Stoic Week 2015

Holy Crap!
DRSB

Re: Stoic Week 2015

Post by DRSB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:51 pm

I had quite a nice career in banking for 17 years until many laws changed to such an extent that what used to be normal business has become illegal. I saw this coming several years ago and started obtaining alternative qualifications in coaching, went to business school, etc. and now I am officially a business coach. Also obtained quite a number of certifications in hypnosis and can handle things like stop-smoking, weight-loss, anxieties, blocks, in fact anything.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:55 pm

DRSB wrote:I had quite a nice career in banking for 17 years until many laws changed to such an extent that what used to be normal business has become illegal. I saw this coming several years ago and started obtaining alternative qualifications in coaching, went to business school, etc. and now I am officially a business coach. Also obtained quite a number of certifications in hypnosis and can handle things like stop-smoking, weight-loss, anxieties, blocks, in fact anything.
Can you do the, "These are not the droids you seek" one? :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:58 pm

What used to be normal business has become illegal? How dare they interfere with banking practices like that!

Well done on your change of course, though. As for hypnosis, I tried that to help me quit smoking tobacco. Didn't work at all.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:04 pm

You probably did not want to quit but somebody else told you to, in which case I'm not surprised it did not work, it cannot work.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Um, I assure you that I wanted to quit all on my own. Nobody drove me towards it but me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:11 pm

That's only what you think you think, only what you wants you to think. PM me your PIN and I'll tell you how suggestible you are.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:12 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Hermit wrote:What about guarding the Poop? The current turd is a bit of a progressive. He might not object to women dressing up in 18th century clown suits. No problem, as long as they don't start demanding to become priests. Or lesbians.
I demand to be a lesbian! NAOW!!1! :biggrin:
Just a moment, I'm looking for my trusty scalpel, not used since the old zoology days. I suppose I could clean it first...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:52 am

DRSB wrote:I took part twice, the fourth run is coming up next week, the "Live like a Stoic for a Week"-event of the University of Exeter:

http://philosophy-of-cbt.com/2015/10/18 ... k-matters/
Why do you hate luxury?
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:42 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:
DRSB wrote:I took part twice, the fourth run is coming up next week, the "Live like a Stoic for a Week"-event of the University of Exeter:

http://philosophy-of-cbt.com/2015/10/18 ... k-matters/
Why do you hate luxury?
To me, stoicism is simply the ability to calmly appreciate life, whether luxurious or not. Its antithesis is not luxury per se, but the obsessive pursuit of material values and mindless pleasure at the expense of all else...

I am quite stoical when I open a damn good bottle of fine shiraz, I assure you...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:14 am

To me, stoicism is simply the ability to calmly appreciate life, whether luxurious or not. Its antithesis is not luxury per se, but the obsessive pursuit of material values and mindless pleasure at the expense of all else...
This!

It is also about daily meditations contemplating things like nature, death and the bigger scheme of things, great for putting things into perspective.

The event is wonderfully organized: daily reading lessons, a nice collections of guided meditations and a lively forum with participants from all over the world.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:08 am

Dave Dodo oversimplifies to the point of losing all touch with the facts. Never seen that before. :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:34 am

DRSB wrote:I had quite a nice career in banking for 17 years until many laws changed to such an extent that what used to be normal business has become illegal. I saw this coming several years ago and started obtaining alternative qualifications in coaching, went to business school, etc. and now I am officially a business coach. Also obtained quite a number of certifications in hypnosis and can handle things like stop-smoking, weight-loss, anxieties, blocks, in fact anything.
Very accomplished. :tup:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:15 am

Stoic equanimity and the Vagus nerve:
Equanimity is defined as “Mental calmness, composure and evenness of temper, especially in a difficult situation.” Equanimity has its biological roots in the vagus nerve and is synonymous with grace under pressure.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... r-pressure

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:50 am

The vagus nerve is the one that fires when you need a poo. Holding on to a loose stool when all around are losing theirs is among the highest achievements for an adept of Stoicism.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:05 am

Brian Peacock wrote:The vagus nerve is the one that fires when you need a poo. Holding on to a loose stool when all around are losing theirs is among the highest achievements for an adept of Stoicism.
That would explain what I've heard about advanced Yogi's being able to prolapse their anuses to cleanse them in streams.. strange as that sounds. :tea: