What Is Sharia Law?

Holy Crap!
pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

What Is Sharia Law?

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:23 am

There was a fiery debate on tele the other night in Straya regarding Sharia Law. The nice Muslim girl claimed that Sharia isn't actually the hardline extremist version that we often see in the fundy countries. I've heard this before, and I've also heard counter arguments. Anyway, here's a piece in the Strayan media generated after the debate. Thoughts?

The rhetoric around Sharia law has become an often firey and emotional talking-point that crops up in discussions about Islam and Islamic migration to Western countries. But what is Sharia law and how is it applied?

What is Sharia law?

Dr Jamila Hussain, a research associate at the University of Technology Sydney told SBS, Sharia encompasses all aspects of a Muslim’s life.

“The overriding principle of Sharia is justice. It’s very broad and includes ordinary ways of life, for example how you behave towards other people. Religious duties like prayer and fasting and giving to charity – which is very important,” she said.

“It also includes how you behave towards other people. And it includes things like commercial law, inheritance law, family law.”

Sharia is the moral, legal and religious code followed by all Muslims, but made notorious by extremist groups like Islamic State wanting to implement hardline aspects of Islamic law.

In Arabic, Sharia means "the clear, well-trodden path to water” and is based on the teachings of the Koran, the life of Prophet Mohammed, and the expertise of Islamic scholars.

Islamic scholars form this code through ‘fiqh’ or Islamic jurisprudence, which is used when interpreting Sharia. While Sharia is enshrined in the Koran and unchanging, fiqh can vary according to the situation at hand, meaning Islamic law can adapt and remain applicable to modern life.

According to Massey University’s Christopher van der Krogt, Islamic law is elaborated by scholars, often as a critique of what the rulers are doing.

“Scholars (the ulama) claim to know best what God requires because they have studied the Qur’an and the sunna, as well as the works of their predecessors," he said.

"Naturally, they often disagree with each other on matters of detail, and there are five distinct schools of jurisprudence in the Islamic world today. Four of them are Sunni and one is Shii (Shiite).”

Punishment under Sharia law

Sharia criminal law is divided into three broad categories: hadd, qisas, and tazir offences.

Hadd, the most serious offences, have set punishments. According to the Oxford Islamic Studies, these Hadd offences include:

Theft (amputation of the hand)

Adultery or illicit sex (death by stoning or one hundred lashes)

Making unproven accusations of illicit sex (eighty lashes)

Drinking intoxicants (eighty lashes) Apostasy (death or banishment)

Highway robbery (death).

Qisas involve retribution crimes against a person who has inflicted physical harm (murder, manslaughter or physical injury). The family can waive corporal punishment in exchange for financial compensation.

An Acehnese woman is whipped in front of the public at Al Furqon Mosque, Banda Aceh, Indonesia, 01 August 2016.(AAP)

An Acehnese woman is whipped in front of the public at Al Furqon Mosque, Banda Aceh, Indonesia, 01 August 2016.(AAP)

Tazir are severe crimes that do not measure up to the strict requirements of Hadd offences. Punishment can range from the death penalty, fines, imprisonment and caning. The decision depends on the discretion of the judge at hand.

Dr Hussain explained that while punishments do happen, they are only carried out in conservative Muslim countries, and are not representative of what Sharia law is about.

“The criminal offences mentioned in the Koran which to our way of thinking today are very cruel and outlandish,” she said. “Those punishments are not enforced anywhere except in a handful of very conservative Muslim countries... Saudi Arabia is a very good example.

“The majority of Muslim countries do not enforce that kind of criminal law at all. And nobody is calling for it in Australia.”

[cont]
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/explainer/what-sharia-law
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Re: What Is Sharia Law?

Post by NineBerry » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:36 am

It's like when Christians say that our Western values are built on the Ten Commandments. They do believe that even when it is complete nonsense.

"The Sharia" is even more vague because there isn't actually a set of ten things you can find in a single document but a whole lot of Quran chapters, Hadiths and traditions that you can pick from to make up your own version of Sharia,

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:36 am

shari'a is what you make of it depending on what quran points and what hadith you choose to apply, and how far
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:41 am

Exactly. It varies depending on which bits you want to use. It is very much cherry picking and open to many interpretations. There is not one Shari-an law.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:06 am

So it's a case of the no true scottish sharia fallacy?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:12 am

No true Scotsman shall submit to shari'a, true.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:30 am

Well I am not a Scotsman.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Religious authority ducks cod nipples.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Whether rigorously applied or only moderate, there is simply no place for any form of religious-based laws to operate in a secular country.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 pm

Jamila Hussain wrote:The overriding principle of Sharia is justice.
Keeping in mind such facts (among others) that four witnesses are required to prove a case of rape and that women are entitled to half the inheritance that men get, Hussain is employing a definition of justice I am not familiar with.
Jamila Hussain wrote:Sharia is the moral, legal and religious code followed by all Muslims, but made notorious by extremist groups like Islamic State wanting to implement hardline aspects of Islamic law.
There are hardline aspects of Islamic law? Wow. Who knew? And only extremist groups want to enforce it?

Also, what Jim said. Sharia is incompatible with secular forms of government.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Sharia is anything you want it to be. There is no one defined version.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:22 pm

but when it's defined, it's usually so by rigorists who want to reduce women's rights in the name of "decency" and to punish people outrageously over "crimes" that are not recognized by the law of the land 'except in places where shari'a IS the law of the land, and when so it's usually in this rigorist aspect)

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Svartalf wrote:but when it's defined, it's usually so by rigorists who want to reduce women's rights in the name of "decency" and to punish people outrageously over "crimes" that are not recognized by the law of the land 'except in places where shari'a IS the law of the land, and when so it's usually in this rigorist aspect)
Oh when it comes to women sharia can be brutal if the full law is enforced. Very few countries impose the full sharia apart that is for Saudi Arabia which goes for the full blown no bars version.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 pm

and the emirates, pakistan and the taliban ruled parts of afghanistan, of course

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Yep but no one does the full blown version like Saudi Arabia. The full blown version concerning women is used very brutally in Yemen. Marriage of young girls (under 9) to old men is very common.