Stoic Week 2015

Holy Crap!
Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: Stoic Week 2015

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:12 am

Făkünamę wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:The vagus nerve is the one that fires when you need a poo. Holding on to a loose stool when all around are losing theirs is among the highest achievements for an adept of Stoicism.
That would explain what I've heard about advanced Yogi's being able to prolapse their anuses to cleanse them in streams.. strange as that sounds. :tea:
That would necessarily involve damage to connective tissue. You cannot simply prolapse at will unless you have been subject to earlier trauma.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:19 am

I just had a serious lol.. I heard that from Pappa about two years ago. :)

The bit about the prolapsing, not the previous trauma..

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:00 am

I like the first principle of stoicism which is the acceptance of things beyond your control
The biggest thing that that is of course is death. Last year I decided to accept it with out
reservation. As a consequence I am now as free as is possible to be whilst still being alive
When I do eventually die I will as free as it is actually possible to be so it just gets better
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:53 pm

DRSB wrote:
To me, stoicism is simply the ability to calmly appreciate life, whether luxurious or not. Its antithesis is not luxury per se, but the obsessive pursuit of material values and mindless pleasure at the expense of all else...
This!

It is also about daily meditations contemplating things like nature, death and the bigger scheme of things, great for putting things into perspective.

The event is wonderfully organized: daily reading lessons, a nice collections of guided meditations and a lively forum with participants from all over the world.
Bollocks, stoicism is happy with the mundane and average, It is anti-creativity. Go to an art gallery and see some pre-raphaelites, read some nineteenth century Russian literature, watch a play or see an opera. I remember when I was in Tokyo in early 2006 they had Vincent's Bedroom in Arles on display, I queued for several hours just to see it. As a load of Japanese schoolgirls glanced at it and hurried past on what must have been a boring school trip. I was transfixed by the beauty of such a work of art. I stood there for what seems to be an hour just taking in each brush stroke, I was so close I could have touched it but the security guard didn't look like he was going to give anybody the benefit of the doubt. I still wont look at a copy of said painting incase it takes away from my memory of that wonderful hour. Still be happy with the basic.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:20 am

read Seneca's plays
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:57 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:

Bollocks, stoicism is happy with the mundane and average, It is anti-creativity.
What utter crap, stoicism has nothing to do with either the presence or absence of creativity. It does not forbid emotional involvement or creative endeavours, it simply says that such involvement should not dominate one's life.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:48 am

Here's to Stoicism :td:

alcohol deferred as I'm currently out, but tomorrow I drink to Stoicism, among other things.

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:19 am

JimC wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:

Bollocks, stoicism is happy with the mundane and average, It is anti-creativity.
What utter crap, stoicism has nothing to do with either the presence or absence of creativity. It does not forbid emotional involvement or creative endeavours, it simply says that such involvement should not dominate one's life.
Nah, it is the mundane so loved by ordinary minds (stoicism.) As it doesn't dominate my life. It makes me feel so alive that I welcome the respite of everyday living.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:25 pm

That's Asceticism smart guy.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Svartalf wrote:read Seneca's plays
No. if you can't explain why stoicism is 'a good thing' then sucks to your advice.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:51 pm

JimC wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:

Since when was pure entertainment and comfort dominate in one's life?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:22 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:
No. if you can't explain why stoicism is 'a good thing' then sucks to your advice.
If you're too lazy to read it from a guy who explains it better than I ever could, suck it yourself, plus, IIRC, you're answering completely beside the reason I posted that, so eff you.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:12 am

That's the most ridiculous reply I encountered in quite a while. What next? If you want to understand what communism is about, read Das Kapital?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:04 am

Svartalf wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:
If you're too lazy to read it from a guy who explains it better than I ever could, suck it yourself, plus, IIRC, you're answering completely beside the reason I posted that, so eff you.
and a merry Christmas to you too. :biggrin:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:40 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:
JimC wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:

Since when was pure entertainment and comfort dominate in one's life?
That's the way our corporate masters would like it to be...

Consumerist opium, plus bread and circuses, via mass media...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!