Scientific Proof Of God

Holy Crap!

Joe

Re: Scientific Proof Of God

Post by Joe » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:59 pm

The Franklin School from Berlin? :fp: :fp: :fp:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:26 am

A newly minted school.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:00 am

:fp2:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:23 pm

Now you really know that religion is in its death throws in England (it has been this way for years here). Any religious git can stand up and take a service anywhere.

‘A church without walls’: Anglicanism divided on shift away from tradition
Plan for new communities led by lay people in unconventional venues has prompted Save the Parish campaign

Sunday afternoon in September, a small group will gather at the Whisby nature reserve near Lincoln to explore its trails and marvel at the wildlife. Before they set off on a two-hour hike, they may fortify themselves with a hot drink and a slice of cake from the cafe; they might apply sunscreen or don waterproofs. One thing they are certain to do is join together in prayer.

This is Lincoln Forest Church, part of a growing network of Christian communities that meet outdoors to worship and engage with the natural world. “We are a church without walls,” said Melanie Carroll, who started the group five years ago.

Worship is no longer confined to traditional buildings led by vicars in dog collars. The Church of England plans to set up 10,000 new Christian communities over the next 10 years, many led by lay people and based in village halls, cafes, warehouses, empty shops and other unconventional venues.

The C of E’s declining and ageing congregations have prompted debate about its future for some time, but the Covid pandemic has accelerated the leadership’s push for a new strategy. A sharp fall in parish and diocese income, combined with the surprising success of online worship, during lockdown has led some to question the need for money-draining old buildings and professional, salaried clergy.

The Rev Canon John McGinley, of the evangelical New Wine network, triggered a storm last month when he said that “lay-led churches release the church from key limiting factors” – defined as “a building and a stipend and long, costly college-based training for every leader of the church”.

McGinley’s comments coincided with a “vision and strategy” document, presented by Stephen Cottrell, the archbishop of York, to the C of E synod last month. It aspires to a younger and more diverse church, and a “mixed ecology” that embraces traditional parishes and “fresh expressions” communities aimed at those unlikely to be attracted to conventional services.

“We’re also trying to think about the 90% of the population that aren’t coming to church [fewer than 2% regularly attend C of E churches]. We know not everything we try will work. But if we want to grow, we need to reach out to where people are, and find effective ways of connecting with them.”
Worship anywhere with anyone. Talk about grabbing straws. They know they are finished and once Liz kicks her clogs it will be the end of the c of e.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:29 pm

To me, it seems that the key benefit people get from many religions is a sense of community. The Anglican Church, or at least the modern parts of it, seems to be dissolving away the religious elements, leaving community groups paying symbolic lip service to their past by empty prayers...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:58 am

Maybe it's a good thing, once the CoE has died out for want of followers, the Crown can make up with Rome...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:23 am

How is church attendance in France Svarty?
Covid has crippled any congregation outside of the few villages in the bible belt.

The church next to me is in dire financial straits it can last that long and with the demand for housing there will be a nice apartment block there without any parking facilities. Not even a parking garage well not for cars.

Bikes rule. :cheer:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:06 am

Pretty low... most church goers are elderly, and those that are not tend to be fascists, morons, or both...
the catholic church as a group says they are horribly short on money... I don't know how much of that I can believe
Also, they are so badly short on personnel that there's been serious talk of letting church services be held by mere deacons, or maybe even deaconesses... Of course, the top won't hear of such things, but it tells how short they are on priestly vocations.

I suspect protestant denoms and sects are doing better.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:03 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:06 am
Pretty low... most church goers are elderly, and those that are not tend to be fascists, morons, or both...
the catholic church as a group says they are horribly short on money... I don't know how much of that I can believe
Also, they are so badly short on personnel that there's been serious talk of letting church services be held by mere deacons, or maybe even deaconesses... Of course, the top won't hear of such things, but it tells how short they are on priestly vocations.

I suspect protestant denoms and sects are doing better.
Yeah. The church across the road has an African priest who does not speak Dutch apparently so he has a lay git translating for him... The numbers have shrunk to 10 to 20.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:15 pm

If the Catholics are short of money they should sell a few of those gold door handles in the Vatican, or an old master or two.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:21 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:15 pm
If the Catholics are short of money they should sell a few of those gold door handles in the Vatican, or an old master or two.
Selling the Vatican's wardrobe alone could finance the end world hunger.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:32 pm

That all looks awfully cumbersome. If I were pope, I'd be the first pope to walk around in shorts, flip-flops, tee shirt. I'd wear the hat though. How could you not wear the hat? That thing is hilarious.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:57 pm

Seabass wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:32 pm
That all looks awfully cumbersome. If I were pope, I'd be the first pope to walk around in shorts, flip-flops, tee shirt.
Good idea. For one thing it would save a lot of time - and possibly avoid mishaps - when you need to go to the toilet.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:21 pm

And make it easier to get at the choir boys...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!