Article: This is your brain on religion... (v. atheism).

Holy Crap!
BrettA
Master Muff and Lube Guru

Article: This is your brain on religion... (v. atheism).

Post by BrettA » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:57 pm

My brother - also an atheist - sent the following (G&M) link from one of Canada's largest newpapers about research at two of Canada's top universities. Some excerpts:

"Newly published research by University of Toronto and York University professors points to reduced stress and anxiety among test subjects who consider themselves to be religious, compared with non-believers"... "[Religious people] were much less anxious and stressed when they made an error," ... "religion provides meaning in peoples' lives".

It's not all glowing, but I'm curious if other studies come to similar conclusions - rather more positive on religion / negative on atheism - or indeed, opposite conclusions... Anyone know?
"It's just a fact: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F!"

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Re: Article: This is your brain on religion... (v. atheism).

Post by Chinaski » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Does the absence of stress lead them to make better decisions for their lives?
I know someone whose best friend died of meningitis two years ago (at age 14, tragedy). This person's family are adventists (or something) and she has profound faith in the imminent return of Christ. This tragedy has led her to attach herself even more to her faith because it gives her even the tiniest amount of hope that she might derive meaning from what happened. Now, while I think she's hurting herself by continually obsessing over it and praying quite often. I hate to bring it up, because otherwise she's a really nice girl and overall a beautiful person, and this seems to be the best way she knows how to deal with it. But is it really the best way?
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

al-rawandi

Post by al-rawandi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:33 pm

BrettA wrote:My brother - also an atheist - sent the following (G&M) link from one of Canada's largest newpapers about research at two of Canada's top universities. Some excerpts:

"Newly published research by University of Toronto and York University professors points to reduced stress and anxiety among test subjects who consider themselves to be religious, compared with non-believers"... "[Religious people] were much less anxious and stressed when they made an error," ... "religion provides meaning in peoples' lives".

It's not all glowing, but I'm curious if other studies come to similar conclusions - rather more positive on religion / negative on atheism - or indeed, opposite conclusions... Anyone know?
The thing that is rather obvious to me upon reading this, but I am sure it escapes the religious, is that this has nothing to do with what is true. Star Trek makes me happy (TNG) but I don't worship Patrick Stewart. Life does not guarantee us anything, happiness or otherwise. And these researchers obviously didn't read Khomeini when he said: "There is no fun in Islam, life is a test."

Anyhow, these studies are obnoxious distractions from important questions about reality. Science and philosophy, these destroy notions of religion.

And the conclusion I draw from this study is something someone figured out many years ago.... ignorance is bliss.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:35 pm

al-rawandi wrote:
BrettA wrote:My brother - also an atheist - sent the following (G&M) link from one of Canada's largest newpapers about research at two of Canada's top universities. Some excerpts:

The thing that is rather obvious to me upon reading this, but I am sure it escapes the religious, is that this has nothing to do with what is true. Star Trek makes me happy (TNG) but I don't worship Patrick Stewart. Life does not guarantee us anything, happiness or otherwise. And these researchers obviously didn't read Khomeini when he said: "There is no fun in Islam, life is a test."

Anyhow, these studies are obnoxious distractions from important questions about reality. Science and philosophy, these destroy notions of religion.

And the conclusion I draw from this study is something someone figured out many years ago.... ignorance is bliss.
+1
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:10 am

Of course they aren't nearly as stressed, after all it's part of the lawd's plan.

I wonder what would happen if you had someone with my attitude (minus the university course stress :lol: ) do the test.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

CP

Post by CP » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:39 am

Prozac does that too, but it still shouldn't be taken without serious thought.
We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.