Poll: Whaddya reckon about God's existence?

Holy Crap!

Whaddya reckon about God's existence?

Strong theist. I know there is a God.
6%
De facto theist. I'm not 100% certain but fairly sure there is a God, so I live on the assumption that there is one.
No votes
Leaning towards theism. I think the chance of God's existence is a bit better than 50%.
No votes
Sitting on the fence. I think the chance of God's existence is 50/50
No votes
Leaning towards atheism. I think the chance of God's existence is a bit less than 50%.
No votes
De facto atheist. I'm not 100% certain but fairly sure there is no God, so I live on the assumption that there isn't one.
48%
Strong atheist. I know there is no God.
18%
New-ager. I believe that some other forms of supernatural entities exist.
3%
What? No bacon or cheese? Fuck this poll.
24%

Total votes: 33

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Poll: Whaddya reckon about God's existence?

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Animavore wrote:Maybe it wasn't so much of a troll fail after all.

Can't believe guys are seriously rising to this bait :pop:
Not so much rising to bait, but patiently correcting a toddler's mistakes...

Admittedly, for the umpteenth time...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 am

JimC wrote:

Not so much rising to bait, but patiently correcting a toddler's mistakes...

Admittedly, for the umpteenth time...
He's not making the same mistake over and over. He knows exactly what he's doing.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:05 am

That's just an excuse for his woeful fucking logic.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:33 am

rEvolutionist wrote:

I don't think suggesting carrots are evil is "serious". :ask:
Well then you'd be wrong, since they are inherently evil. In fact most root vegetables are the work of Satan.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Lion IRC

Post by Lion IRC » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:08 am

Animavore wrote: ...Can't believe guys are seriously rising to this bait :pop:
Why is that?
Because your excess spare time is worth so much more than everybody else's?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:11 am

Lion IRC wrote:
Animavore wrote: ...Can't believe guys are seriously rising to this bait :pop:
Why is that?
Because your excess spare time is worth so much more than everybody else's?
Can't believe you seriouly think I'd rise to this bait.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:44 am

:lol:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:29 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:That's just an excuse for his woeful fucking logic.
It's not woeful, it's perfectly correct. Your difficulty in analyzing logical arguments does not make the arguments illogical.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Piscator explained (not that it was needed) why your "logic" was retarded.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:33 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Piscator explained (not that it was needed) why your "logic" was retarded.
No he didn't, he made the same errors in reasoning you did.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Troll

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:54 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Troll
Trollbait

piscator

Post by piscator » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:00 am

Carroteater

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Religious apologists, particularly those of the Christian variety, are big fans of what I have dubbed, the atheist atrocities fallacy. Christians commonly employ this fallacy to shield their egos from the harsh reality of the brutality of their own religion, by utilizing a most absurd form of the tu quoque (“you too”) fallacy, mingled with numerous other logical fallacies and historical inaccuracies. Despite the fact that the atheist atrocities fallacy has already been thoroughly exposed by Hitchens and other great thinkers, it continues to circulate amongst the desperate believers of a religion in its death throes. Should an atheist present a believer with the crimes committed by the Holy See of the Inquisition(s), the Crusaders and other faith-wielding misanthropes, they will often hear the reply; “Well, what about Stalin, Pol Pot and Hitler? They were atheists, and they killed millions!”

Given the obstinate nature of religious faith and the wilful ignorance it cultivates in the mind of the believer, I am quite certain that this article will not be the final nail in this rancid and rotting coffin. Having said this, I do hope it will contribute to the arsenal required by those who value reason, facts and evidence, in their struggle against the fallacies perpetually flaunted by those who do not value the truth above their own egocentric delusions, delusions inspired by an unquenchable thirst for security, no matter how frighteningly false its foundation.
https://richarddawkins.net/2014/10/the- ... n-pol-pot/

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:30 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
Religious apologists, particularly those of the Christian variety, are big fans of what I have dubbed, the atheist atrocities fallacy. Christians commonly employ this fallacy to shield their egos from the harsh reality of the brutality of their own religion, by utilizing a most absurd form of the tu quoque (“you too”) fallacy, mingled with numerous other logical fallacies and historical inaccuracies. Despite the fact that the atheist atrocities fallacy has already been thoroughly exposed by Hitchens and other great thinkers, it continues to circulate amongst the desperate believers of a religion in its death throes. Should an atheist present a believer with the crimes committed by the Holy See of the Inquisition(s), the Crusaders and other faith-wielding misanthropes, they will often hear the reply; “Well, what about Stalin, Pol Pot and Hitler? They were atheists, and they killed millions!”

Given the obstinate nature of religious faith and the wilful ignorance it cultivates in the mind of the believer, I am quite certain that this article will not be the final nail in this rancid and rotting coffin. Having said this, I do hope it will contribute to the arsenal required by those who value reason, facts and evidence, in their struggle against the fallacies perpetually flaunted by those who do not value the truth above their own egocentric delusions, delusions inspired by an unquenchable thirst for security, no matter how frighteningly false its foundation.
https://richarddawkins.net/2014/10/the- ... n-pol-pot/
So, the Wayback Machine fallacy meets the Tu Quoque fallacy...and the winner is....

The Wayback Machine fallacy is the winner and still champeen! :cheer:

The failure in Dawkins' reasoning, like the failure in your reasoning and the reasoning of every other Atheist is one of compositional fallacy, wherein the reasoning is that parts A, B, and C of object X have characteristics 1, 2, and 3, and therefore all of object X has those same characteristics.

To simplify for the simple minds here, the Wayback Machine fallacy proposes that evil things have been done in ancient (or even contemporary) history in the name of religion and therefore religion as a concept is inherently evil. The answer to that fallacy is of course to point out via the Tu Quoque fallacy that if one is going to commit a fallacy of composition by waving ancient acts about as justification for maligning the whole of religion, it's just exactly as correct to apply the same chain of reasoning to Atheists by pointing out that atheism may be likewise maligned by use of the Wayback Machine fallacy.

What Big Brain Dawkins, and you, fail to understand is that the reference to Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot et. al. is nothing more than a sarcastic and cutting rejoinder to the invocation of the Wayback Machine fallacy and the fallacy of composition committed by dredging up ancient evils committed by persons long dead as a condemnation of those alive today who have no culpability for those long-past acts, who, like Dawkins and you, also revile those long-past evils, and who themselves practice their religious beliefs peaceably and with nothing but the best of intentions for all.

Now your inevitable rejoinder is that modern-day religious zealots commit evils and act less than "Christian" in their condemnations of various social behaviors like homosexuality, adultery, and various other behaviors that they find to be "sinful."

This is certainly true of some religious zealots, but it is absolutely not true of others, which makes Big Brain Dawkins' and your condemnations of religion generally nothing more than mindless, reasonless bigotry and hatred.

Individuals are to be judged on their actions, and their actions alone. Those who commit crimes may be rightfully reviled, but to assign blame to the innocent for ancient acts done in the name of any ideology or belief whatsoever is intellectually and morally bankrupt and beneath contempt. The sins of the fathers cannot be rationally laid at the feet of the children. Only bigoted zealots like radical Muslims and Atheists try to do that as some sort of idiotic argument.

I will gladly join you and Dawkins at reviling the Inquisition, or the Intifada or any other social misbehavior by those of the past, but I decline to smear and tar everyone who happens to profess a religious belief with the same brush because I have more common sense, compassion, humanity, understanding, tolerance and intelligence than those who consistently do so.

If the shoe fits, rEv, wear it.