguise of journalism.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 am

If it is a shill for christianity, then that bit can be ignored. However, I think there is some general truth here, that a large proportion of the population wants to be lulled by some sort of belief system that promises benefits and some sort of reduction to the pain of being human. As christianity fades in some western countries, other belief systems will fill its place for the people who crave them.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:47 am

mistermack wrote:It's bollocks.
It's written by someone who wants people to stay christian, or convert to christianity.
And it basically a pack of lies. Anecdotal rubbish. Quotes a few silly people, and pushes the message that christianity is better.

He seems to be begging you to believe that christian superstition is better than other superstitions.

It's preaching under the disguise of journalism.
I don't see any preaching. While the article is a short opinion piece, it contains seven links to further information and below it are three more links to other articles.

I agree with the author that losing one's religion does not automatically entail becoming less gullible, intolerant, superstitious or more rational in general. He provides no evidence, though, that the net effect is negative. The argument that non-Christians are more likely to believe in UFOs, auras and other crap carries no water. He'd have to show that all or almost all people who leave Christianity swap that religion for another superstition in order to do that.

In the end this piece is just another space filler the publisher used because it is cheap. Happens all the time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:59 am

Don't believe in much myself but I always encourage people around me to believe in their favourite delusions to give them something to believe in. Not many can maintain nihilism in the long term. I'm like the guy in Lord of War only with ideas....to push rather than weapons. :coffee:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:36 am

Well, I still thinks it's thinly disguised preaching.
The message is, you might as well stay Christian, even if you have doubts. He's writing for the waverers.

His title, " Post-Christian America: Gullible, Intolerant, and Superstitious " could equally apply as
" Christian America: Gullible, Intolerant, and Superstitious " but his message is clear that it's not so, and that a Christian America is superior.

It must be frustrating for Christian preachers to see people leaving, only to take up with some other mumbo jumbo. Gullible people are their bread and butter, it's like watching money go down the drain.

This guy's message might be a bit subtle, for most Americans, but it's there, loud and clear to me.
I've heard committed Christians say the same thing in debates many times.
Hermit wrote:I don't see any preaching. While the article is a short opinion piece, it contains seven links to further information and below it are three more links to other articles.
Yeh, and all the links are to pro-Christian pages.
If you don't see any preaching, you must be blind.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.