Positive proof?

Holy Crap!
Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Re: Positive proof?

Post by Blind groper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:12 am

Ultimately it boils down to probabilities. I consider the existence of a deity that influences humans as seriously improbable, for the simple reason that I have been looking for evidence for 50 years, including reading a lot on the subject, and I have seen no credible evidence. I accept that this is not proof, but as I said all along, you cannot prove a negative. So you cannot prove God does not exist. But you can conclude that his/her/its existence is highly improbable.

It is Sagan's dragon all over again. If he claims that a dragon made of dark matter lives in his garage, we cannot disprove that, since dark matter does not interact with our form of matter.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:47 am

You're right. But I think the problem in this particular domain is that god-claims are taken to be a special case because of the nature of the claim generally being subjectively defensible to the claimant. That is; these types of claim are doggedly presented and defended in spite of their inherent weaknesses. In fact, the inherent weakness have often been recast, through a long tradition in religious apologetics, as bolsters to the cause. Such it is with the notion of faith being a personal virtue, etc. In other domains these kind of anecdotal un-evidenced claims, which are simple unsupported, or blind, assertions, are routinely dismissed without all this folderol and frippery.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:14 am

Seth wrote:

They say them to me, when I challenge their routine insults and broad generalizations about people of faith, which they do whenever they think I'm not paying attention. Now, I will admit that the bar has been somewhat raised here and it's been a while (though not long) since I've seen the sort of blatant religion-bashing that was commonplace here, and at RatSkep, and RDF before it. And that's a good thing, for which I claim at least some responsibility because of my staunch defense of common courtesy and reason.
If, by "blatant religion-bashing" you mean a robust critique of religions for a variety of reasons, we still indulge... :Jack:

However, I suspect you mean either giving offence to the religious, or making generalised attacks on religious people.

As to the first, religious people want their beliefs and traditions to be given automatic respect, which in practice means never saying anything except bland generalities. Sorry, no can do; when I see aspects of religion as an institution or belief system that deserve criticism, I'll always do so...

As to the second, the majority of people here are typically at pains to play the ball and not the man. With obvious exceptions such as pedophile priests (and the hierarchy that supported them) and murderous fundamentalists, the worst most of us would say about mainstream believers is that we think they are deluded. That does not make them bad people, or people who are not in most respects good citizens and worthy of praise for their actions.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:34 am

Seth wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote: Made Up Fallacy fallacy.

BG is referring to a supernatural god. Therefore it's perfectly accurate to discuss the logical process involved in proving or disproving supernatural gods. What you are on about, only God (supernatural or not) knows.
Well, first you have to prove that there is anything that is "supernatural" in the first place because you are basing your argument on the premise that the "god" is "supernatural," and second you have to prove that this "god" either exists or does not exist in that "supernatural" realm.

If you claim that the god does not exist because he's supernatural, and by definition there is nothing supernatural, you are forming a tautological fallacy based on ignorance because you do not know that there is nothing supernatural nor do you know that the god is supernatural in character. You are merely assuming so without evidence supporting that assertion.
I don't have to prove anything, as I'm not asserting anything. Wouldn't it be great if one day you learnt how logical reasoning worked?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:38 am

I do have a serious quibble with religious 'faith'.

What they call faith, I call gullibility. If you want to believe things without credible evidence, then I have a sea shore property in the middle of the Sahara Desert I would like to sell to you cheap.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:12 am

Brian Peacock wrote:No, you mean you're just willing to divorce the conclusion from the context of the claim, again.
Which claim? The claim that God exists or the claim that God is ineffable?
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:14 am

Blind groper wrote:Ultimately it boils down to probabilities. I consider the existence of a deity that influences humans as seriously improbable, for the simple reason that I have been looking for evidence for 50 years, including reading a lot on the subject, and I have seen no credible evidence. I accept that this is not proof, but as I said all along, you cannot prove a negative. So you cannot prove God does not exist. But you can conclude that his/her/its existence is highly improbable.
Keerect!
It is Sagan's dragon all over again. If he claims that a dragon made of dark matter lives in his garage, we cannot disprove that, since dark matter does not interact with our form of matter.
Keerect again!
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:16 am

JimC wrote:
Seth wrote:

They say them to me, when I challenge their routine insults and broad generalizations about people of faith, which they do whenever they think I'm not paying attention. Now, I will admit that the bar has been somewhat raised here and it's been a while (though not long) since I've seen the sort of blatant religion-bashing that was commonplace here, and at RatSkep, and RDF before it. And that's a good thing, for which I claim at least some responsibility because of my staunch defense of common courtesy and reason.
If, by "blatant religion-bashing" you mean a robust critique of religions for a variety of reasons, we still indulge... :Jack:

However, I suspect you mean either giving offence to the religious, or making generalised attacks on religious people.

As to the first, religious people want their beliefs and traditions to be given automatic respect, which in practice means never saying anything except bland generalities. Sorry, no can do; when I see aspects of religion as an institution or belief system that deserve criticism, I'll always do so...
And what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. As the Saucier Chef, I am applying your share, so quitcherbitchen.
As to the second, the majority of people here are typically at pains to play the ball and not the man. With obvious exceptions such as pedophile priests (and the hierarchy that supported them) and murderous fundamentalists, the worst most of us would say about mainstream believers is that we think they are deluded. That does not make them bad people, or people who are not in most respects good citizens and worthy of praise for their actions.
If the shoe fits, wear it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:23 am

JimC wrote:
Seth wrote:

Indeed. This is what l was referring to when I said Seth was tone-policing expressions of disbelief, and using his personal standards as justification for the stiff treatment he likes to dish out as self-declared head atheist basher.
Seth wrote:And what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. As the Saucier Chef, I am applying your share, so quitcherbitchen.
See.
Last edited by Brian Peacock on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:27 am

He's a troll. Ur expecting too much.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:12 pm

I expect very little, and am generally not disappointed.

Frank Zappa

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:19 pm

Brian Peacock wrote: Indeed. This is what l was referring to when I said Seth was tone-policing expressions of disbelief, and using his personal standards as justification for the stiff treatment he likes to dish out as self-declared head atheist basher.
Just emulating Atheists.
Seth wrote:And what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. As the Saucier Chef, I am applying your share, so quitcherbitchen.
See.
Indeed. Isn't it nettlesome to be lumped in with nitwits and ignorami who make you look bad merely by residing in the same camp with you even though you hold much more reasonable positions and don't do the sort of things your camp-members are routinely and falsely accused of?

You should get used to it because I deem it a high moral duty to do unto others as they do unto others and, well, who cares about a little collateral damage anyway, that's just how Atheists roll.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Yeah, we know that feel justified in dishing out your brand of stiff treatment to atheists, but nothing you've said above actually deals with Jim's point, it just trumpets (for the umpteenth time) your previous testimony about how atheists bring it on themselves by not saying, being or doing the right thing, and because of that atheists deserve the kind of correction you have such a plain and earnest desire to administer.

:tea:

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:00 am

Strum my G-string!

Frank Zappa