Biggest challenge to my denial of the supernatural yet

Holy Crap!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Biggest challenge to my denial of the supernatural yet

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:24 pm

The Mad Hatter wrote:I've had two 'tarot' readings in my life, neither were remotely accurate.

Either that or I have died twice already, in which case you're all fucked muhahahah!
A lady friend had me drive her to a Tarot reader in San Diego one time. We were just friends, but very close. She was nervous as all hell about the reading and I held her hand while she was waiting to go in. The reader must have spotted this because she came out with all kinds of things implying we were lovers. (The lady was, and still is, married to one of my best friends, who was at sea at the time.) She came out of there steaming mad and never went to another one. She still laughs at that when it comes up.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Deersbee wrote:
The Mad Hatter wrote:I've had two 'tarot' readings in my life, neither were remotely accurate.

Either that or I have died twice already, in which case you're all fucked muhahahah!
Unless you "died" symbolically and started over as a reformed a new person, this is what death symbolizes in Tarot.
Tarot is a system of symbols that can be used to help put a bridge between subconscious and conscious knowledge and for meditation because you always know more than you know; it is for personal consumption actually, not for predictions and charlatanie.
Seems extraordinarily generic to me.

"Dying doesn't mean death, it means a change in your personality"

Reeks of "Buy this fortune cookie!"
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Tarot IS generic and symbolic.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Deersbee wrote:Tarot IS generic and symbolic.
All same-same horrorscope, dear lady.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Deersbee wrote:

Unless you "died" symbolically and started over as a reformed a new person, this is what death symbolizes in Tarot.
Tarot is a system of symbols that can be used to help put a bridge between subconscious and conscious knowledge and for meditation because you always know more than you know; it is for personal consumption actually, not for predictions and charlatanie.
red flags flying here....

advertising lingo - "help" -- it's like an advertisement for a cold remedy that "helps" relieve some symptom or another. They're not saying it actually relieves anything. They're saying it just "helps."

So - does it "put a bridge between subconscious and conscious knowledge," or does it just "help."

Red flag number 2 is the ambiguity here - how, exactly, is shuffling and dealing the cards bridging (or "helping" to bridge) the subconscious and conscious knowledge? Is it any better than assigning names like "death" and other tarot labels to playing cards and dealing those randomly?

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Deersbee wrote:Tarot IS generic and symbolic.
...and meaningless, except to the extent someone imputes their own notions to it. The cards dealt bear no relation to the person for whom the dealer is dealing them.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Symbols are the language of the Unconscious, to quote old Jung. This is all I'm saying, Tarot-induced meditation aims at accessing the unconscious, it only works for personal use though, not to access the unconscious of other people.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Deersbee wrote:Symbols are the language of the Unconscious, to quote old Jung. This is all I'm saying, Tarot-induced meditation aims at accessing the unconscious, it only works for personal use though, not to access the unconscious of other people.
So any set of symbols would help your focus, or just the Tarot?

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Deersbee wrote:Symbols are the language of the Unconscious, to quote old Jung. This is all I'm saying, Tarot-induced meditation aims at accessing the unconscious, it only works for personal use though, not to access the unconscious of other people.
What do you mean "it works?" Works to actually do what?

Tarot cards are stack of cards with different symbols on them. You deal the cards. Even if you're dealing the cards "for yourself", the cards aren't coming out in any pattern or order that is personal to you. They are inanimate objects and unless you're choosing which cards are coming up, they are coming up according to your essentially random shuffle.

What possible relation to you could they have?

Is it irrelevant how the cards come up? There just needs to be some set of symbols to contemplate?

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:25 pm

OK, I give up, you got me, I don't lay Tarot. The closest I've come to look into it was in relation to W.B. Yeats when I studied his symbolic references, he was president of the Golden Dawn for a while, so I looked into it. Now, better talk about Yeats, isn't he just great?! Just think of The Lake Isle of Innisfree! http://www.bartleby.com/103/44.html

devogue

Post by devogue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:43 pm

That fuckin' Kursk shit is mad crack.

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:46 pm

And jung was full of shit, especially when it came to symbols (And dream analysis)
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Deersbee wrote:OK, I give up, you got me, I don't lay Tarot. The closest I've come to look into it was in relation to W.B. Yeats when I studied his symbolic references, he was president of the Golden Dawn for a while, so I looked into it. Now, better talk about Yeats, isn't he just great?! Just think of The Lake Isle of Innisfree! http://www.bartleby.com/103/44.html
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
The falcom cannot hear the falconer

....or something....The Second Coming.... great poem, IMHO

electricwhiteboy
Ipsissimus

Post by electricwhiteboy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 am

The cards in my experience do funny things. I've had very few completely spurious readings, which are still possible despite the ambiguity of the meaning, and none in the last 18 months or so. Certain cards have cropped up with an odd frequency, seemingly signifying future events. The most I can say is that they are for me a useful tool, almost like a very old friend giving me advice on a situation. In reality that “advice” is simply me thinking around a problem from a different angle. I’m probably prey to confirmation bias, which is why I’m doing the whole diary thing. The last thing that I want is to start making counter intuitive decisions based on what the cards told me.
To answer a previous question, any system of symbolism with philosophical advice tied to it randomly accessed would to my mind yield similar results.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:49 am

EWB, they're all spurious.