Stoic Week 2015

Holy Crap!
DRSB

Re: Stoic Week 2015

Post by DRSB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Rum wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:14 pm
I think 'living by' a philosophy is a bit juvenile. By the time we are old we have an outlook on the world and the universe that has developed over decades and we live according to that. I don't feel I have much choice about that - it is based on what I believe the universe to be - in my case, big, empty and meaningless in terms of anything relating to human beings. I'm probably positive in my outlook more because of my biology and psychological outlook that because I choose to be. Nothing humans do amounts to much at all, in the short run. let alone the long run. Live and enjoy as best one can!
Living by a philosophy is one thing, adopting a different perspective another. They did not live by the book, it is a very individualized thing, it is meditations, diaries, solitary walks, quiet contemplation, not doctrines and religions, they did not go around condemning other people for not being Stoics or whatever (enough), they did not pray in groups, they basically did not impose.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:49 pm

I just take it moment to moment and see what happens.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:06 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:49 pm
I just take it moment to moment and see what happens.
Me too, I just add the element of striving to be a more virtuous character every day! :prof:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:11 pm

I have a wife to do that for me, and then lay out my clothes for the day.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:17 pm

laklak wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:11 pm
Yes, we are all connected and part of nature so it is legitimate to let your wife to work on your virtues.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:34 pm

The wise person does nothing that he could regret, nothing against his will,
but does everything honourably, consistently, seriously, and rightly; he
anticipates nothing as if it is bound to happen, but is shocked by nothing
when it does happen …. and refers everything to his own judgement, and
stands by his own decisions. I can conceive of nothing which is happier that
this. – Cicero, Tusculan Disputations 5.81

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:35 pm

DRSB wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:38 pm
Rum wrote:
I think 'living by' a philosophy is a bit juvenile. By the time we are old we have an outlook on the world and the universe that has developed over decades and we live according to that. I don't feel I have much choice about that - it is based on what I believe the universe to be - in my case, big, empty and meaningless in terms of anything relating to human beings. I'm probably positive in my outlook more because of my biology and psychological outlook that because I choose to be. Nothing humans do amounts to much at all, in the short run. let alone the long run. Live and enjoy as best one can!
Living by a philosophy is one thing, adopting a different perspective another. They did not live by the book, it is a very individualized thing, it is meditations, diaries, solitary walks, quiet contemplation, not doctrines and religions, they did not go around condemning other people for not being Stoics or whatever (enough), they did not pray in groups, they basically did not impose.
I was actually referring to Crumple's notion of trying to utilise one philosophical outlook and switching at regular intervals. As I say, I don't feel I choose how I see the world around me. It has simply developed over time.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:41 pm

DRSB wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:17 pm
laklak wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:11 pm
Yes, we are all connected and part of nature so it is legitimate to let your wife to work on your virtues.
She's a pro at that. Without her I'd probably still be living in a beach shack, spending my carefree days surfing and fishing, and....

...wait a minute ...
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:28 pm

Rum wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:35 pm
DRSB wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:38 pm
Rum wrote:
I was actually referring to Crumple's notion of trying to utilise one philosophical outlook and switching at regular intervals. As I say, I don't feel I choose how I see the world around me. It has simply developed over time.
This is the point the Stoics make: it is worth to observe how thoughts and impressions arise, telling them "You are just an impression" because overtime they become attitudes and behavirour and destiny.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am

:smoke:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:35 pm

;) They reason very stoically!

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:38 pm

I am reading William Ferraiolo‘s book on stoic meditations (controversial, praised by some and condemned by orhers) and he calls not to lament aging and losing power and functions because aging beats dropping dead.
I couldn‘t agree more.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 am

Easy to say when young. I often wonder why I carry on. If I did not have a sufficient warm relationship with someone I love I would not be here. From being super active to what I am now is an unacceptable change. Since my stroke life has once again turned. I have been told that maybe in two years I should be fairly back to where I was. We will see.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Don't judge yourself too harshly, and keep on with the physio. You'll get there. :tup:

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks but I am realistic. One bright point everyone says keep up with the sauna. Just been there today. Feel so clean and relaxed. It was busy. Seeing all those people without a care just being naked it gives you a big positive. No hangups.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".