Good news from America!

Holy Crap!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Good news from America!

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:44 pm

CNN is reporting that a new study shows that people who have "faith" are down 10% from a few years ago. (77% v. 87%) They also mentioned that self-described atheists are up. (I'll catch the proper percentage next time around.)
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Re: Good news from America!

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Faithfree
The Potable Atheist
About me: All things in moderation, including moderation

Post by Faithfree » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:48 pm

Woot! :woot: :woot:

Is it safe to visit the bible belt yet?
Although it may look like a forum, this site is actually a crowd-sourced science project modelling the slow but inexorable heat death of the universe.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:50 pm

Faithfree wrote:Woot! :woot: :woot:

No.

Feck

Post by Feck » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Faithfree wrote:Woot! :woot: :woot:

only if visiting them with plagues :twisted:
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:56 am

People are working through their dissonance and coming out of the closet ...

I think the internet is having a huge influence on this trend and we're seeing the consequences of having freedom of information and views right at our fingertips. Good times. :cheers:
no fences

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:59 am

Gawdzilla wrote:CNN is reporting that a new study shows that people who have "faith" are down 10% from a few years ago. (77% v. 87%) They also mentioned that self-described atheists are up. (I'll catch the proper percentage next time around.)
:woot:
We danced.

Faithfree
The Potable Atheist
About me: All things in moderation, including moderation

Post by Faithfree » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Charlou wrote:People are working through their dissonance and coming out of the closet ...

I think the internet is having a huge influence on this trend and we're seeing the consequences of having freedom of information and views right at our fingertips. Good times. :cheers:
I think you're spot on Charlou, the internet is quickly changing the world, mostly for the better. :woot:
Although it may look like a forum, this site is actually a crowd-sourced science project modelling the slow but inexorable heat death of the universe.

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:39 am

We'll see.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Psi Wavefunction
Cекси техническая лаборатория
About me: I kill threads WITH SCIENCE!

I like Crascuits. :coffee:

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:45 am

Faithfree wrote:
Charlou wrote:People are working through their dissonance and coming out of the closet ...

I think you're spot on Charlou, the internet is quickly changing the world, mostly for the better. :woot:
Enter 4chan... :plot:

Actually, I don't see any evil in sites like 4chan -- people still had those very interests in the dark corners of their minds... and always will. Now they we can express them ourselves in a benign way on a forum and bask in the collective insanity of the human species. After all, we're all pretty fucking insane! :cheers:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:48 am

Faithfree wrote:

Technology is trumping religion at every turn. The people who watch Ken Hovind's videos are doing so on a HD TV with a DVD attached or viewing them on YOUTUBE and something in the back of their minds must be saying, "Wait a minute . . . "

Cwazy Cat Lady

Post by Cwazy Cat Lady » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:38 am

I feel as though I have noticed a marked difference over the past two years or so, but especially in the last year. I've been aware of my non-belief for a long time (about 20 years) and I never ever felt any acknowledgment, community presence, place for discussion about secularism and atheism until i read an E.O. Wilson and RD book in 2000. It's taken a few years, but the trend is really really promising... :mrgreen: I hope our inroads are lasting. :roll:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:47 am

Cwazy Cat Lady wrote:I feel as though I have noticed a marked difference over the past two years or so, but especially in the last year. I've been aware of my non-belief for a long time (about 20 years) and I never ever felt any acknowledgment, community presence, place for discussion about secularism and atheism until i read an E.O. Wilson and RD book in 2000. It's taken a few years, but the trend is really really promising... :mrgreen: I hope our inroads are lasting. :roll:
I got into atheist forums round about. "Expelled" really pissed me off. Then I saw a link on Skepticforum.com to RDF. After that thinks progressed naturally.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 am

Gawdzilla wrote:Technology is trumping religion at every turn. The people who watch Ken Hovind's videos are doing so on a HD TV with a DVD attached or viewing them on YOUTUBE and something in the back of their minds must be saying, "Wait a minute . . . "
Not fucking likely. Fundies of every conceivable denomination use modern technology to its fullest in order to further their causes, and they are doing regrettably well with it. Technology in general and the internet in particular is value neutral.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:42 am

Seraph wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Technology is trumping religion at every turn. The people who watch Ken Hovind's videos are doing so on a HD TV with a DVD attached or viewing them on YOUTUBE and something in the back of their minds must be saying, "Wait a minute . . . "
Not fucking likely. Fundies of every conceivable denomination use modern technology to its fullest in order to further their causes, and they are doing regrettably well with it. Technology in general and the internet in particular is value neutral.
Ah, but that's the trap. Using technology inevitably erodes woo. :whisper: