5 reasons atheism is irrational

Holy Crap!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: 5 reasons atheism is irrational

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:55 pm

macdoc wrote:I thought most sane people got by this shite around puberty.... :doh:
Check the URL again. :whisper:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Jack Rawlinson

Post by Jack Rawlinson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:
Jack Rawlinson wrote:I can't decide whether people like thedistillers, who clearly either do not read or choose to ignore the countless times rebuttals to his five easy pieces of stupidity have been posted, should be criticised more for their obdurate ignorance or their downright rudeness.
I don't think we have to choose, let's excoriate them for both....
Ah, excoriation. What a fine word. And how nice to see you again, Mr. Huxley.

klazmon

Post by klazmon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:It looks like Mr Distillers has scuttled away from his "argument" as quickly as the chap who knocks over a Ming vase at the Museum....
That's his usual modus operandi. He's up to the same tricks at ratskep.

SPMaximus

Post by SPMaximus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:25 am

klazmon wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:It looks like Mr Distillers has scuttled away from his "argument" as quickly as the chap who knocks over a Ming vase at the Museum....
He's up to the same tricks at ratskep.
Indeed, please take him back :begging:

Also, you guys can have paarsurrey, he is everybody's friend :roll:

Faithfree
The Potable Atheist
About me: All things in moderation, including moderation

Post by Faithfree » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:14 am

thedistillers wrote:..... The logical consequence of atheism is despair and nihilism. .....
Really?
I'm going the have to contact all my happy and well adjusted atheist friends and tell them they're doing it all wrong. :lol:
Although it may look like a forum, this site is actually a crowd-sourced science project modelling the slow but inexorable heat death of the universe.

Valden
About me: Once upon a time...

Post by Valden » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:39 am

SPMaximus wrote:
klazmon wrote:

Paarsurrey amuses me. :lol:

irreligionist
Peripheral participant
About me: nothing really to tell

Post by irreligionist » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:41 am

I have to just say, those boobs posted earlier in this thread were massively massive :?

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:31 am

irreligionist wrote:I have to just say, those boobs posted earlier in this thread were massively massive :?
Weren't they just? :biggrin:

I think that the next time distillers tries to enlighten us, everyone should just fill the thread with huge boobs! No comments. No arguments. No debunking. Just bloody enormous boobs. :hehe:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Feck

Post by Feck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
irreligionist wrote:I have to just say, those boobs posted earlier in this thread were massively massive :?

I think that the next time distillers tries to enlighten us, everyone should just fill the thread with huge boobs! No comments. No arguments. No debunking. Just bloody enormous boobs. :hehe:
This might be more effective Image
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Xeno

Post by Xeno » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:00 am

SPMaximus wrote:
klazmon wrote:

paarsurrey is already over there where thedistillers has given up. He has managed to fool some people into giving him invitations to quote slabs of the quran.
RatsSkep thinks Ratz should have its fair share of paarsurrey's friendship too. :pardon:
Friar Barnadine: Thou has committed--
Barabas: Fornication! But what was in another country; and besides, the wench is dead.
(Marlowe)

irreligionist
Peripheral participant
About me: nothing really to tell

Post by irreligionist » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:03 am

Feck wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

This might be more effective Image
..I'm not sure... the boobs posted earlier are bigger than both those guys :dono:

PairOfFeet

Post by PairOfFeet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

That would make the thread a lot more interesting.
An Arabian guy at the aeroport:
- Name?
- Ahmed al-Rhazib.
- Sex?
- Three to five times a week.
- No, no… I mean male or female?
- Male, female, sometimes camel.
- Holy cow!
- Yes, cow, sheep, animals in general.
- But isn’t that hostile?
- Horse style, doggy style, any style!
- Oh dear!
- No, no! Deer run too fast.

mark1961

Post by mark1961 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:32 am

thedistillers wrote:1) Human beings aspire to be happy. The logical consequence of atheism is despair and nihilism. If atheism is true, there is no reason to care about truth, or anything else, so even if God doesn't exist, it's more rational to believe and hope God exists, to live a happier life.
Except where religion is responsible for making people miserable. There's lots of examples of that. Personally I'm quite happy with my lot and am hardly in despair and not caring about anything.

I quite like boobs and cheese too. :biggrin:

Presently looking for a good recipe for cheese, onion and bacon sauce for pouring over some new potatoes I have lying around somewhere too. I also have some cornflower. Seems a little culinary investigation in a quasi-scientific vein is called for.

Well that's dinner sorted.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:21 am

mark1961 wrote:
thedistillers wrote:1) Human beings aspire to be happy. The logical consequence of atheism is despair and nihilism. If atheism is true, there is no reason to care about truth, or anything else, so even if God doesn't exist, it's more rational to believe and hope God exists, to live a happier life.
Except where religion is responsible for making people miserable. There's lots of examples of that. Personally I'm quite happy with my lot and am hardly in despair and not caring about anything.

I quite like boobs and cheese too. :biggrin:

Presently looking for a good recipe for cheese, onion and bacon sauce for pouring over some new potatoes I have lying around somewhere too. I also have some cornflower. Seems a little culinary investigation in a quasi-scientific vein is called for.

Well that's dinner sorted.
My mouth was already watering over the pic Feck posted, you've just tipped me over the edge :drool:

Oh, the misery of it all Image
no fences

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:40 am

2) The universe had a beginning. It is irrational to believe a universe can start to exist without a cause, for ex nihilo nihil fit. Only what we call "God" can be the cause for the universe, for the cause of the universe has to be personal and immaterial. Therefore atheism is irrational.

3) You can only make sense of the universe if it behaves in a predictable way. If atheism is true, there is no rational reason to believe the universe will continue to behave in a predictable way. We cannot make sense of the world we live in if atheism is true. Therefore atheism is irrational.

4) There is no rational explanation for the Gospel accounts, unless Jesus really rose from the dead. Only God had the power to raise Jesus from the dead. Therefore God exists, and atheism is irrational.

5) Atheists can't even prove their position, using evidence and logic. Therefore atheism is irrational.
Well I hadn't thought of these wonderful reasons !

Just off to find a priest! :ddpan:

:razzle: