Philosowibble and Quantum Religious Woo

Holy Crap!
pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Philosowibble and Quantum Religious Woo

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:30 am

Just saw this posted on a friend of a friend's wall on facebook. This is the sort of shit the hippy left keep coming up with. I haven't actually read (or even clicked on) the article yet, but I am assuming it is by Lawrence Krauss, so should be an interesting read. I'm going to the beach now, but will read it later. But I thought the comment was a classic case of the bullshit wibble these hippies deal in. The most annoying thing is that a lot of these people are well educated, so it's even more infuriating then. So I'm posting it here (with the link to the article), as I imagine we'll have something to comment on about both the comment and the article.
My 11th grade physics and biology teacher (who also taught chemistry maths and IT), who was also a Christian (an evolutionist with no convictions regarding the time frame of evolution), explained how he reconciled science and the bible, which was immensely helpful to me in my understanding of the "theory of everything". He was a bit Zen actually and looked like Ned Flanders, but I digress. He would have had something to say about the the lack of understanding of intricacies of philosophical theology (which covers numerous cultural beliefs) that Lawrence exhibits in the last paragraph, as many scientists do. He knows how perception works, this is the premise at the outset, but seems to think scientists are more immune to its limitations than theologians. I find it a bit narrow minded. A God smart enough to actually CREATE a universe at a quantum level isn't something to be dismissed so lightly by a mind inside a tiny little brain the size of man's, who only gets a meagre '3 three score years and ten' to work it all out, no matter how many microscopes, telescopes and Hadron colliders he has. It's too darn big for that. When he can create all this, then maybe he has the authority to dismiss "God". A bit more God for many scientists and a bit more science for many religious people would be a good thing as far as I can tell.
But in saying that, the rest is very interesting and, I think, astute and rationally creative
I am thinking of sharing it to some flat Earthers. Just as a shit stir. What do you think?
Here's the article - http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... we-know-it (* - it is by Krauss).
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Re: Philosowibble and Quantum Religious Woo

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:32 am

Fark, how in the fuck could allegedly reconciling science and the bible help her in understanding "the theory of everything"?!? :fp:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:44 am

I have no idea what he's wibbling about, so here's a picture of the Hoff with puppies.
puppy breath dave.jpg
puppy breath dave.jpg (47.41 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 am

Aww. Adorable.

The critique of Krauss presumes its conclusion and works backwards from there. Why, exactly, should we not dismiss from reality that which is imagined but otherwise remains entirely unsupported?

Nice article though. :tup:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:49 am

Brian Peacock wrote:Aww. Adorable.

The critique of Krauss presumes its conclusion and works backwards from there. Why, exactly, should we not dismiss from reality that which is imagined but otherwise remains entirely unsupported?
Because reality is for those who can't handle drugs.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Much truth in that.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 pm

pErvin wrote:Just saw this posted on a friend of a friend's wall on facebook. This is the sort of shit the hippy left keep coming up with. I haven't actually read (or even clicked on) the article yet, but I am assuming it is by Lawrence Krauss, so should be an interesting read. I'm going to the beach now, but will read it later. But I thought the comment was a classic case of the bullshit wibble these hippies deal in. The most annoying thing is that a lot of these people are well educated, so it's even more infuriating then. So I'm posting it here (with the link to the article), as I imagine we'll have something to comment on about both the comment and the article.
My 11th grade physics and biology teacher (who also taught chemistry maths and IT), who was also a Christian (an evolutionist with no convictions regarding the time frame of evolution), explained how he reconciled science and the bible, which was immensely helpful to me in my understanding of the "theory of everything". He was a bit Zen actually and looked like Ned Flanders, but I digress. He would have had something to say about the the lack of understanding of intricacies of philosophical theology (which covers numerous cultural beliefs) that Lawrence exhibits in the last paragraph, as many scientists do. He knows how perception works, this is the premise at the outset, but seems to think scientists are more immune to its limitations than theologians. I find it a bit narrow minded. A God smart enough to actually CREATE a universe at a quantum level isn't something to be dismissed so lightly by a mind inside a tiny little brain the size of man's, who only gets a meagre '3 three score years and ten' to work it all out, no matter how many microscopes, telescopes and Hadron colliders he has. It's too darn big for that. When he can create all this, then maybe he has the authority to dismiss "God". A bit more God for many scientists and a bit more science for many religious people would be a good thing as far as I can tell.
But in saying that, the rest is very interesting and, I think, astute and rationally creative
I am thinking of sharing it to some flat Earthers. Just as a shit stir. What do you think?
Here's the article - http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... we-know-it (* - it is by Krauss).
The majority of the planet seem to have a instinctive need to believe in a big daddy in the sky. It's not like you pinko commies have given them a viable alternative, what with your gulags and mountains of dead bodies with your sick disgusting political ideology is it.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Yeah, much better to revere Trump or Putin as your big sky daddy surrogate.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:38 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:
pErvin wrote:Just saw this posted on a friend of a friend's wall on facebook. This is the sort of shit the hippy left keep coming up with. I haven't actually read (or even clicked on) the article yet, but I am assuming it is by Lawrence Krauss, so should be an interesting read. I'm going to the beach now, but will read it later. But I thought the comment was a classic case of the bullshit wibble these hippies deal in. The most annoying thing is that a lot of these people are well educated, so it's even more infuriating then. So I'm posting it here (with the link to the article), as I imagine we'll have something to comment on about both the comment and the article.
The majority of the planet seem to have a instinctive need to believe in a big daddy in the sky. It's not like you pinko commies have given them a viable alternative, what with your gulags and mountains of dead bodies with your sick disgusting political ideology is it.
You're right. I'm renouncing pinko-commie-ism as of this moment.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:03 pm

Pinko-commie-ism?

I prefer the 'full-on' red version. Now, that's a man's commie-ism!
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:06 pm

:clap:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:29 pm

In future, I'm only going to post on Rationalia when I'm sitting cross-legged inside a pyramid, with crystals strapped to my chakras...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 am

JimC wrote:In future, I'm only going to post on Rationalia when I'm sitting cross-legged inside a pyramid, with crystals strapped to my chakras...
...and a bottle of gin next to the keyboard. :levi:

:drunk:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 01, 2017 2:21 am

JimC wrote:In future, I'm only going to post on Rationalia when I'm sitting cross-legged inside a pyramid, with crystals strapped to my chakras...
:lol: Although, at your age you should make sure you use padded straps. Your chakras have taken quite a beating over the years so I've heard... :prof:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon May 01, 2017 3:54 am

My chakras might be worn, but they're still quite serviceable...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!